deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: I want opinions on a card concept I came up with  (Read 827 times)

Varatius

• Decks
I want opinions on a card concept I came up with
« on: October 26, 2019, 04:41:55 pm »
1ub
Planeswalker
+1 look at the top six cards of target players library then you may exile 1 then put them back in any order
+2 create a 1/1 flying faerie token that has the ability if this blocks destroy and prevent all damage from the creature it blocks
-6 get an emblem that says the next time an opponent cast three spells this turn exile the top card x cards of that players library where x is the cmc of the third spell cast then lose this emblem
2 loyalty

zacem

• Decks
Re: I want opinions on a card concept I came up with
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 07:36:26 pm »
The +1 is broken. It will let you completely control what your opponent draws, meaning they will never get a relevant card. Being able to do this at turn 3 is way too good mabey make the card cost more or put this ability as an - ability. The +2 seems alright, a planeswalker being able to defend itself is normally pretty good. The emblem is rather underwhelming. I can easily avoid it or just cast something super small for my third spell. That combined with it being a one time effect, and hard to reach, I would rather just keep +1ing this card. Those are my thoughts anyway.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 07:57:15 pm »
I was just getting ready to post my feedback for you.  @zacem had posted while I was typing.  Strangely, it is almost exactly what I was going to say.  So now I am going to give you some additional thoughts.

The <+1> basically reads as "target player will never draw a playable card this game".  Way too powerful.  This should be the ultimate.  Maybe at a <-5>.

The <+2> is outside of the color pie.  The "prevent all damage from the creature it blocks" is typically a green ability.  I would just go with flying & deathtouch.  For that, though, the ability should probably just be <+1>.  For a <+2> ability, just a flying creature without deathtouch.

The <-6> looks irrelevant in most formats.  Are you making this card for use in Commander?  To try to shut down infinite combos?  I do like the mechanic of the single-use emblem.

You should definitely rework the ability suite on this planeswalker.  If you go with a non-emblem ultimate, (or the single-use emblem), I would make all the emblem abilities odd numbers and the starting loyalty even (or vice-versa) so that the planeswalker does not have to kill itself to ultimate (assuming it never takes damage.)

Happy Brewing!
:)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 08:41:23 pm »
+1 should really be an ultimate or at the very least a negative ability.

The ultimate is not really useful and for it to be a single use ability it's really not worth using.

If this was a real card I'd just constantly use the +1 on whomever I felt my biggest threat at the table was each turn.
This space for rent.

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 10:29:01 pm »
I was toying with the thought of a one time use ult that the opponent could play around while having a useful ability that can get it there in a flexible way the +1 you can use it on yourself to get to your combo faster or use it politically in a multiplayer format and the +2 was a flavor thing as I was thinking about the lore of the card being like a faerie illusion type walker this was not designed with standard in mind but possibly modern if balanced and was hoping people would help me balance the +1 even thought of making it specifically only you if it were to be standard legal

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 11:57:18 am »
Hi,
As everyone already pointed out, the +1 ability is too powerful (think about Jace, the Mind Sculptor's +2 ability).
An Index-like version (which, if I understand correctly, is what you were ultimately looking for) would be more balanced:
+1: Look at the top five cards of your library, then put them back in any order.
The second ability is quite wordy, but essentially says:
+2: Create a 1/1 Faerie creature token with flying, deathtouch and indestructible.
This is again too powerful (compare with Baleful Strix, which is a Legacy staple).
Apart from that, the problem is that once you activate it the first time, you'll essentially have a catch-all blocker for the rest of the game, so you're not interested in activating it again.
That's a bad design because reduces in-game choices.
Moreover, you forgot to specify the token's color (it could be either blue or blue-black, for instance).
I think something like this would still be quite good:
+1: Create a 1/1 blue Faerie creature token with flying.
The third ability is plain weak.
Mill is inherently lame by itself, and it's unlikely that your opponent will ever cast three spells in a row.
And even if he does, they're likely to be low cc spells, so you won't mill him for more than 2-3 cards.
Also, you destroy the emblem afterwards, that's pretty awful.
Why not something like this?
-6: You get an emblem with "Whenever an opponent casts a spell, exile the top card of their library."
Finally, 2 loyalty is too low, your planeswalker dies to a mere Shock.
I'd rather give him 4 loyalty, so that you could plus him twice and then already be able to ultimate him.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 07:42:33 am »
Perhaps instead of making the plus 1 an ultimate like others have suggested, because I think it is underwhelming as an ultimate, make it a minus 2 so that it can't be done EVERY. SINGLE. TURN. And the ultimate kind of sucks, but that's because most plansewalker say -x: win the game as their ultimate, which was fine when powerful walkers and powerful walker synergistic cards were few and far between, but now they are a bit problematic, but I digress. What if the ultimate was something like mill each opponent until they have milled 10 (number can be adjusted) cmc worth of cards and then for each opponent, cast a card milled this way. It kind of fits the dimir theme of milling and also stealing their cards. Looking at you Blatant Thievery, Bribery, Expropriate, Nicol Bolas, the Arisen, Beacon of Immortality and Diluvian Primordial. Oh shoot. I just described my Nicol Bolas deck. Any, that is totally a card I would play. :D
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red