deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Aggiorna Sessione button and then try again.

Autore Topic: can this combo work? with the new commander volrath.  (Letto 1184 volte)

vali0021

• Decks
can this combo work? with the new commander volrath.
« il: Agosto 08, 2019, 02:18:55 am »
you have volrath, the shapestealer

you have butcher ghoul

you have Lifeblood Hydra

so i was thinking, you put a -1/-1 counter on butcher ghoul with volrath, the shapestealer. then butcher comes back with a +1/+1 counter.

so my question is: can you somehow kill volrath and give him undying from the butcher so he comes back, and give him the die effect from lifeblood hydra? if you can figure it out if its possible plz let me know :)

MisterDalek

• Waiting for gary in standard
  • Decks
Re: can this combo work? with the new commander volrath.
« Risposta #1 il: Agosto 08, 2019, 02:57:41 am »
Unfortunately, I don't believe this to be possible due to the fact that for the effects to combine, Volrath would have to copy the other creature while the effect of the first is occurring. In this situation both effects are "dies" triggers, meaning that Volrath would have to somehow be able to activate his ability while not on the battlefield, which I believe to be impossible (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

This would work if you used a card like endling instead of the ghoul because the undying effect would remain on Volrath when you then changed him to become the hydra and sacrificed him to get the "dies" effect.

Hope this helps
I play black decks.

That's about it.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Risposta #2 il: Agosto 08, 2019, 03:59:59 am »
This combo won't work because, like MisterDalek said, you can't copy both simultaneously. However, this kind of combo is the backbone of the Mike and Trike deck built around Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, so you might give him a look.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Risposta #3 il: Agosto 08, 2019, 10:02:57 am »
MisterDalek already pointed in the right direction.
As addition, Cauldron of Souls would also work in stead of the Butcher Ghoul, since you just want a recursion effect.

Otherwise, other recursion effects like Phyrexian Reclamation, Victimize or Journey to Eternity would also work, even if they are a little slower or more mana intensive.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

vali0021

• Decks
« Risposta #4 il: Agosto 08, 2019, 06:08:14 pm »
thx for the explanation and the other options guys appriciate it :)

dexflux

• Decks
« Risposta #5 il: Agosto 13, 2019, 11:35:43 pm »
It might not work with Volrath, but cards like Necrotic Ooze enable loops similar to what you intended.

An example:

Cast Buried Alive -> get Necrotic Ooze, Phyrexian Devourer and Walking Ballista (or Triskelion)
Reanimate Nooze -> activate the ability of Devourer on Nooze until you have enough +1/+1 counters to kill the table with the activated ability of either Ballista or Triskelion.

Nooze gets all activated abilities of all creature cards in all graveyards, so it's almost build-your-own-creature, slime version!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Risposta #6 il: Agosto 14, 2019, 04:06:26 am »
Ooze is a good strategy with Hermit Druid as well.
This space for rent.