deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Commander Anouncements  (Read 1020 times)

Judaspriester

• Decks
Commander Anouncements
« on: October 30, 2019, 11:06:22 pm »
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/big-things-are-coming-commander-2020-2019-10-30

I'm really not sure I shall be happy or afraid after reading this..

There could be alot of interesting reprints, some of them really necessary.. but on the other hand.. it could also make the format even more expensive as it is right now.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: Commander Anouncements
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 11:21:52 pm »
Wow, that's ... a lot of new stuff. I fear for the power level of Commander but I like the draft idea. Is commander the official flag ship of WotC now? How many new, shiny things are they going to bring to us Commander players? Seriously, that's quite a lot of stuff. Hard to digest all of that at once.

The Legends thing stuck out the most. Seventy new legends? That's a lot of questions without answers. I hope they go soft on the reprints, would hate to lose a lot of value on some cards.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 11:31:39 pm »
I will only quote one thing for now

"3. People Are Learning Through Commander
This is something I never would have anticipated saying a few years ago. But it's true: everything we're seeing shows that a lot of players are actually coming into Magic through Commander. (Or at least picking up Commander very early.)
For a long time, we had considered the format an anathema to new players, full of complex interactions, every single mechanic, and tons of cards to keep track of. I mean, somebody could even cast a card with banding! We have generally tried to point new players to other places."

It then says "Fortunately, despite Commander's complexity, it's actually great for teaching in many respects because it's multiplayer and totally casual. People can help you through the game and provide suggestions, and you don't need to understand everything that's going on to understand the game."

I have personally learned more from Commander then any other format. So many interesting interactions and to see/watch all those interactions as they transpire compared to anything else. Then it is so much fun to drop out a card onto the field and have someone go "what the heck does that do" or "what the heck is that".

LOl enough out of me for now
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 12:50:22 am »
Okay, let me get my predictions out right now.

We were shown two pictures for Commander Collection: Green. The first one is of Yisan, surrounded by scary-looking monsters, and the second picture is a plant-woman-thing that is supposed to look vaguely like Azusa. My prediction is that the first picture will be the art for Tooth and Nail, and the second picture will be the art for Seedborn Muse.

Edit: Scratch that. Chord of Calling makes way more sense.

We were also shown two artworks for Commander Legends. The first is this vampire dude that looks like the love child of Dracula and the genie from Aladdin. The second picture is a red-haired woman wielding a dagger and a metal stick, both of which look super impractical as weapons. I think that the vampire is Baron Sengir, and the woman is Jeska.

I'm really good at describing pictures.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:14:09 am by Morganator 2.0 »

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 02:29:29 am »
I went through the exact same thought process with the Yisan picture. Immediately thought Tooth and Nail before settling on Chord of Calling when I noticed there were three creatures with him.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 03:59:27 am »
Excited to see what they have in store for us but wondering how the hell I'm going to afford all of this stuff.  5 new commander decks coming out at the same time as a new set is going to gouge the wallet.  I'm going to have to start setting aside money now to be able to afford then.

MisterDalek

• Waiting for gary in standard
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 04:34:33 am »
According to Gavin Verhey, the vampire-looking art for Commander Legends is, in fact, Baron Sengir.
I play black decks.

That's about it.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 07:33:20 am »
Yeah Chord of Calling makes the most sense for the Yisan one. I don't know much about orchestra music, but I know on a guitar you play chords, and I assume that can be translated to other string instruments such as that harp thing he is playing, and so he is using his chords to call the creatures.

For the Azusa themed one, I feel like a good guess would be Heartbeat of spring because the thing in the art looks like an omnath, locus of mana combined with the azusa insignia type thing on it's head, or at least I hope that is the head. But I think they said it was a creature, so that would rule out Heartbeat of Spring. Hmm, I didn't really add anything to the conversation here.

BARON SENGIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just hope he isn't mono black, but I also want mono black more than rakdos, orzhov or mardu. I am very interested to see what they do with him.

Jeksa? As in Jeska, Warrior Adept or Phage the Untouchable?????? I've don't know much about her. Someone that knows about lore, is her card one we should be looking forward to? Is she a great character?
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 08:11:57 am »
I am most excited about the Commander Legends set.  Gavin mentioned special rules/process in order to draft it for Commander play.  I am curious to see what they have done with that.
Happy Brewing!
:)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 11:49:17 am »
If the specific rules / processes for drafting commander are good, then that is going to be sick. Drafting commander sounds fun as hell.

70 new legends is definitely exciting as a commander player.

I'm personally hoping to finally get a Davvol so I can build a deck and only play it on my birthday.

Ultimately though, it's like anything of this nature. The announcement has potential, but until we get more detail it's very difficult to say if it will ultimately be good or not.

Quietly optimistic though. More commander is more good, right?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 04:44:56 pm »
Guess I'll be going through and selling the cards I've been debating getting rid of before reprints hit that lower their value.
This space for rent.

Blong

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 05:54:08 pm »
welp
time to get a job lmao

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 12:13:44 am »
This is product overload. I have a hard time believing this is necessary for the format, but seeing how popular Commander is, this must be #supernecessary for WotC's greedy bottom line. The amount of new product coming out is already ridiculously high. Who - whether player or even content creator - can really keep up with the pace they intend on setting next year?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 12:17:49 am by Marshstepper78 »