deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Best Value Cards for Two Mana in Throne of Eldraine  (Read 468 times)

DelverMage

• Decks
Best Value Cards for Two Mana in Throne of Eldraine
« on: November 10, 2019, 05:47:20 pm »
I retitled this article, as it seems to have evolved into an early game value-town topic, over a more comprehensive breakout of new spells and creatures for the different colors.  Partially because the original effort was large and got too granular.  It bogged down evaluating cards that were only bringing a little value and made it seem like I was calling them out as great cards.  I like the more narrow focus of my more recent posts, and so I am calling out that the cards I discuss bring the most value for your mana, and I have added that word into the title of my post.  Now, on to the subject.

Throne of Eldraine has 64 two mana cards in it.  5 of them are reprints, and decent ones to boot; not just lame-o filler like often happens.  I will be detailing my analysis on 7 cards from the list, with all of them bringing you value more than twice what you invest. A few cards came really close to selection, and get honorable mention in the opening paragraph, like Faerie Vandal, Hushbringer and Wintermoor Commander.  Each of these bearing key abilities that automatically make two mana creatures powerful.  Flash, Deathtouch, Flying, Lifelink in addition to another strong ability puts these 3 in the upper ranks but not quite enough for the official list.

Instants

Drown in the Loch - This card offers two very powerful options in the same card.  Counter target spell, or destroy target creature.  Are you kidding?  This is gross!!  The only catch is, for either option, the CMC of the target needs to be less than or equal to the number of cards in the target owners graveyard.  That is not always easy to pull off early game, but you can certainly make a deck that can support that in current Standard. Think Merfolk Secretkeeper // Venture Deeper or Overwhelmed Apprentice.

Once Upon a Time - This card is named after the first four words of many a tale.  So why not let it be the first spell of your game?  It lets you look at the top 5 cards of your library and select a Creature or Land to put in your hand.  Nice way to start your story of this game, by picking the best creature or land card of your next 5 draws to have for the beginning of your tale.  The best part about Once Upon a Time, is that if you DO make this the very first spell you cast in the game, you get to do it for free!!  As an instant, you can wait until the last possible second to cast it.  Playing lands does not count as they are not spells.  I have gone so far as turn 4 before casting my free Once Upon a Time

Creatures

Charming Prince – Oh so charming, this prince is a play on the format of the traditional Charm spells.  3 options to chose from, and these are good options!  As a 2/2 for 1W the card is already worth it's cost, add in the Charms and this card is winner.  Scry 2 to help your game in case you are not seeing the cards you need.  Gain 3 life, because sometimes 3 life wins games.  Exile one of your creatures, to have them return next end step.  This can save your targeted creatures, or retrigger enter the battlefield abilities.  I am a huge fan of flicker, as exampled in my Blinking Battlements deck.  You will seldom lament drawing the Charming Prince at any stage of the game.

Faerie Guidemother // Gift of the Fae – This is the starting play on going into attack mode with an aggro deck that uses White.  Whether you use Selesnya weenies, Boros Aggro, or some Orzhov creation, an unplanned pumped attacker with flying can hurt.  I especially like this combat trick on creature that have an attack trigger or one upon damaging your opponent.  Follow that up with a 1/1 Flyer for W, and you have a turn 3 play in an aggressive deck using White all in one card.

Piper of the Swarm – It is really unfortunate that this card came into Standard right after the quality rats cycled.  Rat Colony left the format, as well as a few more Rat choices.  There is only one other Rat in the current format, and one other that generates rats, so this card has very little support.  What it does have, is a big bottom for longevity, and the ability to generate it's own Rats.  In addition it gives those Rats Menace.    Lastly, you can sacrifice 3 Rats to steal a creature from your opponent.  That makes Piper of the Swarm, its own engine.  This can play some nice tricks in a deck that always seems to have more important threats.  I suspect it could find a much better home in Pioneer or Modern, at least for a fun synergistic deck.

Vantress Gargoyle – So much value, but it takes a lot of work to get that value out of Vantress Gargoyle.  In the right deck, you can easily make this a 4 of and just pound your opponents to scrap, but I try to consider value in any situation when I score these cards, not so much special scenarios.  Even with penalties for the requirements this card needs to fully perform, it still has tons of value for 1U.  5/4 and Flying is sick for 2 mana, but attacking or blocking require some specific play on your part to reach.  For purposes of attacking, at least the ability to force each player to put the top card from their library to their graveyard, eventually allowing the gargoyle to attack. 

Wildborn Preserver – We have a bear with Flash and Reach.  Nice early game value.  What really brings the Wildborn Preserver into this discussion, it the ability to turn future non-human creature summons' into opportunities to grow your Wildborn Preserver.  This card can get big, fast.  The lack of trample, or ability to protect itself from removal, (a problem that lots of large creatures have) is the only real weakness of Wildborn Preserver.  This card can really support an aggressive monster deck, be it aggro or midrange.  It is an early game card that grows as you advance your turns in the game, making it value at any point in the game.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 02:58:46 pm by DelverMage »