deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: B&R and The Official Commander Philosophy Document  (Read 2579 times)

Judaspriester

• Decks
Re: B&R and The Official Commander Philosophy Document
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2019, 05:01:29 pm »
So has anyone's opinion on the bannings and unbanning changed now that there's been 24 hours to digest it?

Hmm.. for me it's still sad for Paradox Enginge and I still don't get why Flash hasn't become banned.

Besides that, Grindstone and Painter's Servant spike like hell since the announcement. I'm not sure what I shall think about this.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 05:46:52 pm »
So has anyone's opinion on the bannings and unbanning changed now that there's been 24 hours to digest it?

Now you've done it. Time to rant.

Sheldon has been very vocal in the past about how he doesn't like stax, combo, or anything that doesn't fit the rules committee's vision for commander. And with some of the things he says, it really does sound like he's disconnected from what commander is actually like ("Wound Reflection takes you out if the game emotionally").

The Commander Advisory Group was a step in the right direction. This is a bunch of people that are connected to other commander players. They receive fan-mail, they make videos, they know what commander is like. Most importantly for something like a banlist change, they know what cards people wanted on and off.

As far as I can tell, the consensus was simple; ban Flash.

But that's not what happened. Paradox Engine got the axe. Which is fine, it's a powerful card as well, and I would have been happy to kiss it goodbye... so long as Flash was going as well.

After watching that video from the Command Zone (like, actually watching. I didn't skim through it this time), I got the impression that the Commander Advisory Group's opinion was largely ignored. Josh certainly didn't want Paradox Engine to get banned.

The decision to ban Paradox Engine and Iona wasn't done because the commander community wanted it, and it wasn't done because the Commander Advisory Group wanted it. Sheldon and the rules committee wanted this to happen. This decision was made for themselves, and no one else.

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2019, 09:37:51 pm »
The new bannings/unbannings don't affect my playgroup at all. However, Painter's Servant being unbanned is unfun. I have a friend that is really happy about this and I am not looking forward to seeing what he puts together hehe.

I thought Flash would have been next up on the chopping block, if a card were to be considered for a banning.

Bridge from Below was the obvious modern banning. Imagine WotC trying to explain having to ban a card that came out a month ago.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2019, 07:17:24 am »
Also, at one point in the video, they mentioned that two cards ranked higher than Paradox Engine and Iona for cards people wanted to see banned, and that they said this in a previous episode. Anyone know what those two cards were?

The second part was posted today. The cards that the other content creators and people they talked to mentioned were Cyclonic Rift (most) and Sol Ring/Mana Crypt (tied for 2nd) more for bans than Iona (next in line).
This space for rent.