deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Kaalia & Friends  (Read 380 times)

who

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Kaalia & Friends
« on: November 10, 2019, 10:13:42 pm »
Kaalia & Friends

My tried and tested Kaalia of the Vast deck. While it isn't super heavy into Demons, it has answers, counters, and different play-styles incorporated into it, making it a more versatile deck than other Kaalia ones out there. Feel free to let me know what you think of it, and ways to improve it!

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Kaalia & Friends
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 12:09:10 am »
I would consider subbing out Mana Tithe for either Lapse of Certainty or Rebuff the Wicked, since they seem much more likely to counter something you want to stop. They might not prevent combo set ups, but I find it's pretty rare that someone completely taps without some kind of backup plan.

Also, I think Merciless Eviction is a better wipe than Planar Cleansing. Same cmc, but much more lenient on colors, not to mention it exiles, so it's much harder for the opponents to just recur their boards.

Another card you could consider running for artifact "removal" would be Hellkite Tyrant. It rarely wins you the game, but even stealing a Sol Ring or another rock makes it a fantastic creature, considering it's still a 6/5 flying dragon with trample.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 02:28:38 pm »
First of all, my common mantra about the landbase: "if it always enters tapped, it needs to have a significant effect". Since you're not playing no-budget, you can make some improvements here in order to speed up the deck.

Then, some details:
Invoke the Divine could be replaced with Forsake the Worldly. exile is more interesting than 4 life.

What about Silence in stead of Mana Tithe? At least if you fear interruptions, this could be the more interesting option, since they have to do something at the moment you play silence, in stead of the moment, you kick off your win combo.

I would also reccomend about replacing Mana Geode, Manalith and Firemind Vessel with the 3 possible talismans or signets (depending on which of them you like more). This would help with speed and consistency.

Then think about your planeswalkers and their role in your gameplan. For example Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted is a very expensive and slow removal.

What the deck is also lacking, is some protection for Kaalia. At least at my playgroup you would run in real trouble since you would end up paying 10 mana for kaalia kinda fast. Swiftfoot Boots, Lightning Greaves, Darksteel Plate and Whispersilk Cloak would be the obvious options here.

About your threats, take a closer look at them too. For example Feaster of Fools. Why are you playing him (except the fact he's a demon)? He seems like a kinda bad choice.

As a conclusion (no offense here), it seems like you've managed to get hands on some expensive cards that you've put into the deck, and then filled up with junk. Unless you already own all the expensive cards, I would strongly reccomend to think about get hands on some "midrange" cards in stead of them. Check and Battle lands would be a good start here.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

who

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 01:45:25 am »
Did finally add Silence and Forsake the Worldly. Deck is now between a 8-9 on the power scale according to my play-group.

Revision 3

Added/removed cards:
-1 Invoke the Divine
-1 Mana Tithe
+1 Forsake the Worldly
+1 Silence