deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] General Tazri Allies Help  (Read 449 times)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
[EDH / Commander] General Tazri Allies Help
« on: July 16, 2019, 03:21:41 am »
General Tazri Allies

I have never built a 5 color EDH deck before, so I am not quite sure if I'm good. My intention here is to build a cheap, fun, and very casual General Tazri Allies Tribal deck. I am fine with the tri-lands coming in tapped, etc. but I don't know how much I can stretch my mana base (can I put in spells with double or triple of a certain mana symbol). I have weighted it towards white (for Tazri) and green (for ramp). Any other suggestions? Can I get a seal of approval in terms of consistency from a more experienced player?

Thanks ahead of time!

Chiru

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] General Tazri Allies Help
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 05:21:13 am »
I don't consider myself an experienced player, and I definitely wouldn't consider it to be anywhere near the best version out there, but here's mine. Same thing, 5-color Tazri Allies commander.

I really didn't focus on any one point in particular, I just collected Allies over time and threw them together, but hopefully this will help give you some ideas.
My experience with this deck is surprisingly good. I've had times when I got too much or too little mana, and I still managed to get the win with hardly anything thanks largely to effects like all allies gain double strike or vigilance, etc. And to my own surprise, I've only had a couple of losses with the deck.

I haven't really put any recent cards in, but I might put in some better ramp in the future. Hope this helps.
I don't know how to get my decklist to show up here besides just copy/paste, so here's a link as well.
Edit - Apparently just copy/paste puts it up, so I removed the long list.

https://deckstats.net/decks/73469/1207651-tazri-s-allies
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 05:22:51 am by Chiru »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 06:08:45 am »
Thanks for providing your decklist and insight, I appreciate it. I'll look at your decklist to see if there's anything I want to add.

Chiru

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 09:10:59 am »
No problem, and thanks to you as well. I didn't know some of those Allies existed, and your decklist gave me some new ideas too.  :)

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 10:11:01 am »
Hey,

first of all, there is, at least for me, a ramp piece missing: Fellwar Stone. Since you playing 5 color, it can't produce colored mana you don't need. ;)
Besides that, Chromatic Lantern and Growing Rites of Itlimoc might be interesting.

For Extra ETBs, what about Conjurer's Closet?

Vampiric Tutor is in the deck because you've got one? He seems a little displaced compared to the deck price.

If you want to improve your mana base, this is what I use in my 5c warrior deck:
Ramp/Fixing (13)
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Cryptolith Rite
1 Cultivate
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Expedition Map
1 Farseek
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Growing Rites of Itlimoc
1 Herald's Horn
1 Joiner Adept
1 Oketra's Monument
1 Sol Ring
1 Sylvan Scrying

Lands (36)
1 Bountiful Promenade
1 Canopy Vista
1 Cascading Cataracts
1 Cinder Glade
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Command Tower
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Drowned Catacomb
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Exotic Orchard
3 Forest
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Hinterland Harbor
1 Island
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Krosan Verge
1 Luxury Suite
1 Morphic Pool
1 Mountain
1 Path of Ancestry
1 Plains
1 Prairie Stream
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Rootbound Crag
1 Sea of Clouds
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Spire Garden
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Sunken Hollow
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Swamp
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Thespian's Stage
1 Woodland Cemetery

/edit: fixed the Closet.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:30:16 pm by Judaspriester »
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

bigdogdch

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 01:17:47 pm »
You also may want to take a look at panharmonicon and Vesner the Sojourner
Also other creatures that can bounce your allies in and out like Brago or Roon

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 06:07:42 pm »
Ok thanks for the comments.
@Judaspriester: I forgot about fellwar stone, and will add that. I considered rite and will probably include it , too. I don't really like growing rites of itlimoc because it only gives green mana, but maybe it's good enough. Unfortunately, a lot of your lands are out of my price range, so I can't add much from there. Do you think the panoramas warrant inclusion? I'm torn about chromatic lantern, though. It's a fantastic card, and I may end up buying it just because of its utility in so many decks.

@bigdogdch: I already have panharmonicon, and venser is out of my price range. I am looking into other blinking effects, though.

When I get to my computer, I'll add some suggestions I liked the most.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 06:29:45 pm »
Well.. the Lantern makes colorfixing kinda easy, as soon as she shows up. especially for 5color this helps alot. Joiner Adept does the same as creature.

About the land base: I haven't expected that you will copy it 1:1, still I thought it would be a help. If the budget is a problem, at first cut the battlebond lands (e.g. Bountiful Promenade), that should already help alot.
The panoramas.. well.. I personally don't like them that much, but on the other hand, they enter untapped and allow some flexibility on a price. Hmm.. they seem at least better than the 3color taplands and would work better with checklands (e.g. Clifftop Retreat) and battlelands (e.g. Canopy Vista), if you get your hands on some of them in the future.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

bigdogdch

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 08:03:58 pm »
What about Harabaz Druid?

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 10:30:48 pm »
Ok, I made the updates. I will be adding some "shuffle graveyard into library" effects like Primal Command, etc. Maybe you can make some suggestions. If I had the money, I would swap the land base to battlelands + checklands + panoramas (and maybe I will after rotation), but for now, I think I'll be fine just adding the panoramas. I took out some subpar ramp and Allies and swapped in better ramp and some more ETB & blinking effects.

Revision 2

Added/removed cards:
-1 Call to the Kindred
-1 Cascading Cataracts
-1 Commander's Sphere
-1 Kodama's Reach
-1 Pillar of Origins
-1 Rampant Growth
-1 Tajuru Archer
-1 Zulaport Cutthroat
+1 Bant Panorama
+1 Brutalizer Exarch
+1 Chromatic Lantern
+1 Conjurer's Closet
+1 Cryptolith Rite
+1 Esper Panorama
+1 Fellwar Stone
+1 Grixis Panorama
+1 Joiner Adept
+1 Jund Panorama
+1 Momentary Blink
+1 Naya Panorama

Changed amounts:
-1 Island
-1 Mountain
-1 Plains
-1 Swamp

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 11:45:32 pm »
I'm trying to make this deck really resilient, like its older brother, Food Chain Tazri, and these 2 cards were the first ones I could think of. They double as recursion and grave hate. I am looking for creatures in particular, so it's a little bit easier to tutor for them.

Revision 3

Added/removed cards:
-1 Momentary Blink
-1 Swords to Plowshares
+1 Loaming Shaman
+1 Primal Command

bigdogdch

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 03:08:28 am »
A real fun card for ETB effects is Dual Nature as it creates a token of the creature when it enters the battlefield. Draw back is it works for your opponents too. But with Dual Nature and Panharmonicon together you would get 3 allies triggering each ETB ability twice.
Also Artificial Evolution or Arcane Adaptation turns all your creatures into allies so that with Turntimber Ranger you get infinite 2/2 wolf allies

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 06:36:46 am »
I would argue that the tri-lands and vivid lands are undervalued if you're going for a budget 5 color mana base. This is my Scion deck. It rarely has problems with mana and usually manages to go off by turn 6 or sooner, which involves having every color to play Scion. The shock lands are obviously a bit pricey, but those can be replaced with basics and check lands, maybe getting rid of a few 5 color pieces like Mana Confluence and Cavern of Souls for the same reason.
https://deckstats.net/decks/132279/1299294-scion-reanimator-degenerate-co
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 11:44:15 pm »
I'm glad somebody agrees about the tri-lands. I would include the vivid lands, but I haven't had problems with the mana base, and they slow it down further. I swapped in some cards you suggested @bigdogdch cuz I think they're cool and are pretty nice and cheap.

Revision 4

Added/removed cards:
-1 Ghostly Flicker
-1 Halimar Excavator
+1 Artificial Evolution
+1 Dual Nature