deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: The Incredibly low value of Planeswalkers - War Of The Spark  (Read 1278 times)

nifty129

So now that war of the spark has been out for a while.

I was thinking it was time to address the dropping estimated value per box, and more specifically the dropping walker value.

I just recently calculated that if you were to grab all 20 uncommon walkers in the set, you'd be looking at about 7 dollars, 5 without Narset.

So compare that to something like a curious obsession, a fatal push, or a light up the stage.

I guess what I'm asking is, do you think that the Wizards succeeded with the walker theme of this set to the same degree they did with legendaries in Dominaria.

Or in the end did it all just fall a little flat of your expectations.

No right answers, just have fun.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:35:51 pm by nifty129 »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: The Incredibly low value of Planeswalkers - War Of The Spark
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 11:59:40 pm »
What sites prices did you base this on? Not disputing your prices, just curious.

I think if you like planeswalkers then yea, it was probably a hit for ya. If some of them fit your decks, then yea it was probably a hit for ya. Personally I only like three of them and they all slotted into my GAA deck. But then again, I'm personally not a big fan of PW in my decks.
This space for rent.

nifty129

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 12:55:41 am »
All priced out on tcg, the average uncommon walker is about 10 cents, Saheli and Ashiok are a buck, Narset is two dollars. It struck me as strange with the set being about a week or two old. Narset is the only one seeing any competitive play, so that's about 5 percent walker viability rate. I would hate to open this product in sealed on draft events, could lead to a lot of hurt feelings.

Izzet808

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 04:19:19 am »
Mtg Goldfish lists the expected value of a box and pack. A pack comes out to about $2.90 and a box is about $105. They explain their methodology which is pretty logical.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-expected-value-of-war-of-the-spark

nifty129

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 05:13:18 am »
Used to be 130, like that's what a 25 percent drop in two weeks, that's rough. Guilds and allegiance are still at 115, and there older sets.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:23:18 am by nifty129 »

Leonixious

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 08:45:02 am »
I would have to say WotC did exactly what they intended. Any set that has an overabundance of a type of card (comparative to other sets), ie Legendries in Dom or Planeswalkers in War, the value of the majority of those cards are going to be low with a couple slightly more expensive ones.

As for playability value I'd say they kind of hit the ball again. Standard is having fun with them, Modern gets their couple they really like, and EDH gets new utility cards.

Now personally, I like seeing playability value. I don't really collect for Monetary value due to fact I never plan on selling my cards. But as an strictly EDH player who plays Focused or Optimized decks. I loved this set. There were plenty of cards that I used to upgrade my decks.

That all being said, I do think EDH players got the better end of the deal with War of the Spark.
Unpopular opinion: Mono-White is NOT the weakest color.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 10:38:37 am »
I'm (as EDH Player) happy with the new walkers. Especially the new Tamiyo and Ashiok offer a great utility comapred to the CMC. Some others are also kinda interesting because of their utility.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

BoBWiz

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 04:21:52 pm »
I totally agree with leonixious (and Judaspriester). In standard i've seeing some of the uc walkers, f.e. tybalt in mono red.
I really like this pws to optimize the decks.
I'm convinced some of the pws will get some more value during time ... and they trigger some things i like: legendery sorcerys, mox amber and board the weatherlight.

nifty129

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 04:58:07 pm »
I would certainly like to see the lesser known walkers get a uptick in play, but my bet is that it won't be till rotation in the fall.

It might be a similar situation that we got with Ixalan, where the ev popped up for a while when Kaladesh stopped overshadowing it.

So in that case we would need to loose cards like Og Tefari, Og Karn, Og Angrath.

The enchantments might be more useful too without search for Azkanta.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 10:46:58 pm »
I'm still hoping for a Koth in a future set.
This space for rent.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 11:00:02 pm »
I'm hoping they change their minds and let The Wanderer be Elspeth or Emrakul.  I would like to see more of a focus on different Planeswalkers.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 11:53:02 pm »
Most of the planeswalkers are more balanced and also have a good static ability. I had fun even using Thibalt during the pre-release. Most of the planeswalkers aren't overpowered with a few exceptions of course. The low value of them comes from some being uncommon and some of those uncommons aren't that bad at all. They are easy to obtain money wise and do interesting things. It also gives any new players a chance to own their very first planeswalker at a small price compared to say Teferi(previous set) is up in price.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Sean77

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 12:16:07 am »
I personally haven’t been overwhelmed by the new planeswalkers, but can see their uses depending on the deck.
I usually play EDH and have put an ashiok in my muldrotha deck. it has been extremely useful as I found out witk kiora from the old sets the one that -2 is mill four deep and pick a creature and/or land from within them.
When my opponents have got an ashiok it kinda ruins the game plan alittle 😂

nifty129

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 05:10:58 am »
I can see the use of the new walkers in commander for sure. Unfortunately as far as standard in concerned in Arena, it's mostly been hey look at my 8 Tefari's.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 09:56:03 am »
I personally haven’t been overwhelmed by the new planeswalkers, but can see their uses depending on the deck.
I usually play EDH and have put an ashiok in my muldrotha deck. it has been extremely useful as I found out witk kiora from the old sets the one that -2 is mill four deep and pick a creature and/or land from within them.
When my opponents have got an ashiok it kinda ruins the game plan alittle 😂

Well, if you can't recover with muldrotha after someone wiped your graveyard, something went horrible wrong.  ;)
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.