deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Syr Gwyn Revisited (7/20/2022)  (Read 12808 times)

Jesterskull

• Decks
Syr Gwyn Revisited (7/20/2022)
« on: September 11, 2019, 09:40:43 pm »
Rise of Syr Gwyn (Mardu Knights Commander) Finalized for your review

https://deckstats.net/decks/114065/1404176-rise-of-syr-gwen-mardu-knights?lng=en
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 09:26:21 pm by Jesterskull »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: Rise of Syr Gwyn (Mardu Knights Commander) Finalized
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 01:37:51 am »
I just want to point out that putting your cards in sections like ramp, card draw, etc. makes it a lot easier for both you and anybody reviewing your deck to figure out how well-balanced your deck is. For example, my Kumena Merfolk deck (https://deckstats.net/decks/120669/1357840-tippity-tappity/en) has sections for ramp, card draw, and removal, as well as its various themes. One quick look tells me it has plenty of each of the 3 staple categories (card draw, ramp, and removal) and that the deck is well-balanced and will consistently perform well. The sections also let the people looking at it know what its themes are and how it intends to win the game.

After looking at the tab labeled "EDH suggestions", I notice some very important things. You lack Sol Ring (which is fantastic in almost every single EDH deck but is even better in decks with expensive commanders that have 2 or more colorless mana in their mana cost) and all 3 signets. I love signets in 3 color decks because in addition to being straight ramp, they also fix your colors. If you get flooded with one color, they can turn extra mana of that color into other colors. In 3 color decks, I like them much better than talismans, of which you are running the full 3. I like both full sets in this deck, but if you can only run one set, I would prioritize signets. Another major problem I notice is an almost complete lack fast, flexible removal.
Profane Procession (clunky creature removal)
Kaya's Guile (inconsistent but ok creature removal)
Vandalblast (fantastic artifact removal)
Winds of Abandon (good, versatile creature removal/board wipe)
Aryel, Knight of Windgrace (clunky creature removal)
Embereth Shieldbreaker (new card, so not definitive, but I think it is pretty solid artifact removal in this deck)
Hellkite Tyrant (artifact "removal")
Murderous Rider (another new card, but I think it's actually pretty good, just make sure you can get enough black mana for the double pips)
Vona, Butcher of Magan (extremely clunky creature/artifact/enchantment removal)
So, you have 6 pieces of creature removal, 3-4 pieces of artifact removal, and 1 piece of enchantment removal.
This may seem good, but most of your removal is expensive or sorcery speed. I used to include (subjectively) bad cards like Vona, Butcher of Magan and Aryel, Knight of Windgrace because they fit the theme of my deck. Vona is just straight up bad (imo), and Aryel is decent, just not as removal. I would look at swapping in cards like:
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Generous Gift
Grasp of Fate
Chaos Warp
Anguished Unmaking
Mortify
They are either flexible (can kill nonland permanents, or just permanents in general) or are extremely cheap (means you don't have to leave up much mana). I like having 5 pieces of creature removal and 5 pieces of artifact/enchantment removal. If cards destroy nonland permanents, then I count them as 1 copy of each. I suggest:
Swords to Plowshares
Generous Gift
Anguished Unmaking
Chaos Warp
Vandalblast
Mortify
Return to Dust
These cards are so much more flexible than the ones you are including and they even take up less spaces. Some of your cards can be kept (Aryel, Knight of Windgrace & Hellkite Tyrant) because they are good outside of removal, but a lot can just be traded out.
Otherwise, your deck is solid. You have a decent amount of ramp & card draw, further bolstered by your commander.
If you want another decklist to compare it to, here's mine: https://deckstats.net/decks/120669/1401136-syr-gwyn-equipped-knights/en
Note: It is budget, so I have excluded a lot of cards you include, but maybe you will get some more ideas. Mine is also more of a Voltron deck, rather than Knight tribal.

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 06:53:08 am »
Well I did my own subsections like asked, though I think some go into multiple. (also not the best at this) (for example don't want to split the land, even though some of the land could count to card draw.)

Honestly like it the other way because it doesn't seems so random.

You can suggest to re edit it to something else (again).... but please keep the same cards in this deck. (not looking to replace another card and there are certain combos I like in this deck.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:03:10 am by Jesterskull »

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 12:18:14 pm »
Hmm.. Since you're able to ignore equip costs, what about using this a little more with cards? Here some suggestions: Colossus Hammer, Heartseeker, Ogre's Cleaver, Blade of Selves.

Then, what about Bedevil as removal? I like it because its kinda flexible.

In stead of Anger I would prefere Fervor. It's not like you have alot of discard or sac outlets, so you would need to find a way to get Anger into your graveyard before you can make use of it.

Since you're already using the lattice, what about Cranial Plating?

btw, I would suggest to move the ramp artifacts into the ramp section, in stead of artifacts.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 06:28:04 pm »
Moving the Artifacts section into the Ramp section like asked

(Though again not changing out cards.) (So nothing more then that)

(as for Anger, I like it for what it does, but also it's a placeholder just in the small chance a red knight comes along that affects group haste similar way. I need a creature like this where it is anyway.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:48:59 pm by Jesterskull »

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 09:05:43 am »
K, thought about it, changing Anger for Magus of the Wheel (to add card draw and another discard outlet.) (this will be the only exception)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:50:30 am by Jesterskull »

MagicMarty

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 11:19:18 am »
Love the Artifact control direction you are going !

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 05:20:15 pm »
Thanks... thats the aim. (at least one of them.)

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 04:48:27 am »
I didn't want to, but during testing decided a few cards didn't let the deck go into the desired direction so replaced them, with more fitting cards.

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 12:40:10 am »
Made another major update to the deck..... was too clunky before.

Sorry, trying to make this deck type work as best as possible.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:42:57 am by Jesterskull »

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 06:47:12 pm »
Hmm.. Since you're able to ignore equip costs, what about using this a little more with cards? Here some suggestions: Colossus Hammer, Heartseeker, Ogre's Cleaver, Blade of Selves.

Then, what about Bedevil as removal? I like it because its kinda flexible.

In stead of Anger I would prefere Fervor. It's not like you have alot of discard or sac outlets, so you would need to find a way to get Anger into your graveyard before you can make use of it.

Since you're already using the lattice, what about Cranial Plating?

btw, I would suggest to move the ramp artifacts into the ramp section, in stead of artifacts.

Thanks for the Cranial Plating tip... ended up using it.

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 01:18:59 am »
Fixed the visual bug.... I think... maybe

Revision 22

Added/removed cards:
-1 Embereth Shieldbreaker
-1 Murderous Rider
-1 Order of Midnight
-1 Smitten Swordmaster
+1 Embereth Shieldbreaker // Battle Display
+1 Murderous Rider // Swift End
+1 Order of Midnight // Alter Fate
+1 Smitten Swordmaster // Curry Favor

Jesterskull

• Decks
Re: Rise of Syr Gwyn (Mardu Knights Commander)
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 08:31:40 pm »
another visual edit while replacing one knight with another (That I think will be more effective)

Jesterskull

• Decks
Re: Rise of Syr Gwyn (Mardu Knights Commander)
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 12:15:53 am »
So been comparing this edh to alot of other recent Syr Gwyn decks....

And noticed alot went the Boro-ish route....

Makes me glad I was able to pull this deck off and actually be a Mardu deck.

(Would like thank Wizard for alot of the recent awesome red and black creatures and knights or I don't think this would have been possible.)

Renaming this deck type to Metal Mardu Knights.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 12:18:19 am by Jesterskull »

Jesterskull

• Decks
Re: Rise of Syr Gwyn (Metal Mardu Knights Commander)
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 06:16:40 am »
Major update; inspired by latest game knights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qGYM62UMjQ