deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Where do we go from here?  (Read 3784 times)

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
Where do we go from here?
« on: May 07, 2019, 11:59:51 am »
I know it probably won't be all that long until official news comes out, but there's nothing wrong with a little friendly speculation.

So where do you think we'll go next?  Somewhere new?  Somewhere familiar?  Will we see any familiar faces?  Will we see the next major villain or will wizards focus on smaller, self-contained stories for a while?

Side argument - Who was the better villain, for those that read the old invasion block and prior novels, Yawgmoth or Bolas?
A single victory is all I need.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Where do we go from here?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 02:10:51 pm »
I'd like to go somewhere new, but I wouldn't be against a return to Theros either.
This space for rent.

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 02:38:24 pm »
Okay, so if we went back to Theros (keep in mind I'm only vaguely up to date on that plane's lore), what would you like to see?

More enchantments matter?  As an EDH player, I think there's already enough of that. 

New Gods?

New walkers, or a return of old walkers?  (Elspeth)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 02:48:10 pm »
Elspeth is my favorite PW so that's probably the main reason I want to go back to Theros, to get resolution to her story. Could she be a zombie PW? Will it show her struggle to escape the underworld with help from some of the Gatewatch?

I'm also a huge zombie fiend, so any location that can give us neat new zombies I'm down for.

Enchantments matter really isn't a big thing for me. I have an Enchantments matter EDH deck and I hardly play it.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 04:01:14 pm »
I doubt we're returning to Theros for a full set, but the plane will show up in core sets and supplemental products. The core issue with the Theros block was that the mechanics were designed around the flavor of the plane (Greek Mythology), and they only really had enough flavor for one set.

But they still had to juice out enough for Born of the Gods and Journey into Nyx.

So I think that Theros's flavor had been exhausted, unless they do something like an Eldrazi or Phyrexian invasion.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 04:09:44 pm »
An enchantment/god flavored set but Phyrexianized..
Nils is the God I worship

Ylhyssia

• I love deck-building :3
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 07:14:46 pm »
Haven't they confirmed that the next set would take place on a new plane?

The rumor going around is that we'll finally see Kaldheim, the viking-inspired plane.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 07:24:22 pm »
Kaldheim has been rumored for a while and it's one I wouldn't mind.

If not a return to Theros, I wonder where/if we'll ever see Elspeth again.

This space for rent.

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 07:57:03 pm »
Haven't they confirmed that the next set would take place on a new plane?

The rumor going around is that we'll finally see Kaldheim, the viking-inspired plane.

A Viking flavored set would certainly tickle my fancy.  I've been tossing around ideas for a Skyrim themed custom set for a while.  Would we get gods similar to the old Norse gods?  perhaps our good buddy Thor would get a PW simile!  That would be dope.

When does the next standard set come out?  I'm guessing september

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 09:11:31 pm »
Pretty sure core set 2020 is next, likely some time in July.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 09:40:01 pm »
2020 should be in July then the next set in September.

This is what I could find on Core set 2020. https://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/core-set-2020
This space for rent.

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 05:16:08 am »
I would love to see a return to Theros because that is the block that got me back into Magic permanently after a near ten-year hiatus, me being a Classics major and all.

That being said, if we do go to a new plane, I too would love to see a Nordic myth-inspired world as well. No planeswalkers for me though, even new ones.  I'm done with the Justice League.

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 08:32:49 am »
maybe something around Jhoira and the Weatherlight crew...

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 09:35:54 am »
I would also like to see the weatherlight crew more, but unfortunately Weatherlight II can't planeshift.  Besides, I don't think wizards wants to make them the focal point of their story again, since they had a six year arc from weatherlight to apocalypse focusing on the original crew.  They'll show up next time we go to Dominaria, of course, but that's it most likely.  Don't get me wrong, I was excited to see that iconic ship return, but like I said, I'm hoping for something new, and more weatherlight, albeit with a new crew, is recycled material.  I know the phyrexians are going to return, and nobody more than me wants to see a rematch between phyrexia and the weatherlight, but I don't think it will happen, unless they figure out how to invade dominaria again.  I'm not very up to date on the New phyrexians, other than they took over mirrodin from a drop of glistening oil left behind by Karn, but from what I gather, they have no knowledge of the original phyrexia or yawgmoth or dominaria or the legendary struggle against urza.  correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm rambling.

I just want new content.  New places, new characters, like Davriel from Children of the Nameless.  I like him, I'd like to see more of him.

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 12:51:29 pm »
i don't like davriel's mask...maybe in leather was better than metallic