deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: EDH Mono RED Goblin Deck and I was looking for mana rocks  (Read 1196 times)

Caveman Clay

• Patron
  • Decks
EDH Mono RED Goblin Deck and I was looking for mana rocks
« on: October 22, 2019, 01:49:30 pm »
I'm running a mono-red Goblin deck and I ran across these two cards,  Gauntlet of Might and Gauntlet of Power.  Are they good enough for mono-red goblin edh deck?   
Est. MTG player 2018.
Goblins collecting 505

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: EDH Mono RED Goblin Deck and I was looking for mana rocks
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 02:10:14 pm »
Hey man.

They are certainly good enough, but it would depend on what your strategy is and what your meta is like as to whether or not they are the best options.

I assume from your title that the part you are most after is the double mana rather than the creature buff. Is that correct?

It is worth noting that the effects on these cards is symmetrical, meaning it will also effect your opponents (in this case) red sources. If you find that you are the only one who is running red in any serious amount, then they are probably fine, but be wary that you could end up giving your opponents more advantage / benefit than you are getting yourself.

Also, there are a couple of other cards that do similar things just to put them on your radar: Extraplanar Lens and Mana Flare.

Gauntlet of Might is seriously expensive, so that may or may not have an impact on whether or not you wanted to include it.

Caged Sun would likely be a better option than Gauntlet of Power. It's basically the same but it only effects your creatures and lands. It has a slightly higher cmc of 6 compared the the gauntlets 5, but personally I feel that that is a small price to pay for the effect being asymmetrical.

As well as that, if it's ramp you're after, generally mono colour decks fair well from just using mana rocks. There are a lot of efficient mana rocks that tap for multiple colourless mana such as Sol Ring, Worn Powerstone, Thran Dynamo etc. Mono coloured decks can often take full advantage of these as they are less bothered by producing coloured mana from their ramp as their lands will generally cover all the coloured requirements for their spells.

Additionally, mono red has a half decent package of one off, explosive ramp options such as desperate ritual, mana geyser, brass's bounty etc. Depending on what your strategy is, these could be of some use to you too.

Hope this helps!

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 02:13:19 pm »
The symetry of Extraplanar Lens can be somewhat broken by using snow-covered lands. At least as long as the playgroup hasn't replaced all their basics with snow ones.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 02:14:46 pm »
I'm running a mono-red Goblin deck and I ran across these two cards,  Gauntlet of Might and Gauntlet of Power.  Are they good enough for mono-red goblin edh deck?

They definitely are good enough but one is way way more expensive(monetary value) wise then the other.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Caveman Clay

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 05:37:06 pm »
Yes, this helps a lot.
trying to get to run a little faster,  playing 2 -3 spells a turn. I also added more lands to help up to 35 now, was at 28.  and my group plays a lot of artifact removals. 
Est. MTG player 2018.
Goblins collecting 505

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 07:56:47 pm »
If you're looking for non-artifact mana ramp in red ...

There's Seething Song, and I think there are a couple other "ritual" type spells for red.
Chandra, Torch of Defiance
Curse of Opulence
Generator Servant
Neheb, the Eternal
The new Dockside Extortionist is great for mono red.  Yes, treasures are artifacts.  But they're generally not targeted for removal since each is a one-shot effect.
speaking of ... Lotus Petal and Lotus Bloom are also good for the same reasons.
If you've got things to spend mana on during your upkeep, Braid of Fire is great mana.

Hope this helps
Happy Brewing!
:)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 11:36:05 pm »
Caged Sun is another option. It only effects your creatures and lands whereas the Gauntlets also effect your opponents.
This space for rent.

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 10:24:51 am »
I use Heart of Ramos in every red deck I play, unassuming but the ability can be seriously handy in a pinch!

Caveman Clay

• Patron
  • Decks
Est. MTG player 2018.
Goblins collecting 505

Caveman Clay

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 03:44:37 pm »
Mono-Red Won!  6 player game.  Blue payer cleared the board of  Everything (nonland) back to hand.   round 7 board cleared.   Drawed for the turn, Played a land
played mana geyser.  replyed everything in hand and commander  + 3 for all goblins and haste last card to drop  Empty the Warrens (8 on the storm) tapped krenko, Mob Boss. and that was that.  1 for mono-red.

I would like to thank everyone for their help! you guys rock!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 04:13:22 am by Caveman Clay »
Est. MTG player 2018.
Goblins collecting 505

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 04:32:11 pm »
Mono-Red Won!  6 player game.  Blue payer cleared the board of  Everything (nonland) back to hand.   round 7 board cleared.   Drawed for the turn, Played a land
played mana geyser.  replyed everything in hand and commander  + 3 for all goblins and haste last card to drop  Empty the Warrens (8 on the storm) tapped krenko, Mob Boss. and that was that.  1 for mono-red.

I would like to thank everyone for there help! you guys rock!

Nice work man. Sounds like mono red heaven. Glad it worked out for you. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Caveman Clay

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 02:59:48 pm »
Last night I added Torbran, Thane of Red Fell to my Goblin deck, (6 player game) 36 damage to target player and entering combat with 270 points of combat damage   /4 players.  dam!!!, I love my Goblins    In fairness, I lost 3 games also.  ;D

My mono-red mana package is completed.  (I owned  or could afford)  Mind stone, Prismatic lens, Sol Ring, Fellwar Stone, Commander's Sphere, Thought Vessel, Arcane Signet, Fire Diamond.

I'm running additional  helpers
Goblins   Mana Geyser, Mana Echoes, Iron Myr, Gauntlet of Power, Caged Sun.
Torbran   Mana Geyser.   

Any suggestion always wanted and needed Thanks again for the help.

Est. MTG player 2018.
Goblins collecting 505

brianmpenn

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 09:08:02 pm »
Ah, see there; Torbran, Thane of the Red Fell opens up a whole new realm of fun. 

Things like:
Curse of Bloodletting (Targeted)
Bitter Feud (2 for 1)
Dictate of the Twin Gods (be careful with this one)
Gratuitous Violence (All for one)

And those are just my favorites....

Caveman Clay

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 01:44:04 am »
Adding Curse of Bloodletting to the ping deck,  and Gratuitous Violence to group hug.

Thanks
Est. MTG player 2018.
Goblins collecting 505