English-language Forums > Commander Discussion

What's your "Pet Deck" in EDH?

<< < (3/17) > >>

Aetherium Slinky:
I know it's not an EDH deck but Animar. It's a deck that has gone through many phases during its lifetime. My first proper EDH was starring Rosheen Meanderer as it's commander back when Shadowmoor came out. Fast forward a couple of years and Animar came out. I saw it played but people hadn't quite figured out how it works so I didn't get to see the big plays with it but I did take a mental note of it.

Then I took a pause from playing for quite a few years and when I got back into playing I swapped the commander first to Selvala and a moment after that to Animar (because I wanted to keep Apocalypse Hydra and Savageborn Hydra) and fairly quickly reduced the deck into a Tiny Leaders deck. It's one of my go-to decks because I like swinging with big fatties. Sure they get removed a lot and someone usually brings deathtouch to the table but I get satisfaction from double digit P/T.

I've also gone through other deck ideas with Animar: a janky ping version with tons of draw to pump out massive amounts of stuff that taps for damage, a cheerios colourless artifact creature deck and whatnot. I still like the Hydra one the most.

I also recently renewed my Rosheen deck although I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/878383-animar-soul-of-hydras/en
https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/811329-rosheen-meanderer-revised-edit/en

Marshstepper78:
My pet deck was Nekusar the Mindrazer, but every game soon turned into Archenemy because it was pretty savage so it was no longer fun to play because I was always taken out first, regardless of my board state. I had nights where I slaughtered everyone with Nekusar, then switched decks and was still taken out first out of saltiness. I ended up dismantling Nekusar, despite him being one of my favourite commanders of all time.

Now it's Feldon of the Third Path.

Morganator 2.0:
Is a pet deck just your favorite deck?

superduperbeans:
It could be. It could also be the one you prune and tune the most, the one you've blinged out with foils. The one you always pack up when you go to an LGS to play. Some people have a hard time with picking a "favorite" but, in essence, yes it would be your favorite

Sheogoroth:
Was Grand Arbiter. Back when I was so innocent and didn't understand how much people hated taxes and how awful Azorius is at finding Win-Cons.
The whole deck was based around building a disgustingly fortified board state to tax 7 mana and 2 life per attacking creature, finding Clone Legion or something, and hopefully ending the game before I milled myself out.
Now I know that sounds like the most toxic thing ever, and I was absolutely targeted into the ground every game with good reason, but in my defense my first commander game I had brought a budget Merfolk Tribal deck to a six player EDH game where people were running- Elesh Norn, Infinite Elves Rhys, Omnath Locus of Mana, Shirei Shizo's Caretaker, and the last was like Kiki-Jiki or something.
In essence, I took a water gun to a flamethrower fight, "I play a merfolk and pass" 30 minutes later "I play a merfolk and pass". So I assumed that's just how commander was, and I spent months crafting a sinister deck that would DEFINITELY let me play magic. It just didn't let anyone else play, so it has been heavily redesigned with Daxos of Meletis, but alas it is boring.

Right now my pet deck is Melek, Izzet Paragon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version