deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Games you've enjoyed  (Read 49903 times)

Eryx92

• Casual EDH Player with questionable Deckbuilding.
  • Decks
Re: Games you've enjoyed
« Reply #135 on: July 19, 2021, 08:54:55 am »
I was playing with friends I haven't seen for ages. It's more of a casual playgroup, so the games tend to last a while. I played my Mimeoplasm goodstuff pile. Turns out one of my opponents had an Inkwell Leviathan in his graveyard, while I had Lord of Extinction in my own.

It was quite satisfying to hit 3 people for 126 commander damage each. :)
RIP Golos. <3

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2021, 10:18:32 pm »
Three man pod playing Lord Windgrace and Aminatou, playing my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant for the first time since I retooled it away from Zombie tribal. Dropped Aphetto Alchemist morphed down, it skated around the board first time. Next turn I draw, play a land and pass. On the opponent before mines endstep I turn him face up and do the dance of tapping-untapping him with Mesmeric Orb out creating infinite zombies. Aminatou player goes to Cyc Rift, I drop Frilled Mystic in response. They scooped.

It felt good for the first time playing it since retooling it.
This space for rent.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2021, 09:42:35 am »
Interesting game tonight. Playing my Varina, Lich Queen that I'm still retooling against Lord Windgrace, Abomination of Llanowar, and a newer player playing my Sidisi deck. Abomination Player looks at our swarms of zombies and goes to cast Kindred Dominance naming Elves...without noticing I had Vengeful Dead out. The Windgrace player asks if he's sure he wants to do that. Abomination says yes he's sure. Well Windgrace asks again, this time pointing at Vengeful Dead. Abomination player still doesn't catch what is going on. By this point, the newer player had caught on to what was getting ready to happen and said, what a moment. Leaned over and asked me if he could do something and I told him yes, that would be the correct play if the guy was insistent on playing Kindred Dominance. So the new guy says "in response, I'll cast Cyclonic Rift on the Vengeful Dead and save our asses from dying". I busted out laughing, so did the Windgrace player. The Abomination player looked confused, so I picked up Vengeful Dead and handed it to him, pointed out there were around 45 zombies in play between me and Sidisi while none of their lives were above 22, and he just said "Oh".

The Abomination player was the same guy that previously did the Thassa's Oracle - Hermit Druid combo with Temple Bell out. Maybe one day he'll learn to look at the board before doing something.

Second game- Everyone playing same decks except Sidisi and I switch decks cause I'm still playtesting Sidisi to figure out what I want it to be while I'm retooling it (basically all zombies are in Varina except 3). I've been toying around with Staff of Domination in it since I now have around 10 creatures who tap to do something in the deck to include a combo with Krosan Restorer untapping 3 lands (preferably Cabal Coffers, Nykthos, or Gaea's Cradle along with two other lands to pay for Coffers or Nykthos cost). Long story short- around turn 9 I have Muldrotha out with Staff of Dom in the GY. Cast Staff of Dom as my artifact for the turn and proceed to do the infinite combo for blue mana with Nykthos and Krosan Restorer. After establishing infinite blue mana, I'm using the draw card ability to draw through my deck and search for a win condition when it clicks in my head...Bond of Insight! So I cast Bond of Insight, mill the four cards, and target Swan Song and Torment of Hailfire from my graveyard as the two cards to return to my hand. Announce Torment of Hailfire for a million, Varina casts Pact of Negation, I Swan Song it. He grins and announces Counterspell. I grin back and play Frilled Mystic as my creature for turn from Muldrotha. At this point Windgrace moans and scoops. Abomination just sits there and shakes his head.

I enjoy playing with these guys but I really miss my "normal" playgroup. We just haven't been able to get together that much because of the pandemic and well, life in general. These guys I'm playing with now are all newer (2 or 3 years at most) to playing and when a good chunk of that was the pandemic that they really didn't get to play that much during, I feel like the schoolyard bully at times and find myself taking it easy at times unless I'm just ready for a game to end.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 10:41:53 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2021, 06:27:47 pm »
Playing my Varina, Lich Queen deck against Marchesa, the Black Rose, Kenrith, the Returned King, and Prosper, Tome Bound.

Swing out for lethal at the opponent I considered the biggest threat when another player cast Consume the Meek in a political move to keep them in the game to help deal with me. I had 18 zombies (mostly tokens at this point) on the field. Plopped down Liliana's Standard Bearer after combat and drew 18 cards. Among those 18 cards were Gravecrawler, Phyrexian Altar , and Diregraf Captain for the aristocrats win. I would have been slightly disappointed if I had drawn 18 cards and couldn't figure out a way to win the game from there but it felt like a really nice recovery from what could have been a huge setback.
This space for rent.

TonyStark24

• Decks
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2021, 06:42:46 pm »
When we got together after a long absence from EDH, and Commanders were- (me) Alesha, who smiles at death, Grenzo, Havoc Raiser, who can steal the top card of an opponent's deck when a creature deals damage to that player, and Yurlok of Scorch Thrash which brings back Mana Burn, each of our decks did its thing, Yurlok cast a Coercive Portal at just the right moment to OOOPS -- save us from the Yurlok infinite combo using an Umbral Mantle, he reveals the Mantle he drew, and then we remember the Portal trigger. Both Jordan (Grenzo) and I choose Carnage, since we're roasted if we don't. Field is cleared and we kept going to finish just in time for the next event. All players were friendly and patient with mistakes, doesn't really matter who won, but we all were able to interact, recur, and cast some big personal favorite spell.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2021, 05:30:57 pm »
Played some 1v1 games yesterday (everyone else at the store was drafting a cube or working). Playing some 1v1 games against my friends new Belbe deck that he was dying to try out for the first time. Belbe had hurt my Sidisi deck very badly after some questionable starting hands that I kept. I switched to Skullbriar and was quickly reminded why that deck was such a nightmare in 1v1. The games weren't even close. It got to a point where Skullbriar had 16 counters on him after some doubling and then doubling again craziness that I was able to pull off and him already at 15 commander damage. He was able to put out some chump blockers each turn to keep me from dealing the last commander damage to finish the game. After 5 or so turns of that he finally scooped.

Overall a good afternoon of games but it showed me how Sidisi thrives better in multiplayer games with some of the starting hands I kept. I gotta admit, I did enjoy the games with Skullbriar. Man that deck is nasty 1v1.
This space for rent.

fire5167

• Decks
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2021, 07:27:44 pm »
8)   Ultimated Mordenkainen for his emblem at the prerelease today.   8)

I also won a game with Mordenkainen the other day, or rather, with his dog. Opponent was at 20 life and had one blocker. I had 6 cards in hand, but then ulted The Royal Scions destroying the blocker and pumping the dog to lethal damage. This was in EDH.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2021, 11:10:53 pm »
Playing my Sidisi deck against Xantcha, Alela, and Queen Marchesa. Was pretty much shut out of Sidisi all game, the Alela deck just had tons of answers for her every time she hit the field. However, I drew into Staff of Domination and Torment of Hailfire. I had milled Demonic Tutor one of the few triggers I had gotten of Sidisi. Drew Bond of Insight, cast it, brought back Demonic Tutor and Cyclonic Rift. Searched up Krosan Restorer and dropped it that turn. By my next turn Alela and Marchesa were both tapped out so unless they had free counter spells I was golden. Dropped Staff of Domination, tapped Gaea's Cradle for 7, tapped Krosan Restorer to untap Cradle and two other lands, used Staff to untap Restorer and then untapped Staff. Infinite mana. Cast Torment of Hailfire for a million and won the game.

For a game where I was shut out of my main win con (combat by swarming the board with zombie tokens from Sidisi) pretty much the entire game, I knew I had to draw into a combo and it felt good to do it.
This space for rent.

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2021, 02:44:50 am »
My Grumgully deck against an Ashaya, Lathril, and Willowdusk. The game started awfully, I had to mulligan down to 5 before I had a usable hand. Three lands, including a Gnottvold Slumbermound, Heroic Intervention, and Obscuring Haze. The Lathril and Willowdusk decks didn't end up doing much of anything the whole game, just poking at Ashaya a little bit.
I get Grumgully out, then Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin on the next turn, and Pridemalkin after that. Start building up a goblin army poking at Lathril and Willowdusk since they've got nothing to kill him at the moment, using them to just keep Ashaya off me. I dropped a few mostly inconsequential creatures as well throughout the game, and a Volt Charge to buff everything up.
Ashaya gets a Druid Class up to max level, turning a Forest into basically another Ashaya, manages to drop in Embodiment of Insight and Kamahl, Heart of Krosa, as well as a dead on arrival hydra of some sort, off of Selvala's Stampede. They take out Lathril, then Willowdusk, after Willowdusk finally managed to deal with my Krenko but not the dozens of goblins on hand. Swings at me, I Obscuring Haze it. Next turn they tap out everything but Ashaya, the pseudo-Ashaya Forest, and a few tokens on ramp spells and recurring those ramp spells to do them again hoping to just trample over me. I block Ashaya fatally with goblin tokens, and nearly the Forest too, and Heroic Intervention it. On my turn I remember the Gnottvold Slumbermound and use it to blow up the Forest to swing in for fatal.
They weren't really expecting to have their attack completely canceled out twice in a row, and that won it for me. If they had just stuck to "Threateningly Big" for Ashaya for a couple of turns instead of trying to go for overkill in one to be sure they'd have won instead. Felt good.

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2021, 07:53:23 pm »
Playing my Esix, Fractal Bloom deck and made something like 100 creatures in a turn and pumped them up to 7/7's. Wish I could remember exactly what the board looked like, but either way it was a disaster for the rest of the table. Dropped a Garruk's Uprising, and swung out. Killed off everyone except the Niv-Mizzet Reborn player who cast Inkshield. I was excited by the hundreds of damage I was about to put out, until he turned it into thousands aimed back at me. Nothing wrong with a good Deflecting Palm style loss though.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2021, 02:24:58 pm »
About 2 weeks ago I had something that normally doesn't happen but it was definitely fun. Majority of my decks I just play to have fun with nothing spectacular/combos yadda yadda yadda. This particular game I was playing my Araumi of the Dead Tide deck and I forget what my other 2 friends were playing. I am doing nothing special but just putting stuff into my graveyard and hoping to get Araumi out on the board just to encore creatures. One player has Repercussion out on the battlefield not to big of a deal. I got Araumi out a turn before Repercussion hits the field. Then it comes player #2 turn. He goes into combat and says "I am swinging at you player #1". Player #1 says "If you do and I block, repercussion will activate and we'll both die". Player #2 goes "Well I have to because if not your next turn you are going to win so Robert wins instead". I am going wow I win by basically doing nothing. First time I ever won a game by doing absolutely nothing.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2021, 02:33:22 pm »
Didn't expect to post again so soon, but last night my playgroup threw together Golos decks using only cards from our binders and had an all-Golos slugfest, out of respect for the boy. It was the most fun I've had in commander in a long time. Just spinning wheels and playing those non-synergistic cards we've never found a home for in other decks. At one point I got to Divine Gambit an Eternal Witness into a It That Betrays, only to drop a Nicol Bolas Planeswalker in the same turn and steal it. Highly recommend the experience if your deckbuilding or matchups have becomes stale.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2021, 02:10:05 pm »
So I got smacked hard because of my own card last night. Playing my Varina against The Gitrog Monster, Atraxa, and Rhys. Gitrog ran nearly perfect the entire game, managed to Splendid Reclamation 17 lands from his GY back to the battlefield. Unfortunately he had Field of the Dead out so he got 17 zombie tokens. He then drops Concordant Crossroads and swings at me. No problem, I have plenty of zombie tokens to block him. Problem is I have Zombie Master out without a sac outlet. Domed for 34 because of my own zombie lord.
This space for rent.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2021, 10:32:46 pm »
New shop opened up in the area so a few of my normal playgroup thought we'd roll up and check it out. We ended being the only ones there (other people were coming in when we were leaving, apparently we just got there too early) but we played a couple games. The first game I ended up out second, don't even remember what commanders the others were playing but it was a good, competitive game. The second game I was playing Varina against Ghen, Gruul Omnath, and Svyelun of Sea and Sky. I took Svyelun out by cycling Gempalm Polluter for 11. Problem from there was I made myself too big a threat. Omnath spent basically every resource he had to take me out before my next turn (I had two thirds of the aristocrat win on board, just needed to make it back to my turn and play the last piece). He ended up losing to Ghen just because of how much he had put into taking me out.

Regardless, it was some really fun games and it felt great playing with my normal playgroup again. That alone made it enjoyable.
This space for rent.

musknikki09

• Decks
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2021, 12:41:15 pm »
Heroes of the Storm has its hooks in me, too. Tried lots of MOBA and that's the only one I played for more than a month, let alone years.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 02:50:54 am by Morganator 2.0 »