deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Ramos, Dragon Engine - Superfriends - Any Tips?  (Read 893 times)

smadam813

• Decks
I have been running the following deck now for the last month or so since I have gotten back into Magic.  I am loving it, however I am always open to new ideas!  It's been a long time since I was really into magic and I am sure I am missing some key things.  I own a lot of the Vintage cards so don't worry about rarity if that would limit suggestions.

My overall goal by the way is to have a deck that is fun to play and play against.  Not trying to make this super competitive.

Ramos, Dragon Engine - Superfriends
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:54:57 am by smadam813 »

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Either the deck has been deleted, or it has been set to private. If it is a private deck, you'll need to make it public before anyone can make suggestions.

smadam813

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Ramos, Dragon Engine - Superfriends - Any Tips?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 05:55:36 am »
Sorry about that.  I had posted the wrong deck earlier.  Should be good now  :)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 05:38:26 pm »
So your land base is solid, no need to touch on that. What you do need is more mana ramp. Simple stuff like Birds of Paradise, Fellwar Stone, Paradise Druid, and if you have the money, Bloom Tender and any card with "Mox" in its name (even Mox Amber could work in this deck).

After that, this deck looks good. You have plenty of Planeswalkers to provide card advantage. Try the deck out and tell me how it goes. Try to focus on what the deck does good, and what could use some work.

smadam813

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 07:37:00 am »
I think I will try play testing with the following changes.  Thank you for the suggestions!

Revision 5

Added/removed cards:
-1 Oath of Ajani
-1 Oath of Gideon
-1 Oath of Jace
+1 Birds of Paradise
+1 Mox Amber
+1 Mox Diamond

smadam813

• Decks

smadam813

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 08:02:42 pm »
Going to see how this does.  I have never been one to run more than 33 lands.

Revision 7

Added/removed cards:
-1 Anguished Unmaking
-1 City of Brass
-1 Djeru, With Eyes Open
-1 Mana Crypt
-1 Reflecting Pool
+1 As Foretold
+1 Oath of Ajani
+1 Oath of Gideon
+1 Steady Progress
+1 Vampiric Tutor

smadam813

• Decks

smadam813

• Decks

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 08:24:42 am »
Hey man, cool deck.

There is a fairly new card that I think could be really good here: Sisay, Weatherlight Captain.

In a singleton format, being able to tutor for your pieces can be incredibly valuable. Your Planeswalkers tend to have a decent mix of colours and are all reasonably low CMC so getting them with Sisay shouldn't prove too much of an issue.

Sisay's activated ability is incredibly strong too, allowing you to tutor and put it straight on the battlefield at instant speed, which combos amazingly with some of the new walkers from War of the Spark (Narset, The Wanderer, even Tibalt). It can really shut down opponents plans. The ability requiring WUBRG to activate is also wonderfully symmetrical with Ramos ability to create double WUBRG, so activating Ramos could mean two walkers tutored for and onto the field at instant speed.

My friend runs a Superfriends deck with Sisay at the helm and she does a lot of work.

One potential downside is that her ability wont count as casting spells, so it won't contribute towards "charging" Ramos up again, so depending on your strategies for the deck this downside might be too much, which is fair enough.

Either way though, I've seen first hand the power she can provide to a Superfriends deck so thought I'd share in case it interested you.

Whatever you decide, I hope you continue to have fun with it. Cheers.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 08:36:48 am »
The Sisay, Weatherlight Captain synergy with Ramos seems interesting, but OG Captain Sisay still seems better in most situations, especially because you can then cast the legend you grab to charge up Ramos.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 02:12:41 pm »
The Sisay, Weatherlight Captain synergy with Ramos seems interesting, but OG Captain Sisay still seems better in most situations, especially because you can then cast the legend you grab to charge up Ramos.

Captain Sisay is for sure a potentially superb inclusion too, but I think the question of which is better is a little more dependant on your play style and meta.

For example, the guy I play with who runs the Weatherlight Captain superfriends deck is known to be tricksy. Him leaving his mana open is a very common thing to do. He likes to play responsive, so when he leaves his WUBRG open, we know that there will likely be an activation of Sisay coming before his next turn, but we also no that the could have removal or counterspells or whatever handy too. As such, being able to activate at instant speed plays very well into his play style and the reputation he has within our play group. Not to mention his superfriends deck has a decent amount of the WAR walkers with the passive abilities which can be more relevant to be able to find at instant speed.

If that is the sort of game smadam813 likes to play too, then Weatherlight captain could be the better shout. The inability to charge Ramos with the activation is the only real downside in my opinion. The rest comes down to personal preference and play styles.

smadam813

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 07:32:28 am »

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 12:32:54 pm »
You might want Maelstrom Nexus since you're doing some high-CMC drops. Plays better with Ramos but I can imagine that being a powerhouse with Golos, too, because Golos casts the spells it reveals. It's not a "win more" card, more like "here's the snowball, now die".

How do you feel about Karn's Bastion?
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/