deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What are some EDH decks that have actually stuck with you for quite a while?  (Read 1174 times)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
What are some EDH decks that have actually stuck with you for quite a while and still enjoy playing with?

I've had this Merieke deck for a long time and I've always liked the amount of interaction is has. It also makes other people wary and think about their game; they can't just rush to their win condition.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Interesting question man.

I find myself constantly brewing new decks and ideas, but I don't like to spend too much on cards so I tend to take apart old decks for the pieces for new ones. As a result, I have a few decks that have been together for a long while simply because their strategy is so unique that I don't need the cards for other decks. For example, I have a Zur deck built around cycling (Astral Slide, Faith of the Devoted and Drake Haven). No other decks I have care too much about cycling, so all my good Esper cycling cards stay there without any issue.

I still have my first EDH deck, which is headed by The Scarab God. It's certainly not my best deck and it exists in largely the same state that it did when I first built it. I've learnt a lot about building EDH decks since then and could certainly make some improvements, but there's a nostalgia aspect to it that I like. Who doesn't like just casting zombies? It's the deck I tend to pull out when people want to try out new decks. It's powerful enough that it can give a good game, but not so busted that they won't get a taste for their new decks.

I also have a Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle deck that I fondly refer to as the Doomsday Machine. I've stripped it for parts about 4 times but always end up putting it back together. Nothing I do with its parts are ever quite as fun as trying to assemble the doomsday machine.

Other than that, my pet deck that was the first deck I put in a more serious amount of effort and budget was Yahenni, Undying Partisan. That was my absolute favourite for a very long time until very recently. Now it's headed by K'rrik. I took out the voltron sub theme and added some life gain. Not sure I'll ever go back. K'rrik is quite something, especially at the head of mono black good stuff. I can see K'rrik still being with me for years to come.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 11:21:32 pm by CleanBelwas »

Izzet808

• Decks
My Inalla, Archmage Ritualist deck is a deck I don't see myself taking apart ever. It's pretty competitive, consistent, and fun. I also modify it with each set release keeping it fresh e.g. just added Bolas's Citadel, Watcher for Tomorrow, and Tribute Mage.

I also plan on keeping my Zedruu the Greathearted deck, which is more casual. It plays a slower game and I switch between those two decks.

Slyvester12

• Decks
While they've both undergone serious upgrades over the years, I've had my Scion of the Ur-Dragon and Ezuri, Renegade Leader decks for more than a decade now.

The Scion deck has always been a dragon tribal/reanimator/combo hybrid. It's gradually leaned more into the combo aspect, and nowadays it has basically all of the degenerate stuff from Moltensteel Skittles to Curiosity Niv-Mizzet. It's always a ton of fun to play, and I like that I can go for T5 or T6 wins against good decks or just durdle around playing gigantic dragons against precons.

My Ezuri deck has gone from essentially just green goodstuff backed up by elfball to a pretty efficient infinite mana engine that either wins with infinity/infinity elves or by gaining enough life to Aetherflux Reservoir everyone into oblivion. My favorite part is how resilient the deck is. Once you get a few key pieces, it can take a pretty concerted effort to break your engine.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
I tend to keep my decks together once I've built them [I think the only EDH deck I've torn apart since I've been serious about the format is my Geist of St Traft deck] so I have a few that are getting up there in years.

Grimgrin, Corpse-Born deck is primarily a mill deck with zombie tribal beatdown and aristocrats strategies as backups.  I built this one at some point during Innistrad block, right after someone showed me the EDH format.  This is the one deck that I'll spend extra $$ on to foil as it is still my favorite to play.

My Gruul deck is the typical ramp out big beaters ftw.  Its still mostly a beast tribal deck because I wanted to run Contested Cliffs. It started with Ruric Thar, the Unbowed as the commander [still in the deck btw] but changed to Xenagos, God of Revels once I was able to get a copy.  I've slowly been swapping out the beasts for things that work better with the jolly old satyr.  Built this one right along with Grimgrin

Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius started as wizards and dragon tribal that I made for a friend to play but I've kept even after he stopped playing MtG.  I initially tried to keep as many of the older cards that he was familiar with in the deck and no combos, but have since added Azami, Lady of Scrolls/Mind Over Matter/Laboratory Maniac as a win con.  Also part of my first wave of EDH deckbuilding.

Olivia Voldaren is vampire tribal with a curse subtheme because I like the idea of curses, not because they are good.  Also an Innistrad era build.

Boros aggro that started with Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas as the commander but shifted to Aurelia, the Warleader as I got my hands on more of the better angel cards.  Made this one as soon as C15 came out.

Meren of Clan Nel Toth was typical Golgari Goodstuff but I've been expanding on maximizing ETB triggers and stealing opponents' permanents.  This one took a bit longer as I couldn't find the deck for sale and had to wait for singles to appear.

I know I've had my Krenko, Mob Boss and Sliver Overlord decks for awhile but can't remember exactly when I built them.  They are both tribal decks though Krenko has become more combo-centric over time.

So...eight decks that I've had for at least 4 years +, though they may have had some serious changes since first assembled.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
A year is typically the most I keep a deck around.  I get tired of a deck playing out the same way and/or I want some of the cards for another deck idea.

That's what I really like about Commander.  If I change my deck, even if my opponent's are playing decks they have had for years, things will play out very differently.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
I've only been playing EDH for a few years, so my decks don't have the longevity that others have.  however, my budget Horobi has remained largely unchanged since I built him.  really fun to play against newer players, or decks without much for removal.  My Ramos cascade/storm deck has seen quite a lot of changes since I build him, but the deck still plays like originally intended.  I built a dragon deck when I first started playing, tore it apart, then threw it back together when my fiancé wanted a deck to play with me.  it's pretty tough, but easy enough to get a hang of.
A single victory is all I need.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Now that there are some answers I'll elaborate on my choice a little bit:

Merieke Ri Berit is the Holy Grail of rules interactions. It's got weird timing loopholes, complicated or unintuitive logic and all of that gives me a lot of room to play with. People are also afraid of Merieke, which means they need to build a strategy to remove it. Creature heavy decks struggle against it, combo decks leaning on their commander and any deck that plans on having a creature the board is in trouble. Only decks I've seen to beat Merieke by a mile with a creature strategy are (fast) token decks, stuff like Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons or ramp-y elves. Merieke by itself is a check to creatures which means I get to fill the rest of the deck with non-creature counters and checks. I've had lots of fun with it, playing fringe stuff like Sundial of the Infinite as a combo piece.
Doesn't have a single infinity combo that I know of - which very practical considering it has no way of utilizing said power. I had Omniscience in it for a while but then I realised I can't cast anything reasonably good with it. I'd say 5/7 cool rules abuse. Now it only needs some more phasing, Sands of Time, Storage Matrix and other incredibly complicated pieces to play with.

Another deck I have had for periods at a time is Rosheen Meanderer. I fell in love with her unique ability to produce tons of mana. Unfortunately I wasn't very good at deck building so I lost a lot and eventually lost interest in Magic for quite some years. In the meanwhile they released Animar, Soul of Elements, which still continues to be a deck in Tiny Leaders since it can easily get around the CMC<4 restriction by playing lots of X-costed creatures. I've now put Rosheen back together and I hope to play some huge battle cruisers at some point without getting stuck in endless counter magic and stax effects. Both Animar and Rosheen are similar decks but I still refuse to pilot the EDH deck with Animar even though it's a better deck simply because I don't like the way it relies on the commander. Sure it has pro black and white but that's not nearly enough with a meta that bounces creatures (...that hav- had counters on them). Rosheen is a much more robust deck relying much less on the commander to be out.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

vesstan

• Decks
So this is more of a sad story of the loss of my edh deck. I am a really big storm player, and I love to run combos. I dislike the combat step. I originally played the Lyzolda worldgorger combo (This has since evolved into the Anje worldgorger deck). But before anje came C18 and the saheeli precon. But I wasn’t focused on the planeswalker. I wanted tawnos. I had cracked a paradox engine back in revolt. And I was waiting for a deck to play it in. Tawnos was the perfect deck for me because it ran the colour pair I like using for storm, it runs artifacts which are easy to cast colour wise. And there are plenty of cards that become monsters with artifacts. I.e. storm the vault. The other great thing about tawnos was that it allowed for multiple winning combos. I ran a set or retriever cards to pull mindslaver back from the grave And taking all my opponents turns, and taking all the turns with nexus of fate and really busted draw engines. as well as the tawnos paradox engine combo that the deck aimed to win with. Each of these combos were awesome to play and the games were always fun. Anyways I have to go out of province for work. And due to where I was I did not have access to the internet for that time period. I spend a week out for work and come back (I have not checked the internet yet). I go to my lgs and sit down to a game of edh. I go through the normal game doing what I would with the deck. Eventually I get tezzeret, the seeker to 5 loyalty and go to fetch my paradox engine. As soon as the card hits the table everyone looks at me and the card. And continue to notify me of the ban made during the time I had gone away. Thus I lost the game too a all way draw and I have since turned my tawnos into my memories binder. Now I play Feldon and be degenerate once more, and play a lot of oathbreaker with my playgroup.

Marshstepper78

• Decks
Titania, Protector of Argoth dethroned Feldon of the Third Path as my oldest active deck recently.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: What are some EDH decks that have actually stuck with you for quite a while?
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 05:26:34 pm »
My first deck is still with me. Krenko, Mob Boss.

The general theme of the deck has stayed the same, but individual card choices have changed. It was initially a pure aggro deck, but it has somewhat moved away from that, and is more of a combo deck. The aggro wins are faster than they were at the start, and the combos don't have any dead cards. It is deck I'm very proud of.

The other one that I've had for some time now is The Scarab God. It started off as Gisa and Geralf zombie tribal, but that changed with the release of Hour of Devastation. Zombie tribal is still an aspect, but the deck is much more responsive. I almost always have one activation of The Scarab God ready to go, so I can respond to threats. The amount of crazy situations I've gotten myself out of with that deck is unreal.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: What are some EDH decks that have actually stuck with you for quite a while?
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 05:58:34 pm »
My second deck, Skullbriar, the Walking Grave, is still played though it's focus has changed to 1v1 from multiplayer.

My Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck has been around since Sidisi was spoiled. And I've had my Sliver deck for a very long time, since M13 or so I believe.
This space for rent.