deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Ravnica's Mightiest Heroes  (Read 126 times)

Gexln

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Ravnica's Mightiest Heroes
« on: May 06, 2019, 08:47:32 am »
Ravnica's Mightiest Heroes

Not all are from Ravnica, but by the time our lord and savior Nicol Bolas, God Pharoah has made his evil twin aware of that, it will be too late! Avengers assemble!

Okay, so obviously the deck has some issues with speed, but any other constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated! Not trying to make it super competitive, just wanting to have some fun with it!

Judaspriester

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Ravnica's Mightiest Heroes
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 11:26:22 am »
As you have already said, the deck has speed problems. One reason for this is, that alot of your lands enters tapped. In order to clean up your manabase, i've noted the non-basics i would keep:
Evolving Wilds
Interplanar Beacon
Command Tower
Luxury Suite
Spire Garden
Temple Garden
Watery Grave
Terramorphic Expanse

We can still discus about Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse, but on a budget they are okay.

New lands I would add:
Ash Barrens (maybe replace Evolving Wilds?)
Exotic Orchard
Bountiful Promenade
Canopy Vista
Cascading Cataracts
Cinder Glade
Clifftop Retreat
Dragonskull Summit
Drowned Catacomb
Glacial Fortress
Hinterland Harbor
Isolated Chapel
Morphic Pool
Prairie Stream
Rootbound Crag
Sea of Clouds
Smoldering Marsh
Sulfur Falls
Sunken Hollow
Sunpetal Grove
Woodland Cemetery

The advantage here is, that most of the named lands may enter untapped if conditions are met. this should speed up your gameplay without harming the color fixing that much.

Then, Mana Artifacts. First, lets see what you have got:
Chromatic Lantern - very important
Firemind Vessel - may be nice, but is also slow
Mana Geode - seems okay
Manalith - there are strict better options
Ojutai Monument - do you really need this?
Sol Ring - very important
Burnished Hart - okay
Opaline Unicorn - not good but might help

what I would change here:
- replace Manalith with Darksteel Ingot or Coalition Relic
- replace Ojutai Monument  with Fellwar Stone

Then, if you feel like you need more ramp or mana fixing with artifacts, think about adding some Signets. According to your color pie Azorius Signet and Orzhov Signet would be the first choices here.

You could replace one of your mana dorks with Sylvan Caryatid (Channeler Initiate or Naga Vitalist maybe?).

Hmm.. by looking further I've noticed Evolution Sage. For her you may want to add some bounce lands to abuse her effect. But I don't suggest to do that because of 2 reasons:
1. since you got no tutors or exessive card draw it will be hard to get hands on her and the needed 2 bounce lands
2. no other synergies with landfall (or at least i've noticed none)

Then, what about Sun Titan? He could bring back some of your planeswalkers and some useful creatures like Martyr for the Cause, Burnished Hart or Sakura-Tribe Elder.

Sphere of Safety isn't that good in your deck, because you just got 9 enchantments. Baird, Steward of Argive would be better, since he also protects your planeswalkers.

allright, that was already alot of input, mostly focused on the mana base. It might look alot, but a 5 color deck usually stands and falls with it. Another important region would be removal, but before I make some suggestions here, I would like to know, how important removal is in your playgroup and what kind of removal may be important.

Happy brewing!
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Gexln

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 08:44:04 am »
Taking the suggestions given into it, I went through a heap of my cards and found solutions to a fair few of the specific problems pointed out (though I don't own nearly enough of them to fix them completely)

It also says I added an opaline unicorn and also terramorphic expanse, but I just decided to replace other cards instead of them. It's not the best manabase by a long shot, but I think i'm getting closer to how I want it to be.

As for the question about removal, I'd say it's not of critical importance to have a lot of it, but having some is definitely a good idea. I sort of want to put more in, but I'm not quite sure what I would put in and more importantly what i'd take out to put it in. It's not very often I see indestructible creatures on the boards of our playgroup, so that's not an issue.

Revision 5

Added/removed cards:
-1 Darksteel Citadel
-2 Mountain
-1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
-1 Timber Gorge
+1 Morphic Pool
+1 Opaline Unicorn
+1 Terramorphic Expanse

Changed amounts:
-1 Forest
+1 Island
+2 Plains
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 08:47:49 am by Gexln »

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 10:42:24 am »
Im always happy to help. :)

About the removal: the information that indestructible isn't a big deal already helps. That makes it easier to build a removal suit. I've taken a look around at my decks and noted some removal cards that could be interesting for you. You can then pick the most useful for your play group.
Crush Contraband
Cyclonic Rift (expensive!)
Hull Breach
Decimate
Swords to Plowshares
Vandalblast
Citywide Bust
Krosan Grip (potent combo killer because of split second)
Disenchant
Fade Away (very nasty against go wide strategies or if your playgroup tends to tap out)
Tormod's Crypt
Scavenger Grounds
Blasphemous Act
Terminate
Curtains' Call
Putrefy
Windgrace's Judgment
Darksteel Mutation (against decks that lack enchantment removal, this can hurt way more than killing an opponents commander or important creature)
Imprisoned in the Moon (see above)

About cuts:
God-Pharaoh's Statue (nice effect, but at least for me to expensive manawise)
Thran Temporal Gateway (unless you want to use it for flash, it doesn't gives you a huge advantage manawise)
Evolution Sage (nice effect, but the deck doesn't work around landfall)
Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage (nice effect, but do you really need flash for your stuff?)
Skyship Plunderer (better play Thrummingbird in stead)
The Elderspell (very meta dependant, only interesting if your playgroup plays many planeswalkers)
The Eldest Reborn (not a bad card, but is the effect really worth the mana cost?)
Dovin, Hand of Control (interesting for control, but I don't think hes strong enough for superfriends)
Kaya, Bane of the Dead (fine if you have to deal alot with hexproof, if not there are cheaper alternatives)
Vraska, Swarm's Eminence (only strong in a deck with many deathtouch creatures)

Btw, what about Conflux? Its expensive, but gives you a huge card advantage and 5 counters for your commander (what would net out at +2 mana if you haven't used his ability already).
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.