deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Looking for a fun but not powerful commander  (Read 713 times)

Varatius

• Decks
Looking for a fun but not powerful commander
« on: November 06, 2019, 11:35:05 pm »
I would prefer blue in the color identity but I want to build a comannader that is fun to play and play against.   I now have a bigger playgroup with a majority either new players or new to commander and the og members of my playgroup all agreed we need to scale down our decks for the time being. 

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: Looking for a fun but not powerful commander
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 12:07:54 am »
Dragon tribal with either Scion of the Ur-Dragon or the Ur-Dragon? Both are rainbow and really fun. For mono blue, Patron of the Moon moonfolk tribal / lands can be fun and weird.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 12:12:13 am »
I like The Mimeoplasm.  Put a bunch of clones in the deck and you get to play whatever creatures your opponents put into their decks.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Chiru

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 12:34:14 am »
How about Oloro, Ageless Ascetic?
Blue/white/black lifegain without being overpowered.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 02:06:14 am »
Rayne, Academy Chancellor aura based Voltron and/or wizard tribal.  Should be pretty inexpensive to put together and I'm sure you could do some fun, goofy things with the deck while still giving yourself a chance to win.  Slap an aura on Spellskite and steal away some effects while drawing cards.  Good deck to play all of those Deflection type effects as well.

cwoodman

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 02:36:26 am »
Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker is dirt cheap and lets you play with a lot of otherwise underpowered common black creatures, by returning anything with power 1 or less to the field at end of turn. She could probably be powerful with expensive creature cards and efficient sac outlets, but I've found it's more fun to treat her as a pauper commander and just build in the crap pulls I've gotten from years of boosters.

Rosheen Meanderer is a Gruul commander that pays CCCC on tap for X cost spells and activations only. Nice thing about an X-cost-focused deck is that you can choose exactly how powerful each play is. Having fun on the play? Pay low costs and leave your mana unspent. Wanna win? Tap all your sources and crank out 6 6/6 Oozes with Gelatinous Genesis.

Oketra, The True could be built into a wicked Voltron on account of her indestructibility, but she lends herself to a slow token-army deck even better. Unlike Darien, King of Kjeldor, she doesn't go completely out of control in a few turns, but stays pretty loyal to the whole tokens making white commander concept.

BUT BEST OF ALL

Isamaru, Hound of Konda is the VERY DEFINITION of a fun, underpowered commander. He's the goodest of boys, a 2/2 body for W with no abilities whatsoever. Cast on turn one for immediate, (well-tempered,) advantage. Infinitely more fun to play against than Serra Ascendant, and the theme of the deck is entirely up to you. Heck, you could even try and just make it a deck about Power/Toughness efficiency with other white weenies like Savannah Lions.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 07:10:01 am »
Admiral Beckett Brass?

Why are pirates fun? Because they Arrrrgggghhhh!

I'm not sorry

Edit: Some actual productive information and advice to support this recommendation.

The Admiral will never be an incredibly powerful commander. While her main ability is strong, the prerequisites to trigger it are quite a lot to ask. 3 pirates is a lot of pirates.

The reason I like her for this topic is that the power level of the deck is really easy to adjust according to what you want. If you want more fun than power, just pick everything that has pirate written on it or a pirate in the art. Then you play the whole game talking in the pirate voice and drinking rum and it's a lot of fun. That's what I did. When I play her, I like to wear a hat.

However, there is a suite of accompanying cards that can really make a big difference to the effectiveness of the deck. Things like Sleep and Cosmotronic Wave can do wonders for getting your pirates to connect. You're in black for tutors. You're in blue for counter magic. You're in red for...you know...pirates and stuff. With the inclusion of these kinds of cards you can really increase the power level. It'll still never compete with the best of the best, but it can make a substantial difference.

I think this could be a good fit for your request as scaling the power level up or down for what your play group needs is pretty easy. And if you're anything like me, then messing around with a pirate deck is a good showcase to new players as to how fun this format can be.

Food for thought at least.

Whatever you decide, please let us know. I'd love to hear what fun you come up with.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:24:38 am by CleanBelwas »

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 12:02:07 pm »
Depala, Pilot Exemplar

I know she doesn't have blue but she's a tutor/draw engine for Boros and you get to play tons of spells every turn. White has some interaction even if it's not blue. All in all I'd say it's a lot of fun churning out Dwarves pretending you're in the north of Tamriel before the Red Mountain erupted. And add vehicles.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

shadowslayer029

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 04:06:03 pm »
Jori En,  Ruin Diver is pretty simple and won't draw a lot of hate