deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What do you love more? Building decks or playing?  (Read 1339 times)

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
Re: What do you love more? Building decks or playing?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 10:13:21 pm »
I was planning on building Urza, Lord High Artificer, but stopped halfway, for the dumbest reason.

It would absolutely destroy my playgroup. I don't think there are enough people with strong enough decks for it to ever be a challenge for me. I know they wouldn't enjoy it, and I wouldn't enjoy it, so what's the point?

can you at least finish the list for deckstats so I can cheat off you? Although I wanna use his third ability, and not so much the stax route.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 11:46:41 pm »
When I stopped, I was still trying to figure out a good combo with the third ability. It could just be an infinite mana sink, but I wanted something different. But Urza's strength comes from the stax part. I'll try to finish it up, just for you.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 11:48:18 pm »
It's probably obvious but I prefer deckbuilding
Nils is the God I worship

Leonixious

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 03:30:28 am »
When I stopped, I was still trying to figure out a good combo with the third ability. It could just be an infinite mana sink, but I wanted something different. But Urza's strength comes from the stax part. I'll try to finish it up, just for you.

If I may, Training Grounds + Pili-Pala goes Infinite Mana through Urza, Lord High Artificer second ability. And though its a slower play, Conjurer's Closet will provide a steady stream of ever growing Constructs that could be used for Mana.   
Unpopular opinion: Mono-White is NOT the weakest color.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 04:25:19 am »
Neither one is good enough. Pili-Pala needs to ditch the summoning sickness to untap, so I either need a haste enabler, or for Pili-Pala to survive a full turn cycle (which will not happen). I don't need Conjurer's Closet because I have enough mana as is.

When I stopped building, I was trying to figure something out with Paradox Engine. I figured that with 4 other artifacts (easy) and casting Mana Severance (harder) I'd be able to cast all spells in my deck. After that, I guess it's Laboratory Maniac + a draw spell, Nexus of Fate, or Aetherflux Reservoir.

I'm sure if I gave this more thought I could figure something out. I guess in this case deck building is more fun than playing.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 07:04:41 am »

Thanks, pal! I kind of wanted value from his ETB effect and then the ability to ramp into getting 2 or 3 or 4 activations from his third ability in a single turn. I don't want an infinite combo because then the deck becomes dull and repetitive. Trying to play the same cards every game to win. Doing the same thing. Which some people like, but I am not a fan of. I would rather smash face with 5 10/10 constructs and activate his last ability hitting that epic Emrakul, The Promised End or Ulamog, The Ceaseless Hunger. In fact I need to update my deck list to include the Eldrazi Titans, but only the new ones. I opened Ulamog and Kozilek, and bought new emrakul.

Oh kewl story actually. So I was 15 and stupid cut me a break. I was in PA visiting family for Thanksgiving and my grandmother gave me $20 for being a "good boy." I spent it on 5 booster packs for BFZ (She was disappointed I "wasted" it.) I got an expedition wooded foothills if I remember correctly. I never understood the point of fetchlands. Pay life for a land? Why not just play a mountain or a forest instead? Like I said, I was stupid. Still am, but less so. So I traded it in for another 15 or so packs. The guy said since I got one awesome card from that box, he'd open another one for me so I could hopefully get a good card out of that box, which I did. I got an  expedition steamvents. Traded it in for another clump of booster packs. Opened them all and got crap. Got dragonmaster outcast, which I thought was an amazing card at the time. Then the VERY last pack I opened of that last clump, I got new ulamog. Then I splurged and bought an Eldrazi deck.

Then Oath of the Gatewatch came out and my dad drove me to get a fat pack, and the price of gas was 1 pack, so I gave it to him. And the little terd opened up kozilek, but traded it to me for another pack, which didn't have anything special.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Federico Rosano

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 02:56:28 pm »
I like playing decks more. I've gotten pretty good at deck building that most of it is just routine stuff. I also haven't built a new deck in about 6 months, because nothing has peaked my interest enough.
I usually love building new decks every time, even if I stick to Modern format. I like to have unique decks, with unique strategies and cards in it.
New ideas come from cards I discover time to time, but only few of them become actual decks.
My latest challenge is around the Ebony Own Netsuke, coupled with Howline Mine and the Runeflare Trap: is going to be explosive.