English-language Forums > Commander Discussion

Commander Powertable

<< < (11/11)

CleanBelwas:

--- Quote from: Judaspriester on November 14, 2019, 02:44:09 pm ---I agree with you that not every deck has the gameplan to get the commander out asap, but the speed you're able to do this is a good indicator for many decks in terms of speed and colorfixing. Even if you don't want to play your cmc 6 commander on turn 4, if your deck regulary allows you to do this it's still an indicator for how good is  your deck in collecting ressources.

--- End quote ---

Yea that's probably pretty reasonable actually. What turn could you rather than what turn do you will denote an amount of the fixing and ramp options your deck has, which definitely contributes to it's overall power.

Plus it's probably not unreasonable to assume that, generally speaking, commanders with high and awkward casting costs aren't ever going to be the most powerful. I had a Progenitus deck that could consistently get him out around turn 5 or 6, but against super powerful decks I'd already be dead. Powerful as he is on the field, Progenitus will likely never be a top tier commander.

dexflux:

--- Quote from: CleanBelwas on November 14, 2019, 01:16:22 pm ---TL;DR

1) There is an argument that cEDH and EDH decks can and should be assessed, ranked and scored with different systems.
2) Being able to make scores contextually relevant to the deck so that it's score is based on areas that the deck wants to prioritise and focus on is still a fairly major hurdle as there are too many edge cases that undermine regular questions.

--- End quote ---

The entire notion of ranking decks assumes maximum competitiveness as a ceiling, therefore a "regular" EDH deck would simply be an average or bad deck in terms of powerlevel. Hence, there is no need to differentiate between EDH and cEDH - cEDH is to EDH what Modern tournaments are to Kitchen Table Magic with the Modern cardpool and banlist. Ultimately the same format with different levels of competitiveness - the thing we want to measure.

Edit: I think it's safe to assume that the slugfest that is the common EDH game is not played at a high powerlevel. And it's fun. We just have to embrace that we can't rank some jank as an above average deck when the ceiling is TnT, Flash Hulk and company.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version