deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: The star city m20 standard meta break down  (Read 403 times)

nifty129

The star city m20 standard meta break down
« on: July 17, 2019, 08:43:13 pm »
So our goal here is to review the lists of the most recent standard tournament results

and gleam about where the meta is heading for the remainder of the summer.

The results were as follows;

1 mono red
2 mono blue
3 Temur elementals
4 Orzhov vamps
5 Orzhov vamps
6 Bant nissa ramp
7 Boros Feather
8 Esper Hero

So let's jump into the interesting parts of these lists starting at the bottom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has to be the greediest esper list I have ever seen at a major tournament.

There running the hero package, the tefari package, life gain package, zero board clears, and both bolas's citadel and command the dreadhorde

This list screams I played this arena, and now I don't understand why I got beat out by every deck that can present a decent board state.

Even a lowly tribal list...

So math time - Six mana is traditionally a lot in paper mtg, but in arena draw algorithms start you with 3 lands, all you have to do is play an additional 3 by the end of the game.

Now imagine playing in paper, first hand is a no lander, second hand is a 2 lander but you have to go down a card, and aggro is on the play. You've basically already lost without board clears.

So greedy esper hero placing at the bottom of the tournament rankings surprises no one

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boros Feather, is basically a less reliable version of modern infect

The equation goes like this. Is the opponent able to remove your 2 mana creature.

If no then you win, if yes then you loose.

There is no recovering, no alternate win con, just 1 creature and a hand full of tricks.

As such side boarding in best of 3 takes a lot of the sting out of this type of strategy so we see it at 7

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nissa ramp

Something, something, something, Nissa is a very valid way to play in both arena and paper.

Again were not being all that greedy if our ramp strategy revolves around a 5 drop, but then

we have a ton of ramp to help play that 5 drop.

Whatever win cons we play afterward is largely secondary, but mass manipulation and jellyfish hydra makes the most sense.

Definitely a scary list, and scary in a very sensible way so we see it at 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vamps - the new additions from m20 are strong, both in the 1 and 3 slot.

The new sarkhan being the highlight, but having a mana pump 1 drop means you have additional reach

That being said, this is still just a tribal deck with all the weakness one would expect.

Board clears, hand hate, bounces, ravenous chupacabra, single target removal, life gain

From my experience playing against this list it's super easy to beat if you tech against it

The success of this deck speaks more to the fact that we were so devoid of competent creature lists in war of the spark

That players have largely forgotten what it's like to face them, but players from the Ahmohnket days will remember what to do.

Still I'm thrilled this list take 4th and 5th and it deserves it's time to shine

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Temur Elementals - Love the theme of this deck

What if instead of something, something, nissa, mana explosion

We play a highly fine tuned tribal ramp strategy into two different versions of chandra.

Risen reef is card draw, omnath is removal and buffing, cavalier is a beefy 5 drop value creature, and we have aggressive tribal dudes too

This is arguable one of the most dynamic and interesting m20 lists.

It has so many win cons, it pivots so well, and it ramps with the best of them

Definitely deserves the 3 slot, because it's strong, but struggles without rissen reef.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've largely thought that mono blue is extremely powerful, and has been a relevant consideration since ravnica allegience dropped

As we can see nothing has changed, with the list only getting better with the likes of spectral sailor, and that's basically it.

But it turns out being able to flash your 1 drop into a curious obsession play,

is probably one of the most powerful turn 1, turn 2 plays especially backed up by divedown or spellpierce.

Don't expect this list to make any waves in arena however, tempo is largely made obsolete by the arena draw alogrithm

and the insane amount of on curve land drops this results in, but in paper absolutely disgusting.

Deserves to be rank 2, with a close matchup against red that could go either way

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mono red - The villain this city needs

I like chandra's spitfire here as the big new addition

I've even seen cavalcade of calamity brews with it it's that good

Reminds me of izzet wizards a bit with the way it's turns play out,

ads a level of strategy and thinking to red that didn't exist before.

With the likes of ember hauler

So overall I'm glad the list exists to punish greed, and it's no surprise it placed first

If you want to beat it, just tech as little less greedy, and you'll have a fighting chance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall a pretty sweet tournament, and it displays a far healthier meta then in war of the sparks non interactive walker extravaganza

I just wish we had something like this 6 months ago, and don't get me wrong war of the spark decks will still dominate best of 1 ladder

That's just how the format is set up, and the hearthstone esque mentality, wizards of the coast went with for arena.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:48:05 pm by nifty129 »

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
Re: The star city m20 standard meta break down
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 10:32:05 am »
Is that an Arrow reference in the title? Or does Star City actually mean something?

Either way is cool, but I truly hope it is the former, although my I stopped watching the show after season 6, and Marvel all the way.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 10:36:44 am »
I assumed it meant Star City Games, who are an American MTG distributer who also hold tournaments and events (I think that's right. I'm from the UK so I don't know too much, I just like their Commander VS stuff on YT).

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 11:14:08 am »
I too am assuming he means Star City Games (starcitygames.com).
This space for rent.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 11:15:04 am »
That is sad. But that didn't even cross my mind that it could mean star city games, which is also sad.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

nifty129

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 02:19:57 pm »
Yeah sorry, the starcity games tournament.

It's the first real peak we've had at the m20 standard meta.

Before that everyone's just been run the same war of the spark lists.