deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Games you've enjoyed  (Read 49529 times)

Bonethousand

• Decks
Re: Games you've enjoyed
« Reply #180 on: March 04, 2022, 02:22:50 pm »
I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords!

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2022, 05:29:59 pm »
Yesterday I played my first proper games of cEDH, piloting Winota. I had played some games with borrowed decks before, but this was the first time piloting a deck that I had chosen and studied carefully.

Opponents: Tymna&Kraum, Urza and Muldrotha. T&K are already out of the game, and the Urza player is in control with a Grafdigger's Cage that stops me from using Winota and the Muldrotha player from using some of his graveyard combos. Moreover, he also control some huge constructs (like 9/9) created by Urza's Saga and Urza himself.

I have on the board a Legion Warboss, some goblin tokens, a Mother of Runes, a Spirit of the Labyrinth, and eight lands.  In hand, two lands and Shatterskull Smashing.

The Urza player decides to send two Constructs at the Muldrotha player to finish him, leaving one construct, Urza and a Consecrated Sphinx to defend himself, thinking he is safe.

On my turn, I play land, then tap out to cast a gigantic Shatterskull Smashing for X=7, dealing 10 damage to the construct and 4 to Urza, taking them out and clearing the path for the win.

Who says that big splashy spells have no place in cEDH??  ;D
Golgari is life. And death.

rdeward6

• Decks
« Reply #182 on: March 22, 2022, 02:57:15 am »
Getting my Tiamat Opposition Agented, the the lab man goes missing.  Happened live on stream with a recap video here (I tried to make it funny)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyBXk4E64MA

mynameiscalled

• I'm your one-man cult
    • MiseryBusinessMTG
  • Decks
« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2022, 11:30:24 am »
I teached my GF how to play MtG. Recently we moved out of the "baby decks" and I made her (what I concider) Tier 1 Boros Burn deck. After a few casual warm-up games we moved to BO3 scenario with sideboarding and all the official stuff. She beat me straight up 2:0 vs my Zoo, with last game, her having only 1 life in the end. The joy and accomplishment in her face just made my day :)

It's a simple thing and a random kitchen-table modern, but enjoyed every minute of getting my ass whooped by her and the look in her eyes after the game.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 09:10:42 am by mynameiscalled »

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #184 on: May 24, 2022, 11:40:06 am »
A few nights back I had someone use their Memnarch to gain control of my Crypt Ghast. Because I played an Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth their islands also produced a black mana whenever they're tapped. He used his new abundance of mana to gain control of my Scarab God. So now he had access to all creatures in graveyards.

"I'm the Scarab God deck deck now!"

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #185 on: May 24, 2022, 02:44:36 pm »
Got to cast a Soul of Eternity and copy it with Jaxis, the Troublemaker onto a board with Warstorm Surge and Teleportation Circle. So that felt pretty great. Immediately set the life total clock to single digits.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2022, 02:33:24 am »
Got together with my friends and played some games in which we were allowed to play proxies of cards from Baldur's Gate. Gotta say, loving Cultist of the Absolute in Sidisi.

Down to me and one other player, he plops down Platinum Emperion. He wanted to single target Sidisi with Cyclonic Rift but he can't because he can't pay life for the ward cost from Cultist of the Absolute. I end up with a huge army of zombies a few turns later but it does no good because of the Emperion. Then it hits me...commander damage! I've hit him 3 times and he's at 18 commander damage. Swing for commander damage and win the game. Had to find the ruling to show that commander damage still counted even if the life total couldn't change.

Fun game and already shows me the 75 cents Cultist of the Absolute is going to cost is worth it. Unfortunately I didn't draw any of the other cards I proxied from the set.
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #187 on: June 13, 2022, 11:22:47 am »
I have recently discovered a new MTG variant that I wanted to share with you guys because it is FUCKING WILD.

I'm not sure who exactly came up with it, but I first saw it shared by Cal from Playing With Power.

The variant is called Forgetful Fish. The decklist and primer are below.

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/2583855-forgetful-fish

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/463704#primer

Holy shit is this fun.

The TL;DR
=======

It's an 80 card deck that is shared by both players. The only creatures in the deck are 10 Dandân. As such, you can only deal damage in increments of 4, so get hit 5 times and you're dead.

The rest of the deck is made up of tricks.

Having a shared library makes for some incredibly interesting play patterns. A lot of the deck is focused on top deck manipulation and instant speed card draw.

The card choice is immaculate. Every card plays an important role in one situation or another.

The stack gets crazy. My buddy and I played some games last night and there were points where the stack was 8 spells/triggers deep.

We likened it to games of bluff framed within the MTG rule set.

The best part is, apart from two Mystical Tutors, the whole thing is made up of bulk chaff. You can knock it together for less than the price of a Commander Precon.

If you like the mind games of MTG or love when a stack gets crazy, I highly recommend giving it a go. The linked primer goes into great detail of some of the nuance of the game, more in depth in the rules etc.

It is an absolute blast.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2022, 08:35:20 am »
Played a game against Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (group slug), Kykar, Wind's Fury (spellslinger / storm) and Miirym, Sentinel Wyrm (Dragons) with my Kami of the Crescent Moon deck. Damage flew everywhere because people were attacking aggressively due to Roiling Vortex putting a clock on everyone. I won the game because I resolved a Psychosis Crawler which I copied twice with Replication Technique. Gave Torbran the copy of Replication Technique and convinced them to copy Roiling Vortex.

Since Torbran was out everyone was taking 6 in their upkeeps and I had some draw engines out so everyone was taking a ton of damage per rotation. Finally I Stifle one of the Roiling Vortex triggers leaving me at 2 life, played Dictate of Kruphix (for a total of 3 draws with Kami out) dealing 9 damage to everyone. Proceed to attacks with Psychosis Crawlers and deal the remaining damage.

No max hand size shenanigans this time. I dubbed myself the mono blue group slug deck which I thought was funny. The Roiling Vortex(es) dealt a total of 54 damage in the game. Psychosis Crawlers dealt around 30 damage with the triggers and then some from combat.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2022, 10:41:59 am »
IT FINALLY HAPPENED!

Playing a game last night, decks as follows:

Friend 1: Neera, Wild Mage chaos stuff
Friend 2: Sisay, Weatherlight Captain superfriends
Friend 3:  Lathril, Blade of the Elves unaltered precon
Me: A ridiculous Roon of the Hidden Realm deck I made that only plays creatures that you would find in a zoo, and uses things like Frogify, Kenrith's Transformation and Generous Gift to turn opponents non-zoo appropriate creatures (dragons, merfolk etc.) into zoo animals, but only non-zoo creatures. If your creature would be found in a zoo, then it's safe.

Friend 1 and 2 weren't up to much in the early game. 1 just takes a while to get going and 2 got land screwed. Friend 3 had a very strong early game (that Lathril Precon is legitimately good by the way. Friend 3 has just got back from travelling and just wanted something to play out the box and likes elves and it performed very well. Very good precon).

So it's up to me to keep player 3 in check. I fire off no less than 8 transformative spells (I don't know about you guys, but I have never seen an elf in a zoo) and just about keep us all from dying.

Then I bring out the big guns. Thanks to some fundraising efforts and a government grant, the zoo was able to build a great ape enclosure. Kogla, the Titan Ape joined the party.

Originally I picked Roon as the commander because all the transformative spells are in Bant and he's a rhino, but it turns out he is very good with Kogla.

My board was a Kogla, Auramancer (humans act as zoo visitors in the deck), Roon and a Scouting Hawk. Over the course of several turn cycles I was able to repeatedly blink Kogla and fight anything too scary (or not zoo appropriate), protect it by bouncing Auramancer and using Auramancer's ETB to get back my transforming auras.

Elf deck was in check and people were starting to consider me (or more accurately, Kogla) the threat. The Chaos player fires off a copied Chaos Warp and targets his own transformed creature with the copy and Kogla with the original.

He resolves his chaos warp and flips into...a cantrip. No bueno.

My turn.

I shuffle Kogla in.
Offer friend 3 a cut of the deck. He accepts.
Offer friend 2 a cut of the deck. He accepts.
Offer friend 1 a cut of the deck. He declines.

The anticipation is high. Could this be it?

I blind flip the top card of the deck, slam it down on the table and move my hand to reveal...

KOGLA THE MOTHERFUCKING TITAN APE!!!!

I use his ETB fight trigger to fight Neera, Wild Mage out of pure, animalistic spite.

On July 19th, at around 10pm, in the midst of a record breaking heatwave, we witnessed the elusive and historical Chaos-Warp-flip-into-the-same-thing.

I have only felt this specific kind of joy one other time in my life. It was glorious.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 10:46:47 am by CleanBelwas »

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #190 on: August 20, 2022, 01:19:16 pm »
Completed a personal Commander bucket list goal the other night.

Killed the whole table using only Reckless Fireweaver triggers.

No infinite combos.

Bjorna, Nightfall Alchemist and Wernog, Rider's Chaplain with Lurrus of the Dream-Den as companion. Everything is 2 mana or less.

Just value and loops. Goblin Welder, Servo Schematic, Synod Sanctum, Dockside Extortionist. Fireweaver got killed a few times, but Unearth, Animate Dead and Dance of the Dead meant they weren't dead for long.

So satisfying.

kaney_force

• Decks
« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2022, 09:45:04 pm »
If I'm with my friends we always play FIFA. It's boring sometimes, of course, but we all really enjoy it. When I'm alone I like to play games with new slots, sometimes it gets boring to play by myself, so if you want to join me just write

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2022, 12:56:13 am »
I've had a lot of fun trying to beat each opponent a different way in a game.  For instance, I once milled a player, attacked with a big flyer to take out the next player, and then used direct damage to take out the third.  It was an aristocrats deck, and I had loop built up that let me net a treasure and a spirit token and a +1/+1 counter on my Twilight Drover.  The part that made it the most fun was that I hadn't intentionally built towards that loop.  I just built the deck with a lot of synergy and was able able to just discover the combo organically as the game progressed.  I think that's the most fun thing that can happen in a game, discovering an interaction that just seems busted all of a sudden out of nowhere.
My earliest memory of this was when I used Awe Strike to prevent my own Skirk Fire Marshal ability after someone played a Heroic Intervention (or something like that, it couldn't have been Heroic Intervention, since it hadn't been printed yet at the time, but I digress) to try to save their board.  I turned what would have been a one sided board wipe, against myself, into gaining a couple hundred life for 1 mana.  It felt really great, and even better in that I realized I could do it about the same time it became a good option.  I've been chasing those moments for the past couple decades, and that may be why I still play Magic after all these years.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 12:04:46 am by stuffnsuch »

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2022, 04:16:58 pm »
Played a game last night with my simic super friends deck that went about 10 turns. Mono white player just died by being drained for 36 life in one shot and I got put to 9 from another massive drain. The Queza, Augur of Agonies player is set to win on his next turn, and the Faldorn, Dread Wolf Herald player is desperately trying to rebuild an empty board. I'm completely in the tank for the rest of the go-around the table trying to figure out how I'm going to beat the Queza player who has >120 hp with mostly combat strats. It makes it around to me and I draw into Deepglow Skate, drop a Vivien Reid, drop the skate, ultimate my Jace, Architect of Thought and the Vivien. Tutor an Apex Devastator, an Aminatou's Augury, and a Peer into the Abyss. Aurgury into a Vorinclex, Monsterous Raider, a few non-creature pump spells. Cast the Peer on the Queza player (commander was dead at this point) and win a counter war over it, and am able to pump my squad of like five 6/6's into 30 somethings and combat kill the board. Before my turn, the Queza player was said to the table, "Wow, he's really in the tank trying to pull this one out." And it felt great to figure it out.

Shout out to Deckstats for being able to pull my deck up on my phone while trying to figure out my Jace ultimate plan.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #194 on: November 13, 2022, 07:13:40 pm »
Yesterday someone used Chaos Warp on my Lightning Greaves equipped to Licia, Sanguine Tribune. I jokingly say "Watch, I'm going to flip into Bolas's Citadel". I shuffle my deck, have that person cut the deck,and I flip the top card. Guess which card it was?

And that's why we only use Chaos Warp on real threats.