deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Death and Taxes - Comments  (Read 946 times)

Comment Bot

Death and Taxes - Comments
« on: July 08, 2019, 03:17:56 am »
Death and Taxes

This topic has been created automatically to discuss this deck.
Dieses Thema wurde automatisch erstellt, um dieses Deck zu diskutieren.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: Death and Taxes - Comments
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 03:17:56 am »

Revision 5

Added/removed cards:
-1 Night's Whisper
+1 Bojuka Bog
+1 Bolas's Citadel
+1 Diabolic Tutor
+1 Ghostly Prison
+1 Windborn Muse

Changed amounts:
-1 (Main) +1 (SB) Ashes of the Abhorrent
-1 (Main) +1 (SB) Blood Seeker
-1 Plains
-1 Swamp

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 12:57:11 am »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 03:25:26 am »

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 07:18:53 am »
If you want some fast ramp you could play a cabal stronghold with Urborg, tomb of Yawgmoth. That's a lot of mana. Also if you're running blood artist then you can also play cruel celebrant to add to the life gain/loss.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 12:39:20 am »
I'm trying to keep it mostly budget, so Urborg is out, unfortunately (if I didn't care about budget, it would be a snap include). I would run Cruel Celebrant, but it contains a very important word, "you", that makes it mostly unusable in this deck. Blood artist is very cheap and triggers on any creature dying. This deck is by no means an Aristocrats deck, so Celebrant would do almost nothing in it. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 06:39:16 am »
so would you want to prevent them from playing cards and tax them out like with damping sphere and God-Pharaoh's statue or do you want them casting spells to be more painful for them?

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 09:23:40 pm »
The goal of this deck isn't to slow them down (which is stax, imo) because that isn't what I want to play in a fun, casual playgroup. I want to play taxes, where I let them play the game unhindered. They just have to pay their taxes (in the form of life most of the time).

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 06:40:28 am »
Which can be detrimental to you if life loss is an issue they don't have to deal with. You could add cards such as exsanguinate to your deck to really put people on a turn clock. That with the cabal coffers and magus of the coffers would be an explosive combo. Imagine playing this combo and then casting Revival // Revenge ?

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 10:54:34 pm »
I agree that having a budget is definitely hindering this deck. Exsanguinate with Cabal Coffers and Urborg is definitely a really spicy, crazy fun combo. I just don't have anywhere near the amount of necessary money. I plan on building this deck up alongside my playgroup (so as my playgroup gets more competitive, this deck will), so maybe at some point I can afford the cards. At that point, I could also be transforming it into more of a stax deck, if my playgroup becomes so competitive that it becomes necessary. Currently, though, this deck does ridiculously well, somehow. It was genuinely hilarious, but almost every game I have played with it, I have either been made archenemy or have won. We are completely casual and fun. Nobody really plays cards that just straight up wins the game. Most of winning just happens through incremental combat damage, which allows this deck to enter the late game with over 50 life (oftentimes more, I just get focused a lot) and with my opponents having less than 20. I've looked thoroughly at the EDHREC page for Kambal, life gain, an stax. I just post deck review requests in the hope a veteran graces me with their presence and gives me some <$10 sleeper cards. This deck is really complicated to tune (mainly because it's really hard to determine its power level) and even more complicated to keep on par with my playgroup, so that's why I may seem really picky.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 05:08:20 pm »
     That's fine and i completely understand. I currently have 51 commander decks and I do my best to have the best budget options to make them all work as well. When certain cards are needed I understand that money can be an issue but slow accumulation and finding other options does afford you new playstyle options. For example, I didn't know how i was going to run Rayami, First of the Fallen so i checked out EDHrec and saw some different deck builds. Surprisingly most of them were commons and uncommons I already had and looking through my rare binder i saw even better options. Majestic Myriarch and soulflayer put in so much work in my deck because they function in the same way that my commander does. They gain abilities from multiple creatures being in different zones so the deck keeps its synergy.

So looking at Kambal maybe it's just a matter of finding the right cards that do what he does so that you can speed up the effectiveness of the deck. For example, you could use a swords to plow share and cards that remove threats and give your opponent health but have tainted remedy on the field. You can add the sanguine bond and exquisite blood so that you gaining life or them losing life only adds to the hurt. All three of these enchantments would go great in your deck and the best part about it is that your commander would always trigger them. Constant life gain/loss for your opponents. What do you think about these suggestions?

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 05:54:39 pm »
I actually built this deck with the intention of winning through the Blood Bond combo, but exquisite blood was too expensive. All the other suggestions you made are already in the deck, but I didn't think of them as combos. I will add back in beacon of immortality because it one shots somebody with sanguine bond. When I get home tonight, I'll look for more cards that gain opponents life like swords to Plowshares. Can you think of any, cuz I really like the combo with Tainted remedy. I like the suggestions, especially because the cards that work in it are mostly cheap.

I think my main problem is that I have only been playing for 1 and a half years, so my card pool is pretty shallow (especially because I'm a primarily green blue player).

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 06:37:19 pm »
That's understandable. I primarily a Black player so i try to splash where i can but cards that gain life benevolent offering, congregate, false cure, also triskaidekaphobia is one of my favorite cards. Play that with the tree of perdition and you've got a kill combo between just those two cards. Also if you use the tree with Ayli Eternal Pilgrim then you can trigger her pretty easily by swapping the tree's toughness with someone's life total, then sac the tree to ayli eternal pilgrim, and gain 40 life in the same turn. Then from there its exile city.