deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: EDH Deck building 101 Question.  (Read 4885 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: EDH Deck building 101 Question.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 05:04:20 pm »
Worldfire is the only board wipe

Probably why it's banned.  ;D
This space for rent.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 03:28:51 am »
After watching several U Tube video's on building an EDH commander deck . 

Lands             32-35
Mana Ramp    10
Board Wipes    5
Card Draw      10
Single card removal  5
Stand alone cards 20
Enhancers     10
Enablers         5

Question is ?  I'm running blue and red with fist fill of counter spells  (10)  Would they count for single card removal or enablers.

While this is a decent starting template, your commander can warp these numbers quite a bit.  A commander such as Nekusar, the Mindrazer will probably be skimping on both categories of removal and traditional card draw spells while loading up with Enhancers and Enablers [wheel effects and things that cause damage for opponents discarding] so the %'s aren't set in stone by any means.  My Zurgo Helmsmasher deck has 8-11 boardwipes [he's indestructible after all,... well, part of the time anyway] and a similar count of targeted removal [since Sunforger can fetch all of them at need] and I probably have only 5 spells for card draw since he plans on winning quickly. 

I have no idea how some players get away with a 32-35 land count.   36 is a minimum for me and 37-38 is typical [depending on average CMC of spells]. 

I consider counterspells as 'stand alone' cards personally and tend to include only 3-5 counters to stop 'I lose' spells my opponents try to cast [I think my heaviest control deck may have 7].  Some groups get twitchy if you have too many counters in your deck so I err on keeping their presence light.

I think a better use for that list is just to remember to consider each category of card and decide how it applies towards the commander you're trying to build/tune for and adjust as needed.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 04:51:37 am »
Worldfire is the only board wipe

Bearer of the Heavens and Worldslayer are comparable. they do wipe the board. They don't get rid of hands and graveyard, but those things aren't on the board.

Yes I know worldslayer stays on the board.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 07:30:03 am »
I consider counterspells as 'stand alone' cards personally and tend to include only 3-5 counters to stop 'I lose' spells my opponents try to cast [I think my heaviest control deck may have 7].  Some groups get twitchy if you have too many counters in your deck so I err on keeping their presence light.

Very true. I had one playgroup that considered every deck I ran to be a control deck because they all had 2-3 counters in them. I packed 2-3 in order to protect my win-cons or stop yours. Each groups perception on things is different.
This space for rent.

Leonixious

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 04:55:35 am »
After watching several U Tube video's on building an EDH commander deck . 

Lands             32-35
Mana Ramp    10
Board Wipes    5
Card Draw      10
Single card removal  5
Stand alone cards 20
Enhancers     10
Enablers         5

Question is ?  I'm running blue and red with fist fill of counter spells  (10)  Would they count for single card removal or enablers.

So this is a baseline template, it is a good start to any Commander deck. However, as it was mentioned before, these numbers will change depending on several factors...
Your Commander is probably the biggest factor as its not only going to base what the deck does, but what colors. Some colors have an abundance of a type of category, while lacking in others (for example, Green doesn't not have many Board Wipes or burn, but has a lot of Ramp and Enhancers). Then there is the theme of the deck, is it a Control deck, a Token Deck, Lands Matter, Tribal, etc? What you want to do with the deck is going to change those numbers. For example, a Token deck will usually not have many Board Wipes, if at all. The Land and Mana Ramp categories will change depending on if you run a lot of High CMC cards, or if your running a lot of Low CMC cards but want more Mana Ramp, you will probably want more Card Draw. The numbers also change depending on if you want to play Casually or Competitively.

On top of that, there are cards that could be considered for multiple categories. Like Mirari's Wake could be considered as an Enhancer and Mana Ramp, Cryptic Command has 3 separate abilities that could be considered as multiple categories, even a card like Mirage Mirror could be considered for ALL categories depending on how the deck is built and who your playing against.

Commander deck building is fun but can be complicated. My best advice is to stick with what you want the deck to do and try not to deviate from that too much. I mean, I built a Krenko, Mob Boss goblin tribal deck based around Tokens, but I threw in a Altar of Dementia because I thought it would be funny to play it and see my opponent's reaction as I Mill them with a Red Deck. (It was also the only card that Milled in the deck.)
Unpopular opinion: Mono-White is NOT the weakest color.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2019, 04:58:05 pm »
I mean, I built a Krenko, Mob Boss goblin tribal deck based around Tokens, but I threw in a Altar of Dementia because I thought it would be funny to play it and see my opponent's reaction as I Mill them with a Red Deck. (It was also the only card that Milled in the deck.)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This is awesome!
This space for rent.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2019, 08:19:07 pm »
I mean, I built a Krenko, Mob Boss goblin tribal deck based around Tokens, but I threw in a Altar of Dementia because I thought it would be funny to play it and see my opponent's reaction as I Mill them with a Red Deck. (It was also the only card that Milled in the deck.)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This is awesome!

Sacrificing a goblin is the MTG equivalent of duct tape, there are just so many uses for them.

Caveman Clay

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2019, 05:20:40 pm »
Thanks for the info, sorry about not replying sooner,  had surgery then field days for the fire deportment, Life is busy.    I guess  the same  would apply to tutor  and card draw.  So I'm taking a step backwards.  working on work condition and adjusting card draw, protecting, around my win conditions. 

Found a article on the web called  mizzix_storm_primer.  and it outlined a few ways to win with storm and Mizzix,  It included key cards to add.
Aetherflux Reservoir, Dramatic Reversal, Enter the Infinite, Isochron Scepter, Mizzix's Mastery, Paradox Engine, Past in Flames

So I've ordered these new cards and will update my list and adjust everything else around my win conditions.

Any other ideas  would be helpful  and thanks again for the help .

P.s. First deck was Krenko and I just added Altar of Dementia  , thanks again

I have a collecting  of 350+ Goblin cards now.

Est. MTG player 2018.
Goblins collecting 505

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 07:54:32 pm »
I like considering cards that can do 2 or more things as utility because you can run them to fit into 2 or more of the card slots allowing for more cards to make the rest of the deck stronger for example I don't consider cryptic command as  a specific type of card it utility in a pinch it can be draw or removal or a counter leaving more space for what my deck wants to do on average I'll run 5-7 strict card draw because I have 3-5 other cards that can draw cards in my utility lists

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2019, 07:04:00 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This is awesome!

Sacrificing a goblin is the MTG equivalent of duct tape, there are just so many uses for them.

And it fixes everything. If it's not working, use more duct tape, or in our case SACRIFICE MORE GOBLINS!!!!!
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2019, 10:28:20 pm »
Who doesn't love sacrificing a goblin?
This space for rent.

Caveman Clay

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 07:21:43 pm »
Update,   And Yes to everyone!  EDH format is best when tailored to your colors and win condition. . I first set up my deck based on the formula below and found myself stalling out mid and late game, or worst yet noway to win. after everyone's help I went back and looked at and added some win conditions 4-5 2 without my commander and a few with my commander.  Then I went back to my deck and adjusted everything. I changed 21 cards.  Still learning the deck have a few more cards to change, but seems run better and last Sunday I win a game. (we help for the group)  I'll share the new build of the deck below and thanks to everyone for their help.

Lands             32-35
Mana Ramp    10
Board Wipes    5
Card Draw      10
Single card removal  5
Stand alone cards 20
Enhancers     10
Enablers         5

https://deckstats.net/decks/107838/1260176-mizzix
Est. MTG player 2018.
Goblins collecting 505

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 04:14:12 am »

Someone who has been brainwashed by slivers and believes sacrificing creatures is bad.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 05:45:08 am »

Someone who has been brainwashed by slivers and believes sacrificing creatures is bad.

Don't let those slivers do that to you!
This space for rent.

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 10:36:15 am »

Don't let those slivers do that to you!

😑😑😑        😑😑😑

😑😑😑😑😑😑

I'm only going to explain this because I think I did a bad job. The arrangement of my emojis are supposed to be in the shape of that emoji. So you have the two eyes (😑😑😑 for each eye) and the longer string of them for the mouth.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red