deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What's your "Pet Deck" in EDH?  (Read 5966 times)

superduperbeans

• Decks
What's your "Pet Deck" in EDH?
« on: May 20, 2019, 09:28:02 pm »
Exactly what the title says. I'm curious to see what everyone's favorite commander deck is. It doesn't have to be the winning-est deck, the most expensive, anything like that. Just the deck that you always enjoy pulling out and playing. Maybe some jank combo? Getting to throw down big fatties? Whatever it is, so long as you have a blast, I wanna hear about it! Bonus points if you throw in a decklist, so let's see those brews!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: What's your "Pet Deck" in EDH?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 09:45:13 pm »
It all depends. I tend to go through phases. The one I end up playing the most is my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck but lately I've been playing my Grand Arbiter Augustin IV deck more (I had retired it but rebuilt it recently just to have something different).
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 09:57:52 pm »
I'm not quite sure what a pet deck is. I enjoy playing all of my decks.

superduperbeans

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 10:38:33 pm »
A pet deck being the one you choose when you just want to have fun. It could be the one you've spent the most time putting together and tuning, it could be some goofy monstrosity that should't work, does't matter. Just the "if I could only play with one deck" top choice

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 12:32:25 am »
I do like to play all of my commander decks equally, but my pet deck would have to be my Mizzix of the Izmagnus spellslinger deck. It was one of my earliest commander decks and it has slowly gotten stronger throughout the years, but it is always a ton of fun.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 01:43:26 am »
Lately it's been my Thantis, the warweaver deck. I like the unpredictably with it and usually at one point in the match someone asks how much life you got and I say a lot which is usually in the mid 30's while everyone else is in the teens.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Leonixious

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 04:03:25 am »
It honestly would be a toss up between my Life is worth Living deck...
https://deckstats.net/decks/121107/1177254-life-is-worth-living/en
Or my Muldrotha Toolbox deck...
https://deckstats.net/decks/121107/1162616-muldrotha-toolbox/en

The first deck is one I've been playing since EDH was still a forum idea and utilizes abilities I don't see in MTG anymore, especially in my area. It is defiantly my most casual deck.

The second deck is one I've been improving on and uses one of my all time favorite Commanders. The deck has a few janky combos and has an average 80% Win Rate.
Unpopular opinion: Mono-White is NOT the weakest color.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 04:22:50 am »
Most fun to play?  Nekusar.  Most consistent wins?  Anafenza the Foremost.  Most time spent developing and trying to get to work?  Thraximundar.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 04:41:44 am »
When all is said and done, I have to say my Grimgrin, Corpse-Born Mill deck is the one I probably enjoy playing the most.  I've kept it the longest, put the most effort into getting foils for it and when I pick which decks I'm bringing on a given night its the only one that always makes the cut.   I tend to gravitate towards graveyard strategies anyway, but Grim remains my favorite.  I'd link the list but not sure how to do so on this site.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 04:54:26 am »
Just copy and paste the URL from the deckstats deck link.  It will automatically populate.  Out of curiousity, why GrimGrin as the Commander and not Phenax, God of Deception with GrimGrin as one of the 99?

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 09:42:52 am »
I know it's not an EDH deck but Animar. It's a deck that has gone through many phases during its lifetime. My first proper EDH was starring Rosheen Meanderer as it's commander back when Shadowmoor came out. Fast forward a couple of years and Animar came out. I saw it played but people hadn't quite figured out how it works so I didn't get to see the big plays with it but I did take a mental note of it.

Then I took a pause from playing for quite a few years and when I got back into playing I swapped the commander first to Selvala and a moment after that to Animar (because I wanted to keep Apocalypse Hydra and Savageborn Hydra) and fairly quickly reduced the deck into a Tiny Leaders deck. It's one of my go-to decks because I like swinging with big fatties. Sure they get removed a lot and someone usually brings deathtouch to the table but I get satisfaction from double digit P/T.

I've also gone through other deck ideas with Animar: a janky ping version with tons of draw to pump out massive amounts of stuff that taps for damage, a cheerios colourless artifact creature deck and whatnot. I still like the Hydra one the most.

I also recently renewed my Rosheen deck although I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/878383-animar-soul-of-hydras/en
https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/811329-rosheen-meanderer-revised-edit/en
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 01:05:03 pm »
My pet deck was Nekusar the Mindrazer, but every game soon turned into Archenemy because it was pretty savage so it was no longer fun to play because I was always taken out first, regardless of my board state. I had nights where I slaughtered everyone with Nekusar, then switched decks and was still taken out first out of saltiness. I ended up dismantling Nekusar, despite him being one of my favourite commanders of all time.

Now it's Feldon of the Third Path.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 05:41:58 pm »
Is a pet deck just your favorite deck?

superduperbeans

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 05:47:20 pm »
It could be. It could also be the one you prune and tune the most, the one you've blinged out with foils. The one you always pack up when you go to an LGS to play. Some people have a hard time with picking a "favorite" but, in essence, yes it would be your favorite

Sheogoroth

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 06:49:58 pm »
Was Grand Arbiter. Back when I was so innocent and didn't understand how much people hated taxes and how awful Azorius is at finding Win-Cons.
The whole deck was based around building a disgustingly fortified board state to tax 7 mana and 2 life per attacking creature, finding Clone Legion or something, and hopefully ending the game before I milled myself out.
Now I know that sounds like the most toxic thing ever, and I was absolutely targeted into the ground every game with good reason, but in my defense my first commander game I had brought a budget Merfolk Tribal deck to a six player EDH game where people were running- Elesh Norn, Infinite Elves Rhys, Omnath Locus of Mana, Shirei Shizo's Caretaker, and the last was like Kiki-Jiki or something.
In essence, I took a water gun to a flamethrower fight, "I play a merfolk and pass" 30 minutes later "I play a merfolk and pass". So I assumed that's just how commander was, and I spent months crafting a sinister deck that would DEFINITELY let me play magic. It just didn't let anyone else play, so it has been heavily redesigned with Daxos of Meletis, but alas it is boring.

Right now my pet deck is Melek, Izzet Paragon.