deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Yarok's Squirrels  (Read 1075 times)

damatovg7

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Yarok's Squirrels
« on: July 13, 2019, 01:06:58 am »
Yarok's Squirrels

Finally caved and managed to work on my Yarok deck. It is done, but I think it turned out well, especially because it isn't too expensive.

Judaspriester

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Yarok's Squirrels
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 01:33:23 am »
Hey,

some points that catched my eye: Even with Yarok, I don't think that Acidic Slime is a good card. cmc 5 for a single target on sorcery speed is very bad for a removal. Unless it exiles, you usally aim for instants with cmc 1-2 like Return to Nature or Nature's Claim.

then, Earthcraft seems a little lost in the deck, at least if I compare it's price to the other stuff you added.

As far as I've noticed you want to use Arbor Elf/Earthcraft + Intruder Alert + Squirrel Nest for a endless amount of tokens. This sounds nice, but already requires 3 cards and still doesn't allow you to win, since you're lacking haste or a sacrifice option that allows you to finish in the same turn you generate the tokens. Earthcraft + Throne of the God-Pharaoh may do the job, but this already requires 4 specific cards. a infinite life gain with the tokens + sanguine bond also seems possible, but this is again a 5 card combo.

the chance to draw 4 or even 5 specific cards until turn 10 is like 2% or even less (to be honest, its already late, and I'm to lazy to calculate it now). If you really want to win with your infinite amount of squirrels, you should really think about some tutors. The Rune-Scarred Demon may do the job, but a single tutor won't change the chances that much, and hes at cmc 7, which makes him kinda hard to cast.

All in all, the land base is fine, but the rest of the deck seems, at least for me, like some squirrel cards thrown in and then filled up with sultai staples/goodstuff. I may be wrong at this point, but this is my personal feeling.

I can try to help you reworking the deck if you want my help after this kinda harsh critic. If you want it, tell me please which cards are important for you and what is the game plan you imagined for this deck.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

damatovg7

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 02:01:29 am »
hi @judaspriester,

It would appear that you assume my deck is made with the intent to be cEDH. Trust me, it is not. I do not make EDH decks to be competitive at all. I make them to be fun. Also, Intruder Alert is there for extra fun as well as Arbor Elf. Neither of those 2 are required for the infinite Squirrel combo, I only need Squirrel Nest and Earthcraft for the combo to work. All the extra cards are there as ways to work with it. Throne of the God-Pharaoh, Earthcraft, and Squirrel Nest is a 3 card combo that would win the game so long as my creatures don't die before the end of the turn. Sanguine Bond is to combo with Leyline of Vitality and other forms of lifegain I placed into the deck, and Rune-Scarred Demon is an easy tutor card that lets me get any 2 cards from my deck when it ETBs, assuming Yarok is on the battlefield. I appreciate the offer, but overall, I am really happy with the deck. If you have any suggestions, I will look at them, but I would have to see which cards you are thinking of so far.

damatovg7

• Decks

damatovg7

• Decks

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 01:17:25 pm »
Mhh.. I usually think about efficiency, but with my suggestions, I try to match the given budget. I like it if decks do what they are intended to do, but I usually don't super optimize my deck for cEDH. Besides that, I usually write what I think about the deck, but I don't want to claim that my opinion is always the right one. ;)

Today I'm lacking a little time, but within the next week I will take another look on your deck (and the changes made) and try to write a little more constructive feedback, what could be changed.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

damatovg7

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 09:24:52 pm »

Revision 44

Added/removed cards:
-1 Nature's Lore
+1 The Great Henge

damatovg7

• Decks