deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Games you've enjoyed  (Read 48455 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Games you've enjoyed
« on: May 12, 2019, 03:56:32 pm »
My return to playing this weekend was mixed. In three games Friday night my Sidisi went 0-2 (was targeted off the bat by players who were use to it's nonsense) while my Grand Arbiter went 0-1 (just couldn't draw any of it's win-cons). Saturday was the exact opposite, Sidisi went 1-0 while Grand Arbiter went 2-0. All three wins were out of nowhere. One of the GAA wins was casting Finale of Glory for 15 and then Teferi's Protection to ensure I untapped on my next turn with everything while in the final 2.

The other GAA win was, with Leyline of Anticipation on the battlefield, I cast Windfall with each opponent drawing 8 which gave me 24 treasures from Smothering Tithe, I then drew Finale of Glory (did I mention this card is good?). An opponent had Pandemonium out, I then used just damage from Pandemonium to take out two opponents. On my turn moved straight to combat, swung out and took out the last player.

My Sidisi win was Jarad's Order, putting Craterhoof into the bin & Body Double into my hand. Cast Body Double targeting Craterhoof giving all my creatures +12/12 and taking out all three opponents.

So what recent games have you really enjoyed?
This space for rent.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
Re: Games you've enjoyed
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 02:36:46 pm »
Not really related to the thread, but when you cast teferi's protection, did you do that right after you cast finale of glory, or did you wait for someone to try and wrath of god to kill your board first and cast it in response? Do you think you should've done it the way that you did or was it a mistake? Well I guess you won, so it isn't a mistake, right?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 08:40:40 am by Red_Wyrm »
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 04:06:56 pm »
Right after the opponent let Finale resolve. I had nothing else I could have done on my turn and was taking no chance on something weird.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 05:31:18 pm »
Just last night I had a pretty fun game. I was playing Captain Sisay against Marwyn, the Nurturer and Brago, King Eternal. All of these decks are at competitive level. Turn order was Brago, Sisay, then Marwyn.

I had a very strong turn 1 (Bountiful Promenade -> Sol Ring -> Talisman of Unity -> Concordant Crossroads), which allowed me to have Sisay out by turn two, and I would be ready to combo turn 3. Brago managed to play Meekstone on turn 2 (which slowed Marwyn, but not me) and played Static Orb turn 3, immediately before my turn. That hurt, but I had a plan. I used Sisay to search up Yisan, the Wanderer Bard, knowing that on my next turn I could get Caustic Caterpillar out to destroy the Static Orb. Brago knew this, and used Wrath of God to stop me.

At this point it seemed like Brago might have the game. All they were missing was a draw outlet. They re-cast Brago, got Sword of Feast and Famine equipped to him to get even more ramp, so Brago would be able to play anything he drew. At this point, he had no cards in hand. When it came to my turn, I got lucky, and top-decked Nature's Claim.

If you've been reading the threat assessment thread, pay attention. I passed my turn, so that Marwyn was still under the effect of Static Orb. So she did nothing. On Marwyn's end step, I cast Nature's Claim, because Brago had no cards in hand (so no counterspell) and enough mana that they didn't have to worry about their own Static Orb, they would have been able to cast anything they drew, and I couldn't risk the potential counterspell. Static Orb was gone.

Brago went to untap all their permanents. "Hold on," I said, "you don't get to untap Brago." "Why not?" "Because of your own Meekstone." He had Sword of Feast and Famine equipped, making Brago a 4/6, and he forgot about the Meekstone.

Brago drew a land, passed the turn, and I won on my turn by re-casting Sisay, getting Paradox Engine, and winning with a combo.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:50:24 pm by Morganator 2.0 »

Quentil

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 08:03:33 pm »
https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,45719.0.html

Etc.

In general, I enjoy games that are competitive.  I don't enjoy routing people over and over, nor do I want to just lose all of the time, either.  I'd much rather lose a close game than win 1000 blowouts because I spent more money or they can't draw mana.  As a side (and mostly off-topic) thought, I find that the better my decks get, the less interest I have in using them.  If they start winning the vast majority of the time, I tend to dig out some cards and come up with something new.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:10:02 pm by Quentil »

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 08:28:34 pm »
I'm obsessed with janky stuff, so I printed out a playtest proxy for a Taniwha bounce deck. I was against Arahbo, Roar of the World cat tribal and Tatyova, Benthic Druid land(fall) deck.

Tatyova really took off and soon had ~30 lands in play. Cue Sylvan Awakening, "swing for lethal against all". It was the single most glorious Aetherize I've ever played. Tatyova player had a deep "you have to be kidding me" look on his face and said "...yeah, I'll go to discard, this will take a while".

Ended up losing because the Tatyova player was able to cast all the lands back from the grave and smash our faces. But it was still the single most legendary moment, holding that Aetherize, thinking to myself "imagine if they played Sylvan Awakening" - and it happens. The all out attack meant that there was no mana for a counterspell either. Glorious.

https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/1266627-topsy-turvy-phasing-bounce-fat/en
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Izzet808

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 10:01:33 pm »
Played my coin flip deck. Played Combat Celebrant, gave him haste with Hanweir Battlements. Both Okaun, Eye of Chaos and Zndrsplt, Eye of Wisdom was out, and a Klark's Thumb. Equipped Whisper Silk Cloak and then went to combat. Flipped for Zndrsplt first, got 5 coin flips right. Went to flip for Okaun, got 3 coin flips right. I drew 8 cards total and Okaun is at 768 power, unblockable shroud. Attacked my friend to my right with Combat Celebrant and Okaun. I exerted the Celebrant, got my extra Combat Phase. Went to combat, and flipped for Zndrsplt, got 4 flips in a row. Flipped for Okaun and got 4 flips as well. Drew another 8 cards and attacked the last player for 196,608 commander damage, ftw. Very swingy and hilarious.

Other times, I'm satisfied when my deck does its thing, I'm fine with losing. Yet, there are games where an opponent is boasting and I come out of nowhere:
I'm playing my group hug deck, Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis, and had a decent set-up - Ghostly Prison and Norn's Annex with Howling Mine and some other stuff out. Guy to my left played Avenger of Zendikar before, and now played March of the Multitudes at my end step, convoking like crazy. He also had a Doubling Season by the way and so things aren't looking so good. He threatens everyone at the table. He decides not to attack and wait. Now everyone is throwing down as much creatures as they can, but the guy is still like, "next turn I win." No one had a board wipe and now it's my turn. He looks at me and says, "if you can't do anything, I'm going to take you out first." I mean I really didn't have too much creatures. But I did have Insurrection. I stole the game. It was fun.

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 04:12:38 am »
I was playing my Reyhan, Last of the Abzan and Ikra Shadiqi the Usurper deck. I cast Damnation to wipe the board and in response, to save my stuff, cast Heroic Intervention. I was thinking that I had the game in the bag. My friend countered Heroic Intervention with Pact of Negation. We all lost our creatures. He had 5 lands in play so I cast Beast Within on one of his lands so come his upkeep, he didn't have enough mana to pay for Pact of Negation. He appreciated the play despite being the first one out.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 01:12:02 pm »
Playing my Grand Arbiter Augustin IV deck, opponents playing Marchesa the Black Rose, Muldrotha, and Tuvasa. Had pretty much kept everyone in check but had yet to draw my one win condition (Finale of Glory). Marchesa Windfalls, I cast Cyclonic Rift in response. Marchesa sacs some creatures in response (they all had +1/+1 counters on them). Windfall ends up being for 18, I had Smothering Tithe out so got 54 treasure tokens of it (already had 12 so this gave me 66). My turn I cast Teferi, Time Raveler, +1 him, then cast Taigam, Ojutai Master and pass turn. Tuvasa & Muldrotha both spend their turns trying to get some kind of board state going. Marchesa moves to combat and declares attacks (all on me, I was on the throne), I cast Finale of Glory in response for 60 giving me 58 2/2 soldiers & 58 4/4 Angels, Tuvasa goes to counter it with Swan Song but I just point at both Teferi's static ability & Taigam, and they all groan. Marchesa moves to his second main phase and attempts to cast his own Rift, I cast Cryptic Command. At this point they just picked up their cards & started shuffling for the next game.

Marchesa kicked himself the rest of the day for the Windfall. That 18 card draw gave me Taigam, Teferi, Cryptic Command, & Finale of Glory along with enough treasure tokens to cast it for well more than enough to swing out for lethal on the table (it also gave me another counter spell had I needed it).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:24:51 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 04:35:00 am »
In general, I homebrew decks that win their fair share of games.  Some do better than others, and some take more tuning than others, but I love playing other players' custom decks more than Net decks.  It provides better diversity andmore to figure out during a matchup than playing against the same two or three decks over and over again.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 01:55:01 pm »
I actually had a game I kinda didn't enjoy yesterday. I won on T4 with the Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck. (Phyrexian Altar + Gravecrawler + Diregraf Captain) I actually wasn't going to do it as I swapped in Tamiyo, Collector of Tales and actually drew her but by looking at an opponent's board and knowing his deck, I realized he was about to Hermit Druid out, so I figured I might as well.

A good win but at the same time, disappointing as I had played 3 other games with that deck and hadn't drawn Tamiyo, but naturally the game I do...
This space for rent.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 04:12:18 am »
Had a game I enjoyed last night that I would have enjoyed solely for my T2 play regardless of what happened after that but I ended up winning so it just made it all the more enjoyable.

T1- First player draws, discards Sheoldred, Whispering One to hand-size, and says go. I play an island and pass. Other two opponents play lands and pass.
T2- First player plays a swamp, reanimates Sheoldred losing 7 life, and passes. I play a land and Cyclonic Rift Sheoldred back to his hand.

Everyone at the table died laughing, well, almost everyone.
This space for rent.

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 04:24:46 am »
Had a game I enjoyed last night that I would have enjoyed solely for my T2 play regardless of what happened after that but I ended up winning so it just made it all the more enjoyable.

T1- First player draws, discards Sheoldred, Whispering One to hand-size, and says go. I play an island and pass. Other two opponents play lands and pass.
T2- First player plays a swamp, reanimates Sheoldred losing 7 life, and passes. I play a land and Cyclonic Rift Sheoldred back to his hand.

Everyone at the table died laughing, well, almost everyone.

Wait? So cyclonic rift is actually useful? good to know it isn't just another useless overlord card. Insert winky face, it isn't working.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 04:28:34 am »
Amazing isn't it?

I can't remember the last time I used Cyc Rift on a single target.
This space for rent.

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 04:32:24 am »
Amazing isn't it?

I can't remember the last time I used Cyc Rift on a single target.

I used it on song of the dryads once. They cast it on my skittles and my opponent had 8 poison counters. But yeah usually its a win condition. It is a great design of a card, to have purpose early and late game, but perhaps the overlord mechanics should only allow you to overlord at sorcery speed, that way you can still bounce something at instant speed.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red