deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Poll

What is your level of education?

High school drop out
GED/High School Diploma
Some College
Associates Degree
Trade School
4 Year Degree
Master's Degree
PhD

Author Topic: How Smart Are We?  (Read 18715 times)

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
How Smart Are We?
« on: June 18, 2019, 02:36:23 pm »
Hello Everyone!

Okay so I am curious as to how smart we as a community are. You have to be at least somewhat intelligent to play Magic: The Gathering, well that is what I thought before I met some people who play this game.

For those that have a degree, which I assume is most, but maybe I am wrong, we'll find out, I am curious to know what it is in. I would like to know if people are more on the sciency side of things or if we have gender studies people in here. If you wanna share, lemme know your degree below. If you don't wanna tell some random dude over the internet, you've hurt my feelings. :( But I understand. I'll get over it. If you are the sharing type, can I also get your full name, date of birth and social security number?

I'm kidding. Unless you wanna tell me. PM me. :)

Some people wanna keep things private, so please vote and go away, but if you are comfortable, more information would be good because the poll only tells so much.

Thank you guys! Don't forget. I need that social security number.

I am still in college. Convincing myself every day all this torture is worth the degree. Double Major in Applied Mathematics and Physics. Hopefully eventually I'll be able to check the PhD box when I am at Stanford doing research in quantum computing. That is the goal.

But only some college for now.

Edit: I've been told to specify this is completely voluntary. And FREE "fake internet points" for anyone that posts on the topic (and contributes to the thread).

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 03:33:05 pm by Red_Wyrm »
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Reyane

• I like weird decks.
  • Decks
Re: How Smart Are We?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 02:49:05 pm »
I think you needed to be decently intelligent to play Magic: The Gathering. There is a lot of bluffing, counterplay, planning ahead, and quick decision making involved. Of course, you can also just run the entire game off luck since, to an extent, rng will always be part of the game. Among my playgroup, I have seen very intelligent people and some not so keen or smart individuals.

I like to consider myself intelligent. I have a B.S in Economic Crime Investigations with two minors. One in Forensic Accounting, the other is in Digital Forensics.

My Social Security Number is 555-55-5555. :P
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:51:45 pm by Reyane »

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 03:11:44 pm »
May be shocking to some ...

redundant to others ...

I am an actual Apothecary.  But not an actual Geist.  With a degree in pharmacy.  I specialize in hospital practice.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 05:08:29 pm »
Although this is probably obvious, it bears mentioning that you should never reveal personal information on the internet that you're not comfortable sharing. I'm weirdly cautious about some things (like my location) and disregard other aspects.

But I have no problem sharing my education level.

The full title of my university degree is "Honors Biology; Concentration of Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior". It was actually a 5-year program because my Honor's Thesis took quite some time (that's something I won't share though). I probably could have taken a minor in geography, physics, or statistics if I tried a little harder.

This is also why I'm good with stats. It's a very important aspect of ecology, because you need to be able to be confident in your findings. The stats about MTG that I post here is only a fraction of what I actually do on my spare time.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 05:50:47 pm »
I have an Associates in Business Administration and am only 6 credit hours short of my Bachelor's. However my now ex-wife and I had an unexpected child and since I found a job making good money I decided to forego the final credits. I will at some point go back and finish if for no other reason than to say I did it. 
This space for rent.

GamerAwsome101

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 09:29:48 pm »
i am still in middle school
i like platypuses

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 12:49:13 pm »
Honors Biology; Concentration of Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior

What in the world is that? Based on the title it sounds like environmental science, but more so on the side of nature and not so much about how man is destroying earth.

In your guys' careers, do you use your degree and do you use it on a regular basis? I have a few people majoring in physics with me (so we all take a lot of classes together repeatedly) and they just want the B.S.E. and I have no clue what you would do with just a bachelors in physics? It is like a bachelors in math? Why do it if you aren't going to go all the way? I would think engineering is more practical.

On that note, I am surprised we don't have any engineers.

I'm good with stats.

I'm taking stats in the fall  :-\

Good to know you'll be here to help :)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:54:52 pm by Red_Wyrm »
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 01:50:04 pm »
What in the world is that? Based on the title it sounds like environmental science, but more so on the side of nature and not so much about how man is destroying earth.

Not quite. My program has three different concentrations. Evolution looks at the genetics of living things, how species evolve over time, and the adaptations of living things. Behavior is how living things (most often animals) react to certain situations, their life history patterns, and their methods of survival. Ecology (the part that I will explore in the future) looks at how living things interact with their environment, and how the environment interacts with them. Damn near all ecosystems have been affected by humans (for better or worse) so ecology also includes humans as part of the system, instead of a foreign invader.

I'm specifically going into rescue ecology. This is where an organization, be it a small group of people or a whole country, ask for your help in restoring a damaged ecosystem. I want to specialize in active restoration, where humans actively take part in restoring the system, as opposed to passive restoration, where you mostly leave it alone. So... I guess I am a green mage.

A huge part of ecology (an annoying part too) is disentangling all the misconceptions about climate change and human activities. Every summer now there is at least one massive forest fire somewhere in North America. Forest fires are becoming more frequent and more destructive, and I always see posts on Facebook saying "How can you deny global warming now?"

...except that the increase in forest fires is not because of climate change. It's misconceptions like these that cause more harm than good, because you're ignoring the actual cause of the fires. If you want to know more, just ask, and I'll make a post in Off-Topic.

Good to know you'll be here to help :)

Was I just voluntold to do something? Again?

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 02:20:32 pm »

A huge part of ecology (an annoying part too) is disentangling all the misconceptions about climate change and human activities.

So regardless if the forest fire is caused by the ignorance of humans or from a natural lightning strike, you want to help make it how it was?

Isn't this similar to what another group of old people are doing? Somewhere, I forget where, I don't think it is Chernobyl, the elderly are volunteering to help clean the area, since they'll die of old age before radiation. So like that?

You sound like an environmentalists, which I am not trying to use derogatorily.

That is definitely not my cup of tea, but hey, more power to you, sir/ ma'am.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:59:13 pm by Red_Wyrm »
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 02:27:45 pm »
I have an Associates in Business Administration and am only 6 credit hours short of my Bachelor's. However my now ex-wife and I had an unexpected child and since I found a job making good money I decided to forego the final credits. I will at some point go back and finish if for no other reason than to say I did it.

Oh I completely missed this. Sorry.

I don't see why you'd go back. I mean, sure you can say you did, but it doesn't add anything to your resume that you don't already have. I've learned, and I am sure you guys already know, a degree doesn't mean sh!t most of the time. Personally I hate school. Not learning, but school. I do not like the way it fundamentally works. If you want to own an autobody shop, why do you need to take Calculus? Maybe an economics course or business management, but you don't need to know animal cells don't have a cell wall and ionic compounds are between a metal and nonmental. Let me stop there.

I can see you going back to school and getting into an argument with a professor because on the job, and for the past x years you've done something one way, but for an assignment, they want you to do it a different and less efficient or effective way.

But hey since you're currently out of work, you could finish those classes up in the fall. We could take stats together :)
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 03:11:08 pm »
Yea, these surgeries are killing me. I've thought about going back while I'm still out and getting these last 6 credit hours.
This space for rent.

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 03:14:26 pm »
Yea, these surgeries are killing me.

Aren't they supposed to be doing the opposite? I don't think they're working.

I've thought about going back while I'm still out and getting these last 6 credit hours.

DO IT! We will do it together. If you wait until next year, we can be class of 2021 together.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 11:59:13 pm »
So regardless if the forest fire is caused by the ignorance of humans or from a natural lightning strike, you want to help make it how it was?

No. Not at all.

Here, this should answer your questions... or give you more.

https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,47054.0.html

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 01:09:07 am »
I never ended  school but i'm the third of the  institute in mathematical  challenges. And in private i formulated some new mathemathical rules about number greater than infinite.

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 08:42:00 am »
I never ended  school but i'm the third of the  institute in mathematical  challenges. And in private i formulated some new mathemathical rules about number greater than infinite.

But infinity is an idea, not an actual number?

Infinity+1=Infinity. I thought there were just varying degrees of infinity, like 2^infinity vs 3^infinity. Both are infinity, but the latter is a larger infinity. Is this not correct?
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red