deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] EDH/Comander life gain/drain (with a small twist) ayli eternal pilgrim.  (Read 425 times)

thelegend227

• Decks
EDH/Comander life gain/drain (with a small twist) ayli eternal pilgrim.

life gain drain but with a commander that counts on high toughness or in this case walls. play super defensive while you build up for the grand finale with aetherflux reservoir or some of the other win cons tell me your thoughts/tips i am very new to EDH deck building. :-)

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
First you are on the right track, you got a commander and got something started. But you can't have Azor's Elocutors in this deck cause of the blue because you can only have black/white based apon ayli's symbols
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

thelegend227

• Decks
oh okay i didn't realize because i am used to the modern format were it doesn't matter as long as you can cast it with some sort of mana thanks for the advice

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Similarly to the Azor's Elocutors, You also cannot have Huatli, the Sun's Heart due to the green in her color identity.

31 lands is a little on the low side.  Most decks want about 34.

I also only see 4 pieces of mana ramp.  I like to aim for about 10.  For black/white, there is Fellwar Stone, Orzhov Signet, Dark Ritual, Knight of the White Orchid, Pearl Medallion, Jet Medallion, Thought Vessel ... just to name a few.

You do have a stated goal for your deck, which many new builders lack.  So Bonus Points to you for that.  You need to evaluate each card choice in your deck and ask yourself if/how each card helps attain that goal.  You have a lot of creatures.  Moreso than most EDH decks.  You have 45 (not counting the commander).  A Commander deck with 40 creatures is A LOT.  A deck with 20 creatures is on the low side.  It's a broad range.  Any number can work so long as each card has a role to play.  I would argue that many of your creatures are not contributing to your goal ... like Cemetery Gate, Wall of Faith, Wall of Light, and Wall of Putrid Flesh.

You off to a good start.

Happy Brewing!
:)
Happy Brewing!

Judaspriester

• Decks
Hmm.. first of all a word to the land base. If a land enters tapped and it hasn't a significant effect, don't use it. Orzhov Guildgate is a good example for this. You could play Tainted Field or Command Tower in stead. If you want to invest a little more money, Isolated Chapel would also be great.
Then, what about replacing Orzhov Cluestone with Orzhov Signet? Yes, the Signet is a little less flexible, but you can play it a turn earlier. Besides that, 31 lands seem a little less, unless you got a mana curve like 2.5 or lower, I recommend 34-36.

It seems for me like the deck has very less removal besides Ayli. At least at my playgroup this would be dangerous, because everyone is scared off Ayli's exile everything and tries to make sure you're never able to use her. Disenchant, Tragic Slip, Curtains' Call and Swords to Plowshares would be a good start.

Robort already mentioned Azor's, but there is another card you can't play: Huatli, the Sun's Heart. To explain this: In Commander you are only allowed to play cards with the commanders color identity. For the color identity, all mana symbols on the card counts (the only exception I know is cards with extort, since the color symbol is in the reminder text). Huatli would be WG.

If you have trouble with your opponents commanders, Darksteel Mutation has proven (at least to me) to be very effective. If played on a opponents commander, its useless until they get a enchantment removal or a option for sacrifice. For some decks this hurts way more than just removing the commander.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
oh okay i didn't realize because i am used to the modern format were it doesn't matter as long as you can cast it with some sort of mana thanks for the advice

Commander utilizes the concept of color identity.  The color identity of any card is all of the colored mana symbols printed anywhere on the card (except for reminder text - like that of extort).  The Commander you choose sets the color identity for your entire deck.  A deck can have no cards that have color identity that is not shared with the Commander's.  So a deck with a Commander that has only black and white mana symbols on it cannot have any cards that have blue, green, or red mana symbols on them.

Happy Brewing!
Happy Brewing!

thelegend227

• Decks
Thanks a lot you all i truly apreciate it as i mentioned in my deck description i am a completely new deckbuilder in the commander genre and so it helps out a lot to see all these comments with advice for the next build as well as what i already do right thts why i love this forum thanks a lot again all of you i might make an updated version or a completely new deck with your advice to prove that i am listening
i want all of you to have a nice day :-)

Judaspriester

• Decks
Thanks a lot you all i truly apreciate it as i mentioned in my deck description i am a completely new deckbuilder in the commander genre and so it helps out a lot to see all these comments with advice for the next build as well as what i already do right thts why i love this forum thanks a lot again all of you i might make an updated version or a completely new deck with your advice to prove that i am listening
i want all of you to have a nice day :-)

I'm always glad to help. ;)

If you want to learn a little more, this thread could be interesting for you:
https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,42562.html
The first intention for it was to help people trimming down their commander decks, but there are alot of general tips how to build a good commander deck.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Narvi

• Decks
Hi,

If you're new at this, just like me, check this out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK8u53V0qQw&t=1117s
Don't pay too much attention to their suggestions about walls though, since it's the strategy you chose to go for.

I'm working on Ayli as well, here are all the cards I found that could be of use, maybe it will give you some ideas : https://deckstats.net/decks/113415/1235464-ayli-edh-all-cards-worth-consi/en

And the current status of my deck : https://deckstats.net/decks/113415/1242118-ayli-eternal-pilgrim-weaponizi/en

Vizkopa Guildmage and Wurmcoil Engine are a must have with Ayli imo

thelegend227

• Decks
hi narvi thanks for the advice i WILL cooporate your requests in the next deck or in the updated version of this deck :-)