deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Converting Oathbreaker Tokens Deck into a Commander Deck  (Read 265 times)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice Big Tokens

I'm converting my Selesnya tokens Oathbreaker deck into a Commander deck and want to keep it budget. Does it look fine, mana-cost wise? I know it's pretty top-heavy, but I think 38 lands and 10 ramp pieces can support it, right?

Here's the Oathbreaker deck: https://deckstats.net/decks/120669/1302068-huatli-radiant-champion/en

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Do you also have card draw (like Shamanic Revelation) and removal (like Beast Within)? You need mana ramp, card advantage, and interaction to make almost any strategy work.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
In the decklist, I have a section labeled card draw (with shamanic revelation in it) and a section labeled removal (with beast within in it). I'm not too worried about those 2 categories, just having enough mana.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
You have sufficient mana.  I would recommend 34 lands and 10 pieces of mana ramp.  I would count Awakening Zone as mana ramp.  This gives you 11 pieces of ramp.  So you could cut about 4 lands.  I would suggest cutting:
Grasslands - you shouldn't need a slow fetch in a 2-color deck with green.
At least one of the hideaway lands.
Consider cutting any other land that could enter tapped, like Khalni Garden.  Do you really NEED that 0/1 Plant?  Is it really worth a delayed land drop?
If you've still got a land or two to cut after that, I would go with basic Plains.  Skew your mana base slightly toward green.  Because all your early drop mana ramp is mono-green.  You want to be able to realiably cast the mana ramp in the early game.

Hope this helps.
Happy Brewing!
:)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Thanks, I wanted a second opinion, and you gave me one. I'll make the update soon.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
Hey I know you asked about mana ramp, and this isn't exactly ramp, but what about parallel lives? It is a color shifted anointed processions that you're running. And/or the more costly doubling season. And Primal Vigor, but that is universal so that is kind of at your own disgression.

I would say your best source of mana ramp is cryptolith rite, so you might want enlightened tutor as a way to go find it.

Mirrari's Wake also does a good job of this, as does Zendikar Resurgent while giving you card draw.

Emmara Tandris is just stupid.

I have had great success with phyrexian processor in my Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim list. I learned that 10 is the magic number. Anything bigger than 10 and people are afraid so they remove it immediately. You want at least 1 activation so you can get your life back via Trostoni. You know the green and white Finales are pretty amazing especially in a deck like this.

Finale of Devastation
Finale of Glory.

Good luck!
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
I know you want budget but I run a token deck and maybe you can take some ideas from it.

https://deckstats.net/decks/52552/1280791-emmara-soul-swarming-soldiers

Like I admit I use all 5 things that double my tokens such as Parallel Lives, Doubling Season, Anointed Procession, Second Harvest and Primal Vigor.

Collective Effort is great because you can choose all 3 modes. Pump up your entire team and blow up an enchantment and a creature.

Growing Rites of Itlimoc is a poor man's Gaea's Cradle

A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
@ApothecaryGeist - I swapped out the 4 lands, but not the Khalni Garden, cuz I like it, and not the hideaway lands, cuz they provide card advantage. My playgroup is very, very casual, so being a bit slow is not a problem at all. :P

@Red_Wyrm - I am unsure about Emmara Tandris, considering the mana cost, but I'll try it. When considering Phyrexian Processor, I completely forgot that after one activation, you make up for all life loss, so it's definitely a good idea to include. I am building a budget deck, so Mirari's Wake, Enlightened Tutor, and all those token doublers you mentioned are too expensive at this point for me. I didn't include Zendikar Resurgent because it has a really high mana cost, and it just feels eh in this deck, especially when my commander's ability doesn't work with it. I'm on the fence about Finale of Glory, though.

@robort - I agree about Collective Effort, and included it. I already have Growing Rites of Itlimoc in the deck. It was one of the first cards for the very reason you described, as I am a very poor man.

Thanks for all the help!

Revision 3

Added/removed cards:
-1 Grasslands
-1 Harvest Season
-1 Rootborn Defenses
+1 Citanul Hierophants
+1 Collective Effort
+1 Emmara Tandris
+1 Intangible Virtue
+1 Phyrexian Processor
+1 Soul's Attendant