deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What's your "Pet Deck" in EDH?  (Read 6007 times)

UgandanShuckle

• Decks
Re: What's your "Pet Deck" in EDH?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 08:44:54 pm »
My pet deck is a janky bird deck that just kills through air damage. Not very competitive. but really fun none the less. Using the various synergy with flying make it easy to pilot, so I use it as a guide deck when introducing other player to EDH. My main deck is a gyrus deck.
Lost the list to the bird one, have the gyrus one though.
https://deckstats.net/decks/123037/1240162-gyrus-edh/en
It is sorted by reanimation targets and those you should play.

Izzet808

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 09:03:04 pm »
My Inalla, Archmage Ritualist deck. I've been collecting a lot to make it pretty competitive and thus far, it has my collection of dual lands. I just love how far it has come :') and I like Wizard tribal. I can actually play it over and over again because the ETBs of each Wizard is different enough that it plays differently a lot of the time.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 05:36:17 pm »
Mine would either be the locust God or my Thraximundar (Nicol Bolas Tribal in disguise) deck. I like the locst God because unless people are playing draw hate cards then I can pretty much do my own thing. I dont mess with other people's stuff, they will leave me alone. Apparently I'm not threatening, despite being my most winning deck.

My thraximundar deck is more fun usually because that's why I built it. I wanted to role play nicol bolas (through the cards, not by dressing up or anything weird like that) and I think I did a good job. And then it is strong enough to be competitive as well. Sadly since its heavily control, I'm not allowed to play it if there is another control deck at the table.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 06:28:09 pm »
Sadly since its heavily control, I'm not allowed to play it if there is another control deck at the table.

By your own volition or because the group says so? I'd love for someone to tell me I wasn't allowed to play a specific deck...
This space for rent.

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 07:56:08 pm »
Sadly since its heavily control, I'm not allowed to play it if there is another control deck at the table.

By your own volition or because the group says so? I'd love for someone to tell me I wasn't allowed to play a specific deck...

The group. No more than 1 control deck allowed at the table. And they consider my zedruu control. Apparently every damn deck I have is control. Explain to me how my maelstrom wanderer list is control. It has a few answers, but all decks should.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 08:08:37 pm »

The group. No more than 1 control deck allowed at the table. And they consider my zedruu control. Apparently every damn deck I have is control. Explain to me how my maelstrom wanderer list is control. It has a few answers, but all decks should.

Cringe is real. What kind of people do you hang out with if they're setting such limitations on your fun?

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 08:15:18 pm »

Cringe is real. What kind of people do you hang out with if they're setting such limitations on your fun?

Old people that think land destruction isnt a valid point of the game. I understand it isnt fun, but I run deathcloud in my windgrace deck and it's a win con because I can recover from the land loss more than anyone else, and I designed it to be able to pull crap out of the graveyard no problem so the discard and sac arent a big deal.

I wanna make my sen triplets deck into a stax deck, but then I'll never be aloud to play it. Ever.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 08:24:30 pm »

I kinda get that. It makes for some really interesting games...but they're long. Game duration if nobody is playing control (as their main strategy, that is): one hour. If one player plays control: one and a half hours. If two or more play control: three hours or longer. Say P3 plays a big threat, it gets removed but it's not completely exiled for good (i.e. it's a race against drawing a reanimator card or a tutor to get it) so the rest of the table just puts the player out of their misery while they're still weak. Then basically the two control players play alone for another two hours. Not terribly interesting for the rest of the table.

People tend to like really fast paced games. It feels like a lot is happening, they're doing a lot of things. If a couple of players suddenly start dragging the game out the others might feel like they're not dead yet but they're kind of out of steam and can't win unless one control player is gone. Then it becomes an arms race to sideboard the deck with anti-control cards and suddenly their tempo suffers and the games drag out even longer.

It's also completely possible that the control decks in my play group profoundly lack good win conditions and someone mirroring their strategy makes the few win conditions even less likely to succeed.

Actually reminds me of a weird game I played: I had a janky Naya life gain deck with stuff like Ajani Pridemate, Ageless Entity etc as it's main win conditions. My friend had a Platinum something out so I couldn't win, didn't have ways to remove it (or I did, but they all got countered). He couldn't touch my Sunbonded lifelinker for a few turns so I got free attacks on him. Result: I gained a lot of life, like 6k or so. He got a Darksteel Colossus, Kozilek and Rite of Replication with kicker targeting the Colossus. I'm sure there was a way for him to renew his library but we kinda called it a draw because I had so much life that he couldn't win by damage alone before his library was out. Needless to say I didn't have any permanents for the last ~50 turns that we shortcutted. Ok there were a lot of things deck building-wise that we could have done to improve the situation But it's just one of those "the control player can't win despite controlling the entire board" moments.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 09:38:44 pm »

I kinda get that. It makes for some really interesting games...but they're long. Game duration if nobody is playing control (as their main strategy, that is): one hour. If one player plays control: one and a half hours. If two or more play control: three hours or longer. Say P3 plays a big threat, it gets removed but it's not completely exiled for good (i.e. it's a race against drawing a reanimator card or a tutor to get it) so the rest of the table just puts the player out of their misery while they're still weak. Then basically the two control players play alone for another two hours. Not terribly interesting for the rest of the table.

People tend to like really fast paced games. It feels like a lot is happening, they're doing a lot of things. If a couple of players suddenly start dragging the game out the others might feel like they're not dead yet but they're kind of out of steam and can't win unless one control player is gone. Then it becomes an arms race to sideboard the deck with anti-control cards and suddenly their tempo suffers and the games drag out even longer.

It's also completely possible that the control decks in my play group profoundly lack good win conditions and someone mirroring their strategy makes the few win conditions even less likely to succeed.

Actually reminds me of a weird game I played: I had a janky Naya life gain deck with stuff like Ajani Pridemate, Ageless Entity etc as it's main win conditions. My friend had a Platinum something out so I couldn't win, didn't have ways to remove it (or I did, but they all got countered). He couldn't touch my Sunbonded lifelinker for a few turns so I got free attacks on him. Result: I gained a lot of life, like 6k or so. He got a Darksteel Colossus, Kozilek and Rite of Replication with kicker targeting the Colossus. I'm sure there was a way for him to renew his library but we kinda called it a draw because I had so much life that he couldn't win by damage alone before his library was out. Needless to say I didn't have any permanents for the last ~50 turns that we shortcutted. Ok there were a lot of things deck building-wise that we could have done to improve the situation But it's just one of those "the control player can't win despite controlling the entire board" moments.

He didnt have a way to kill his own kozilek?
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 01:20:39 am »
I don't have a pet deck cause i'm not playing magic the gathering, i am only doing deck on deckstats and sincerely i've never played commander or oathbreker...i'm using my experience in legacy and modern to do the cedh descks!!!!

FinalBosco

• Commander/Brawl/Oathbreaker
  • Decks
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2019, 01:44:57 am »
I just started playing EDH about a year ago and I don't think I can go back to any other constructed format! I'm all about EDH, Brawl, and now Oathbreaker these days. The Highlander formats are probably the most fun I've have playing Magic.

I have 3 complete EDH decks that I use: Mardu vampire tribal, Selesnya token flood, and my favorite, my Bant counters deck. I love to build stuff around mechanics and see how I can abuse the absolute crap out of it. My Bant deck is full of cards that place, interact with, or check +1/+1 counters, for a board full of constantly-growing dudes with all kinds of tricks up their sleeves.

I can't even begin to describe how happy I was when I saw that WoTC brought the Proliferate mechanic back in War of the Spark. For this deck, it was one of the best synergies that I found, and though I haven't retooled this deck with any of the new cards, it still works great on its own.

https://deckstats.net/decks/113619/1162783-bant-edh-1-1-counter-fun

Tracking this thread to see others' EDH decks so please share!
A spaceman... that's what they say I am.

Garionwells

• Decks
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2019, 03:11:24 am »
https://deckstats.net/decks/120844/1152765-in-death-we-serve/en

This deck is so sick! It's resilient, aggressive with the tutors, and just super fun to play!

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2019, 04:01:25 pm »
He didnt have a way to kill his own kozilek?
Can't remember but probably not. Since then we've started to side stuff like Elixir of Immortality.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2019, 05:16:53 pm »
look out, i'm almost a full member

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2019, 07:06:13 pm »
oh no...the first downvote, it's Tom Cruise so wrong???