deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Custom Card Challenge: Commanders  (Read 13585 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Custom Card Challenge: Commanders
« on: July 11, 2019, 12:28:41 pm »
Participants, you are to design 4 legendary cards that can be used as your commander (if they are not legendary creatures, you must include "[cardname] can be your commander.") Design them as if they were cards that would be featured on the front of a commander pre-constructed deck. Treat these cards like they would all appear in the same set.

If you're looking for a simple card design website, I use mtgcardsmith.com

This contest will run for two weeks. After this time, I will lock this topic, and Soren841 will judge the entries.

Firegriff

• Decks
Re: Custom Card Challenge: Commanders
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 03:42:05 pm »

Eminence: If Atlas, the Released is in your Command Zone or on the battlefield, Giants and Elementals you control have flash.
Reach, Vigilance
Reduce the cost of Atlas, the Released by one for eac. Giant and Elemental you control.

Eminence: Whenever a Werewolf or Wolf you control would transform, if Howler, Deadly Fang is in you Command Zone or on the battlefield, you may choose not to transform it.
First Strike, Deathtouch.
Howler, Deadly Fang's power and toughness are equal to the number of Wolves and Werewolves you control.

Eminence: Whenever you cast an Angel, if Clarion is in the Command Zone or on the battlefield, create a 1/1 human soldier token with lifelink.
Flying, Hexproof, Lifelink
{w}{u}{b}{r}{g}: Search your library for an Angel, Artifact or Enchantment and put it into your hand.

Eminence: If Elspeth, Spirit of Hope is in you Command Zone or on the Battlefield, Planeswalkers you control may attack and defend as though they were creatures and Planeswalkers have power equal to their loyalty.
Indestructible, Lifelink
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 06:27:38 pm by Firegriff »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 05:42:21 pm »
Some of those eminence abilities are mighty strong.

The Elspeth card seems like something that would belong to a Gideon card more than her.
This space for rent.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 05:53:10 pm »
Some of those eminence abilities are mighty strong.

The Elspeth card seems like something that would belong to a Gideon card more than her.

Lol no influencing, that's why it's called a challange
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 06:02:08 pm »
It's called discussion...
This space for rent.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 06:24:29 pm »
Agreed it may be a discussion. Yet not like he couldn't change his ideas/commander based apon the discussion. Rules haven't been stated if you can change a submission once it has been submitted.  Plus if we are silent voting and  also discussing publically may influence others as well. So I have to ask, what exactly are the rules?
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 06:29:59 pm »
I'm ok with not being able to change it after submission.  The cards are supposed to be lead cards for a Commander deck run, so to me it makes sense forit to be strong enough to be buyable...

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 08:03:55 pm »
I had to make 5 to round out the colors a bit, but here is my submission. If I had to not have 1 judged, it would be the 5th options. But I think all 5 play well with each other. Mostly life manipulation and discard synergy. I feel like I need a 6th option for a {R} creature to make the full set of Partners, but I didn't want to go too overboard :)

Altum, the LightBringer {2WW}
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Knight
If ~ is in your Command Zone, you gain 1 life at the end of each player's turn.
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 Spirit Token with Flying for each card you discarded this turn.
Partner
2/4

Glorfindel, the Alchemist {1BG}
Legendary Creature - Elf Druid
If ~ is in your Command Zone, whenever you discard a card, you may pay 3 life: if you do, draw a card.
When ~ enters the battlefield or dies, you may draw 2 cards, then discard a card.
Partner
1/3

Tofilium, the Marquess {2WG}
Legendary Creature - Gnome Cleric
When ~ enters the battlefield, you become the Monarch.
When ever you gain life, you gain that much plus 2 life.
Partner
2/2

Tessalia, the High Mage {1UR}
Legendary Creature - Vedalken Wizard
If ~ is in your Command Zone, whenever you draw one or more cards, you may discard a card. If you do, you may and deal 3 damage to any target.
1UR: Return Tessalia from the field to your command zone.
Partner
3/3

Arthur, the Coward {1BB}
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue Coward
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, each player discards a card. You gain 2 life for each card discarded this way.
Partner
3/2

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 08:30:16 pm »
How about after 2 weeks no one can make new submissions, and we have a week for discussion and edits and then I judge the final submissions?
Nils is the God I worship

dexflux

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 09:13:24 pm »
How about a consistent theme? Let's make some DFC commanders!

My take on Esper "Investigate Control", RG "Werewolves Aggro", BR "Luck and Politics" and Abzan "Graveyard Enchantress": enter Emilie, Joachim, Conrad, and Misato. I tried pushing their abilities to the limit, since Commander is most certainly a high power format. I'd love to discuss their abilites, if anyone wants to. And please pardon the missing pictures - I'm bad at finding fitting ones.

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 09:37:47 pm »
So when making these I started with color identities and went from there.  I tried to pick which color combinations show the least love in Commander sets.  So I had Jeskai, which had zero, for tri-color, and any of the allied dual colors, since we've only had enemy dual commanders.  So I went with Jeskai, Gruul, Dimir, and rounded it out with Abzan, which left each color having representation in two decks.

Next I tried to build commanders around themes or archetypes that haven't really been done in Commander.  So that ruled out artifacts, big stompy, weenies, reanimator, lifegain, spellslinger, and a slew of others.  So my commanders became Jeskai Combat Chaos, Gruul Growth, Dimir Control, and Abzan Life Manipulation/Pillowfort.

I would be uploading the cards I made on Magic Set Editor but I can't connect my laptop to the internet.  Deployment sucks.

Matsuri, the Shifting Skies
2WUR
Legendary Creature - Spirit Monk
Flying
Whenever Matsuri, the Shifting Skies attacks, shuffle your library, then exile the top card.  Until end of turn, you may cast that card without paying its mana cost.
2/1

I tried to go for a card that felt like it matched its colors, and for me Jeskai's always been harder to do, leaning more towards a dual color card within the identity.  The Mind's dilation ability is obviously blue, but I feel that since it's an attack trigger, it lands itself in white as well, and the chaos of not knowing what you're casting adds the much loved red flavor.

Tulsava, the Living Roil
2WBG
Legendary Creature - Elf Shaman
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life for each creature card in your graveyard.
Whenever an opponent casts a spell that targets you or a creature you control, they lose 2 life.
T(Tap), Pay 3 life, exile a creature card from your graveyard: Return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control.  Exile it at the beginning of the next end step
4/5

Abzan colors are always hard to pin down.  Lifegain? Graveyard play? Pillowfort/stax?  So why not all three?  I think he's interesting, and with some tweaks/balancing, could be a great card for some casual commander play.

Drimarch the Crazed
2UB
Legendary Creature - Zombie Horror
T, Pay 2 life, sacrifice a creature and discard a card: Exile the top 3 cards of target player's library.  Until end of turn, you mast cast a non-creature card exiled with Drimarch, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast it.
Whenever a creature deals combat damage to you, gain control of it until end of your next turn.

So, black blue.  What does every black blue commander due, minus a couple exceptions?  Mill.  Either the opponent or yourself.  Or they benefit from milling someone.  I honestly hate mill, and refuse to build a deck around it unless I'm milling myself.  that's okay.  In commander it's very hard to win by milling your opponents, and rarely works.  You paint a target on yourself.  So that leaves Wrexial and a couple others.  I like the way this guy plays.  He's like Jeleva, but not as broken, only getting one activation per turn, one card per turn, and you have to pay a lot to use him.  Worth it? Maybe.  We'll see.

Zarkhan, Eyes Aflame
1RRGG
Legendary Creature - Minotaur Warrior
Whenever a creature you control enters the battlefield, if it has the least power or is tied for the least, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
T, remove any number of +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control: Zarkhan deals that much damage to any target.
3/4

What does Gruul do best?  Big stompies or a bunch of little guys.  Kalemne and Ezuri both did that.  So I tried to meet it in the middle, with smaller creatures that slowly get bigger.  But instead of just throwing down on an army of swollen squirrels, you could finish off something with his activated.  This guy was the biggest challenge for me, but I like the final result I came up with.

I'd love to hear other people's inputs.  Happy voting!
A single victory is all I need.

MisterDalek

• Waiting for gary in standard
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 01:37:57 am »
I simply made designs for tri-colour commanders that I feel are needed, as the strategies they could promote are not yet fully realised in the format. The strategies I wanted to promote are as follows:
- A Jund -1/-1 counter commander, as there are good golgari and rakdos commanders for this strategy, but none in jund.
- A Naya Wolf tribal commander, as I feel that even though there already exist 2 wolf tribal commanders neither fit the theme of the tribe very well.
- A Mardu Knight tribal commander. We all want knight tribal to be a thing, I have no idea why we've only ever had one half-decent knight commander which doesn't even encapsulate the three main colours for knights.
- An Esper Monarch commander. There exist mardu commanders for this strategy already, but I feel that substituting blue for red brings a lot to the strategy that would be appreciated.

Korlax, the Poisoned One
4BRG
Legendary Creature - Elemental Beast
7/7
Trample
Whenever CARDNAME enters the battlefield or attacks, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
Whenever a creature with a -1/-1 counter on it dies, return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step if CARDNAME is still on the battlefield

Roximus, Woodland Guardian
WRG
Legendary Creature - Wolf Spirit
2/2
Flash, Vigilance, First Strike
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, other wolf creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn.
1R, T, Sacrifice CARDNAME: Creatures you control gain +1/+1, haste, vigilance, and menace until end of turn.

Gascoigne, the Ruthless
1WBR
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
First Strike, Vigilance, Menace
Whenever another knight enters the battlefield under your control, creatures you control gain +1/+1 and haste until end of turn.
Sacrifice an untapped creature you control: Attacking creatures you control gain +1/+0 until end of turn.

Merlus, Imperial Lawman
2WUB
Legendary Creature - Human Advisor
2/4
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, you become the monarch.
If you are the monarch, creatures can't attack you unless their controller pays 1 for each of those creatures.
Whenever and opponent becomes the monarch, CARDNAME deals 1 damage to that player for each tapped creature he or she controls.

Edit: Re-adding the cards after cardsmith deleted them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 03:05:57 am by MisterDalek »
I play black decks.

That's about it.

BudgetishEDH

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 08:32:57 am »
First time making a card. I would love to get some feedback.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/cards_ip/1562893783491708.png?t=382287

Maralen of the Evensong
{3}{w}{g}{b}
Legendary Creature - Elf Avatar
5/5

When you draw a card, you may discard it. If you do, you gain life equal to its converted mana cost.

When your opponent draws a card they may discard it. If they do not, they lose life equal to its converted mana cost.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/cards_ip/1562906687519927.png?t=890895

Masukai, Lord of Spells
{4}{u}{u}{u}
Legendary Creature - Dragon Wizard
4/6

Flying
{u}{t} Counter target instant or sorcery spell.
{u}{u}{t} Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
{u}{u}{u}{t} You may play any number of spells returned by Masukai, Lord of Spells without paying their associated mana cost.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/cards_ip/1562910815572886.png?t=386146

Goorg the Furious
Planeswalker - Goblin Shaman
{2}{r}{r}

+1: Create a token 1/1 Goblin Warrior with haste.
-3: Destroy target creature, create a number of 1/1 Goblin Warrior tokens equal to destroyed creature's toughness.
-9: You get an emblem stating, "When a token creature you control dies, create two tokens that are a copy of that creature."

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/cards_ip/1562912003736484.png?t=123730

Mishraele, General of Justice
Legendary Creature - Angel
{x}{w}{u}{r}
4/4

Flying, Hexproof

Enchanted creatures you control gain Hexproof.

Sacrifice Mishraele, General of Justice, you may search your library for any number of enchantment cards and put them in your hand.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 03:57:12 pm by MasterD »

dexflux

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 08:10:55 pm »
Here's some feedback: (it will be harsh, so be warned)

Maralen of the Evensong
{3}{w}{g}{b}
Legendary Creature - Elf Avatar
5/5

When you draw a card, you may discard it. If you do, you gain life equal to its converted mana cost.

When your opponent draws a card they may discard it. If they do not, they lose life equal to its converted mana cost.

First, the body: a 5/5 for 6cmc (3 generic + Abzan colors) is fine, though it feels unusual for an elf.

The first ability is honestly fine. It fuels graveyard strategies and gains life on the side. Nothing too harsh on a 6cmc creature. Also, please use "whenever", since the trigger usually doesn't occur only once.

The second ability needs a rewording, since it currently does not work. You'd want it to say: "Whenever an opponent draws a card, they may discard it. If they don't, they reveal that card and lose life equal to its converted mana cost." In your first iteration, the card isn't revealed, which causes all other players not to know its cmc. That's a problem.

Apart from that, the powerlevel shouldn't be too harsh, though if not met with removal, it will escalate quickly. That is fine for 6cmc.

Masukai, Lord of Spells
{4}{u}{u}{u}
Legendary Creature - Dragon Wizard
4/6

Flying
{u}{t} Counter target instant or sorcery spell.
{u}{u}{t} Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
{u}{u}{u}{t} You may play any number of spells returned by Masukai, Lord of Spells without paying their associated mana cost.

Again, first the body. 4/6 flying for 7cmc in mono blue is reasonable, especially given a suite of abilities.

Now for the first ability: it's a better Dispel for the same mana cost once per round, more if you can untap. Definitely too strong. I'd consider it at 2U at least, otherwise I'd cut it. Even on a 7cmc creature, that ability is downright oppressive.

The second ability: hello, better Snapcaster Mage! Same as with the first ability. Apart from the missing body of Snappy, this is far better, since it returns to your hand and doesn't exile. All at instant speed, possibly repeatable. Maybe at 5cmc+.

The third ability: it just doesn't work. The game technically does not remember which cards you returned to your hand with the Commander's abilities. Also, what happens when those cards are in your graveyard or in exile? Or worse, in your library? The condition could be applied to those cards. It's hard to track and frankly, a rules nightmare. I don't know how to fix it.

Goorg the Furious
Planeswalker - Goblin Shaman
{2}{r}{r}

+1: Create a token 1/1 Goblin Warrior with haste.
-3: Destroy target creature, create a number of 1/1 Goblin Warrior tokens equal to destroyed creature's toughness.
-9: You get an emblem stating, "When a token creature you control dies, create two tokens that are a copy of that creature."

Oh, a planeswalker! Also, a blatant color pie break. But let's start slow:

2RR for a 3 loyalty planeswalker that can +1 is fine. Nothing to worry there. But now for the first thing I have my worries with:

The creature(!) types!. A planeswalker usually has its name as a (sub)type. In this case, the type would be "Legendary Planeswalker - Goorg". Planeswalkers with creature types don't sound impossible, but would be a very wild thing to do and probably invoke a rules nightmare. Also, it lacks the "This planeswalker can be your commander." line, but let's ignore that.

Now, for the +1 ability: creating a single 1/1 Goblin (Warrior) token is perfectly fine and probably a very red thing to do. I'd cut the Warrior type and just do Goblins, for the sake of simplicity.

The -3 ability: absolute color pie break. A mono red card does never state "destroy target creature" in a singular sentence, especially not with an upside. As for destruction, let me help rephrasing it in a more Goblin tribal-esque and proper red way: "-3: You may sacrifice a Goblin. If you do, ~ deals X damage to any target, where X is the amount of Goblins you control."

The -9: Essentially a token doubling effect, which has, apart from Goblins and Krenko, Mob Boss, no precedence in red, but in white and green. I think it would be fine if worded like this: "You get an emblem with: Whenever a Goblin token you control dies, create two tokens that are copies of it." This, while still game-ending strong, is hard to achieve, since you start with essentially four loyalty and need six further turns without shenanigans like proliferate. It's fine that way.

Mishraele, General of Justice
Legendary Creature - Angel
{x}{w}{u}{r}
4/4

Flying, Hexproof

Enchanted creatures you control gain Hexproof.

Sacrifice Mishraele, General of Justice, you may search your library for any number of enchantment cards and put them in your hand.

Mishraele is definitely the worst offender of the four, because it's just that imbalanced.

But let's sort that out:

Body: 4/4 flying hexproof for 3cmc, Jeskai colors. The X doesn't even do anything except existing. That's an insanely good body, especially in those colors.

Abilities: hexproof for enchanted creatures you control is fine, even at 3cmc. But: consider rewording it as "Other enchanted creatures you control have hexproof.", because Mishraele already has it. I'd even cut her own hexproof, because hexproofing your threats is pretty damn strong; compare to Shalai, Voice of Plenty. It's most certainly a white and blue ability, red doesn't contribute here.

And now for the holy grail of imbalance: "Sacrifice Mishraele, General of Justice, you may search your library for any number of enchantment cards and put them in your hand." This is broken on so many levels. Any number? It's strong at one or two enchantments, especially since you can instantly activate the sac ability on entering the battlefield. Also, just sacrificing a 3cmc creature for that effect is insanity. It would be insanity on a 7cmc creature.

There are ways to fix it, though. Let's severely weaken it: "6, Sacrifice ~: Search your library for up to two enchantment cards, reveal them, and put them into your hand, then shuffle your library." This way, there is a decent cost to the ability, while still holding an insanely strong effect, since it can fetch two card combos.

Another gripe I have with this creature is the fact that there really isn't anything red to its abilities. White and blue, yes, compare to Bruna, Light of Alabaster and, as above, Shalai. But nothing red at all. Red also doesn't deal with enchantments or hexproof. Even auras aren't exactly the red thing to have. You might consider just using WU.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 08:14:50 pm »
please no commenting on the submissions until the 2 weeks are up
Nils is the God I worship