English-language Forums > Commander Discussion

Threat Assessment in Commander

<< < (12/13) > >>

WWolfe:

--- Quote from: Soren841 on May 26, 2019, 02:20:54 pm ---If the stax isn't stopping YOU from winning RIGHT NOW then leave it.

--- End quote ---

This times 100!

Morganator 2.0:

--- Quote from: Morganator 2.0 on May 12, 2019, 03:18:09 am ---You should only remove a stax piece if it is either hurting you more than other players, or if it is directly stopping you from winning. As with combo pieces, wait for the last possible moment to remove a stax piece.

--- End quote ---

If you are also playing a deck that wins by casting a lot of spells in one turn, then yes, remove the Damping Sphere. But even then, time your removal so that you will be the first to take advantage of it being gone. If you are a deck that wins through combat or incremental damage, then leave it alone.

Soren841:
Morg updoot and comment on Sliver Hulk

Red_Wyrm:

--- Quote from: Soren841 on May 26, 2019, 02:20:54 pm ---If the stax isn't stopping YOU from winning RIGHT NOW then leave it.

--- End quote ---

Gotcha. That's easy to remember.

I've never played a stax deck and never seen one played, so forgive me if this is noobish. If you play a stax card and it ends up preventing you from winning, or hurting you the most, do you remove your own piece? I would think you either rework the deck or quit magic.

Morganator 2.0:

--- Quote from: Red_Wyrm on May 26, 2019, 05:25:48 pm ---If you play a stax card and it ends up preventing you from winning, or hurting you the most, do you remove your own piece? I would think you either rework the deck or quit magic.

--- End quote ---

Rework the deck is the best option. If you're making a stax deck, you want to have some way to work around or mitigate your own stax effects.

For example, my first stax deck was Ruric Thar, the Unbowed. I used lots of creatures for mana ramp, which meant I was less affected by cards like Winter Orb, Magus of the Moon, Trinisphere, and Null Rod. Because I was using stax effects that weren't hurting me, I never had a reason to remove them.

My current stax deck is Captain Sisay. In it, I have Gaddock Teeg, who shuts down my own combo (I can't play Paradox Engine). But I do need Gaddock to deal with certain decks. My solution to this problem is by using Miren, the Moaning Well to sacrifice Gaddock right before I am going to combo.

That's the main thing with building a stax deck; you need to include stax effects that will hurt your opponent's more than you, and you need to have some way to work around them if they do hurt you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version