deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Grisly Re-Storrev-tion  (Read 828 times)

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
Grisly Re-Storrev-tion
« on: October 12, 2019, 04:48:12 pm »
Grisly Re-Storrev-tion

Pulled a Storrev the other day and decided to see what I could do with her. The idea behind this shell is as simple as it can be: fill up our graveyard, then use Storrev to get back any of the utility we need. The ability to recur Planeswalkers is particularly nice, and part of the reason that Garruk, Primal Hunter and Vraska the Unseen are better here than in most decks.

Deck is a lot of fun, and any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Grisly Re-Storrev-tion
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 06:29:34 pm »
Hey man,

This seems sweet. Exactly the kind of deck I like to play and just what I'd have done.

Have you considered Thrashing Brontodon? His cheaper activation cost and bigger body could make him preferential to the caterpillar or zealot (probably the zealot as it's the same total cost to play and activate but just a bigger body). In my experience I'd rather a slightly more expensive, bigger creature with the cheaper activation as on future turns I don't need to leave as much mana up so I'm hampering myself less.

Just an idea. Like I say, cool deck. Seems like my kind of fun.

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 06:33:15 pm »
Truth be told, I'd actually totally forgotten about Brontodon, but it's a perfect fit for the deck! Will definitely find a spot for it, probably just replacing Zealot. And thanks for the comment, glad somebody else appreciates Walue xD

ComingUpCway84

• Decks

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 07:22:56 pm »

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 02:13:15 pm »
Couple of quick updates to the deck in the past while. Added in a Liliana, Death's Majesty because it's one of my favourite Planeswalkers ever and does literally everything our deck could possibly want. Also swapped out Varolz (another pet card, but one that's pretty anti-synergistic) for Agent of Erebos as a great repeatable answer to opposing graveyard decks.

Revision 9

Added/removed cards:
-1 Varolz, the Scar-Striped
+1 Agent of Erebos

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 02:46:02 pm »
More updates! Slotted in Nissa, Vital Force as a way to get value from our new Loam package, as well as to recur Nev's Disk and Pernicious Deed, which has been shown to be pretty important. We also finally added in some synergistic ways to deal with problem lands, because I'm sick of losing to Golos and Field of the Dead. Replaced Grim Flayer (a great card but an expensive one that needs to connect to be really useful) for Acidic Slime as an all round utility removal spell that should have been in here since Day 1; and replaced a couple basics with Tectonic Edge, Ghost Quarter and Field of Ruin just to make sure we have maximum chance of staying in the game against degenerate lands.

Revision 11

Added/removed cards:
-1 Grim Flayer
+1 Acidic Slime
+1 Field of Ruin
+1 Ghost Quarter
+1 Tectonic Edge

Changed amounts:
-2 Forest
-1 Swamp

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 12:05:24 am »
First few updates from the new set! Erebos and Woe Strider slot right in here over Ayara (good, but somewhat limited) and Viscera Seer (cheaper but not as utility heavy) respectively, while Syr Konrad has been very underwhelming and is being replaced by a Cavalier of Night I pulled the other day. Card is serious gas, acting as a sac outlet, removal spell and recursion all in one.

Revision 12

Added/removed cards:
-1 Ayara, First of Locthwain
-1 Syr Konrad, the Grim
-1 Viscera Seer
+1 Cavalier of Night
+1 Erebos, Bleak-Hearted
+1 Woe Strider

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 02:27:19 pm »

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 02:29:31 am »
A few quality of life updates to the deck, wanted to include some new M21 cards and throw in some old cards- like Krav and Ugin- that I've made excuses not to include in the past when in reality they're too good to pass up!

Revision 17

Added/removed cards:
-1 Gravebreaker Lamia
-1 Merciless Executioner
-1 Polukranos, Unchained
-1 Wall of Blossoms
+1 Corpse Connoisseur
+1 Krav, the Unredeemed
+1 Liliana, Waker of the Dead
+1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 03:52:37 pm »
I'm not sure how I'd change it without really digging too deep into the deck, but almost 1/4th of your deck is 5 CMC or more, that's an awful big chunk of  your deck to be that costly.
This space for rent.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 07:13:19 pm »
Just organize your deck by CMC, make some hard decisions about which to keep and which to replace for cheaper cards. I would suggest getting your average CMC under 3.25, or at least under 3.5. For example, you run 8 Planeswalkers that are 5 CMC or above. I understand that Storrev is good at getting planeswalkers that have been killed, but they're so expensive that your turn will likely consist of attacking with Storrev, getting back a walker, and playing & activating that walker. Once you have 2 or more, it gets clunky as its unlikely you will be recurring more than one at a time. I would suggest cutting half of them.

You could include more tutors, like Buried Alive and Entomb to increase consistency while still being cheap.

More self-mill also gives you more options when you are recurring stuff: Nyx Weaver, Grisly Salvage, Grapple with the Past, and Perpetual Timepiece are all solid for a low price.

Flexible removal like Beast Within, Assassin's Trophy, Abrupt Decay, and Nature's Claim could replace slightly more expensive & less consistent cards like Liliana, Waker of the Dead & Garruk Relentless // Garruk, the Veil-Cursed.

Card draw like Night's Whisper, Read the Bones, and Sign in Blood do a fantastic job of increasing consistency (find lands, important pieces, etc.) while lowering the CMC of your deck. I think including some of these are especially important as your card advantage section is a little lacking (I like 10 pieces of card advantage as a baseline, but your commander provides some and Eternal Witness effects also provide some, so 8 would be fine to me).

Other than a high average CMC & a slightly underwhelming amount of card draw & removal, your deck looks pretty cool! Good amount of ramp & lands and you have a good idea of what your deck wants to do,

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 07:41:52 pm »
Appreciate the feedback on both fronts, thank you! I've been playing it for about a year now though, and I've actually found the deck to be working fine. My playgroup is fairly casual so I usually have the time to get ramp going early, and while I've definitely run into some clunky draws at times due to the high overall CMC of the deck, from a general standpoint it's happened far too inconsistently to be really frustrating.

With regards to specific cards you suggested, some (like Nyx Weaver) I've run in the deck in the past and moved away from; not that they're bad, just due to my own personal preferences. Additionally, one of the restrictions I imposed on myself from day 1 with the deck was that I wanted it to feel as self synergistic as possible and work as well with Storrev specifically as they could. As such, I have only a handful of artefacts and Enchantments in the deck (chosen out of necessity primarily) and a single sorcery that recurs itself and again, is just too good to pass up. I've tried things like Grapple and Grisly Salvage before and I was never as high on them as I'd like. That's also the reason that my card advantage is more unorthodox than just running black or green draw spells, and my removal suite doesn't contain usual shoeins like Beast Within or Assassin's Trophy.

Ultimately, while I can 100% understand it looking clunky and inconsistent in theory, the deck has felt anything but in motion. I could definitely shift things up a bit to make it more competitive, but as a passion project that's more a way for me to play with some of my favourite cards and durdle my way to a win it does the job perfectly. Again though, really appreciate the suggestions and they're totally valid!