deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH] Stupid ammounts of mana in Sultai  (Read 3848 times)

Raketenudo

• Decks
[EDH] Stupid ammounts of mana in Sultai
« on: August 27, 2019, 10:04:28 am »
Hey everyone,

there is a card i really love, but to date, am unable to fit into a deck:
Villainous Wealth

For the last few days I was thinking about building a deck around this card, but I am stuck and was hoping to find a few suggestions here.
So, this is what i want to do:
- play at least Sultai (BUG) or a color combination containing Sultai
- be able to get to stupid ammounts of mana (like, in the 20-40 range) consistently
- have a working deck that is not 60% Mana Rocks and Ramp
- use other pay offs like Torment of Hailfire, Mass Manipulation, Gelatinous Genesis, Genesis Wave, Dread Summons
- have a central strategy that supports this, but isn't a one-hit-wonder that can only produce mana, and has some alternate playmodes or win conditions
- provide a few mana sinks outside of those big spells

And here is what I have so far:
- I don't want to play infinite mana combos - this would spoil the fun with all those X-Spells
- Doubling Cube, Boundless Realms, Kruphix, God of Horizons, Mana Reflection, Regal Behemoth, Unbound Flourishing, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Zendikar Resurgent, Zhur-Taa Ancient, Mirari's Wake might be able to support this strategy
- Thrasios, Triton Hero might be a nice Commander here, as he provides a great Mana Sink and Ramp
- Maybe Elves are a viable strategy with Priest of Titania, Elvish Archdruid, Marwyn the Nurturer, Wirewood Channeler, Gaea's Cradle
- Budget is not an Issue, as I have a rather large card pool and my playgroud allows any number of proxys

So, does anyone have an idea for the direction this deck could take? How do I get to stupid ammounts of mana consistently in Sultai?

Thanks,

Rakteneudo
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 10:30:30 am by Raketenudo »

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: [EDH] Stupid ammounts of mana in Sultai
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 10:34:08 am »
Hey man.

I built a similar deck that wants the same thing: cast VW for huge with no infinite combo.

The way I did it was like this:

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/1373218-sultai-tasigur-unbound

Note I tend to work to a budget so there are no doubt ways to do this better, but the basic principal is this:

We fill up our graveyard as much as possible, then use something like World Shaper or The Mending of Dominaria to get all of our lands from our graveyard onto the field.
We also use things like Zendikar Resurgent to double our mana (there are many cards that do this but this one I already had. Some of these can be quite pricey but if budget isn't a concern then there are lots of options to pick from).

Unbound flourishing is also great if you want to cast big X spells.

But essentially, Sultai is really good at filling up the graveyard and getting things back. This is a decent way to get a consistently large amount of mana without going infinite.

I've cast VW for 20-40 many times with this deck, and it's no where near optimised.

Good luck on your hunt!

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 11:48:48 am »
One of my favorite decks is a hyper aggresive elfball deck built around using Ezuri, Renegade Leader 's overrun effect and infi--

"I don't want to run infinite mana"

Well, crap. If you're considering elves and other mana dorks like Elvish Archdruid and Priest of Titania, I would suggest looking at this anyway. I think this is approaching an optimal deck for monogreen mana elves, and a lot of it could probably be ported as a shell for what you're running.

https://deckstats.net/decks/132279/1340793-ezuri-elfball/en
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 01:14:45 pm »
I have a friend who had a double mana deck which consisted of Zhur-Tah Ancient and Omnath, Locus of Mana and then he would fireball someone for 200. In fact my brother loved it so much that I went ahead and built him a better version of the deck (by adding instant speed burn spells like comet storm). I ran Awakening, Omnath, Locus of Mana, Manaflare, Dictate of Karametra, Priest of Titania, Elvish Archdruid and llanowar Elves. Then I used Comet Storm, Volcanic Geyser, Banefire and Red Sun's Zenith. Looking back on it, I could've splashed blue for Hypersonic Dragon so I could respond to ANYTHING with a Banefire which is damn near impossible to prevent.

I've tried to remake the deck into an EDH deck, but I have had little success. I was thinking make Omnath my commander, but that is mono green. Sure I can do a Genesis Wave for 100, but I wanna burn faces off. So I went to gruul, but I couldn't find a good gruul commander and those colors aren't the best for tutoring. I thought about just running every green tutor so I could go find Omnath, but then the deck is too dull as it is the same thing every time. What am I tutoring for today? OMNATH! I have Omnath already. Wordly  Tutor and Chord of Calling are now dead draws in my hand. So yeah...

Kruphix doesn't have red, so same problem as Omnath as the commander.

I thought perhaps Jund, but I run into the same Gruul problem, although black tutors are sooooo much more versitile, so I am still considering that, but you can't put Villainous wealth in that.

Perhaps A five color deck like Ramos, Dragon Engine because that dude does a decent job of generating mana, and he is in the command zone and he is all five colors so you have no limitation. You can run Kruphix and Omnath while also using cabal coffers + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Mystical Tutor to find your Villainous wealth, and Comet Storm because it is freaking amazing in a deck like this.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Raketenudo

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 03:10:33 pm »
@CleanBelwas
Thats a nice Idea. I'm not really into Graveyard decks but I'll be considering this.

@Slyvester12
I'm looking into Elves as well for this Deck, just not sure if it's the right strategy. But thanks for posting the list, gave me a few nice pointers

@Red_Wyrm
Don't really want to get into Rainbow, though Ramos is a nice Idea. Besides, even though I know Burn would be a nice strategy, it's not what I want to do with this deck.

I think I'll be looking into elves with Thrasios and... maybe Tymna the Weaver to get my dorks as draw engines up

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 06:18:30 am »
Glad it helped. I should have also mentioned that the only things that go infinite in that deck are Umbral Mantle and Sword of the Paruns. Without them, it's just a big mana deck.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.