deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What could wizards do next/soon?  (Read 1194 times)

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
What could wizards do next/soon?
« on: September 16, 2019, 04:39:07 pm »
Since Throne of Eldraine (sp?) is Wizards' take on the classic fairy tale, what kind of spoofs do you think they should take on in the future?  I was honestly hoping that this set would be part 1 of 2 with part 2 being their take on the Grimm's fairy tales, but I guess that's not happening.  I've had some other ideas in the past that I think could work: 

Industrial Revolution (that may have been Kaladesh)
Full Sci-Fi (I know some sci-fi elements are already present in Magic, with the multiverse, time travel, A.I., and other pocket technologies, but I'm talking full blown space travel, ray guns, anti-gravity, stuff like that.  I'd be fine with anything on the spectrum from buck rogers to battlestar galactica ((soft to hard sci-fi)))
Low Fantasy/Hero's Journey (Like the Lord of the Rings, where magic itself is known, but uncommon, or costly.  Probably wouldn't work with the mechanics of the game.)
Actual Horror (Innistrad touched on this with monsters, but I'm talking full on Friday the 13th, Hostel, The Ring type stuff.)
Thoughts?
A single victory is all I need.

Blong

• Decks
Re: What could wizards do next/soon?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 07:16:33 pm »
I'd be interested in seeing them do a modern age mixed with magic plane in MTG

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 08:48:50 pm »
It's not horribly original, I must admit, but I'd love to see a Norse mythology-inspired world.

A friend and I were talking Commander pre-cons one night and how the Monarch mechanic is cool, but not used outside of Conspiracy sets, and we thought that Portal Three Kingdom pre-cons with the Monarch mechanic thrown in would be super cool and on theme. It would also permit for needed Three Portal reprints.

Sintorion

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:29:30 pm »
A world without humans with three factions. On a very religious empire, hunting monsters and technology represented by angels and clerics. The second an empire based on advanced magitech and the third group a combination of druids and shamans fighting for freedom and nature.

Not very original, but fun vor all.

Otherwise an indian inspired world. since we have food now, i would like to have some equipment with curry.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 10:28:59 am »
While there is some steampunk and sci-magic I'm not sure a real sci-fi setting would fit.  ???

Since we've got a greek (Theros) and east asia (Kamigava) themed plane, a norse themed would be a nice addition. The indian mythology would also offer some interesting material, even if I don't like the idea of curry on my cards (I prefere to eat it).
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 11:08:07 am »
Knowing full well that it's far too obscure of a historical period to ever be covered in a magic set, I'd love to see some 18th and 19th century whaling depictions in a set.

But like, the whales fight back.

Think the ships of Ixalan fighting Wrexial. A huge white whale mythic rare. Some mechanics that play into the intense longevity of the voyages (some lasted upwards of 3 years) and the toil it had on the crew. Maybe even some stranded / cannibalism stuff too. Harpoons!

Like I say, it's too obscure to ever be feasible, but they already did Amonkhet and this is my favourite period of history otherwise. I'd play the hell out of it, even if it was hot garbage. Make a Pequod commander deck with a Captain Ahab equivalent at the helm.

In terms of realistic stuff, Norse mythology seems like it's only a matter of time and will no doubt be absolutely sick.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 05:44:58 pm »
Return to Innistrad without the Eldrazi. Just full on horror movie theme like the original Innistrad.
This space for rent.

Blong

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 06:36:30 pm »
I feel like if we did return to innistrahd, the phyrexians would arrive there as well. Speaking of which, I want to see more phyrexians soon

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 09:10:38 am »
The phyrexians (specifically old phyrexia, of which I am far more familiar), did add somewhat of a horror element to the story, with their body horror and twisted morality.  So Innistrad invaded by phyrexians could fit in well with the horror theme of the plane.  idk, when I read time streams, the last battle for Tolaria read like zombie apocalypse meets Helm's Deep.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 03:09:46 pm »
Cold War. We would get more vehicles, intel and surceillance cards, strategic locations with secret fortifications (enchant land). Factories, cipher machines (loot/draw/scry). Missiles for red, shield and bastions for white etc.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 12:07:45 pm »
I'm digging it.  Give spying as a theme to a different color combination besides Dimir, like UW.  I think Time Spiral block had a fortification, like equipment for lands.

Have "guilds" for the different groups: Patriots, (dirty) Commies, (dirtier) Hippies, Anarchists, etc

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 05:37:00 pm »
This space for rent.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 06:45:24 pm »
Darksteel Garrison was in Future Sight.
Correct. I was sort of referring to this but not specifically. You could have utility lands that cost mana to play, i.e. can play support and tap for some (defensive) effect.

Guildgate Alliance Headquarters
Enters tapped, return an untapped land you control to your hand.
(T): add (W)(C)
(T), (2)(W)(W): Choose a color. Target creature you control gains protections from that color.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/