deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Lord Windgrace - V2 - Stax - Comments  (Read 454 times)

Comment Bot

Lord Windgrace - V2 - Stax - Comments
« on: November 12, 2019, 10:08:12 pm »
Lord Windgrace - V2 - Stax

This topic has been created automatically to discuss this deck.
Dieses Thema wurde automatisch erstellt, um dieses Deck zu diskutieren.

Renesktun

• Decks
Re: Lord Windgrace - V2 - Stax - Comments
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 10:18:01 pm »

Revision 3

Added/removed cards:
-1 Nissa, Vital Force

Renesktun

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 11:28:03 pm »

Renesktun

• Decks

Renesktun

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 02:36:52 am »

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 12:07:34 pm »
Hmm.. I've noticed alot of interesting cards, but I somehow missed the Stax theme.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Renesktun

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 04:55:11 pm »
Hmm.. I've noticed alot of interesting cards, but I somehow missed the Stax theme.
So, what I am going for here is to achieve the following gameplan:
1) Get more lands than everyone else.
 To achieve this (in general), we want to get Lord Windgrace out by turn 4 and get 2 lands in the yard so that he can activate - ability and get to 7ish lands.
2) Wildfire / Death Cloud / Smallpox and/or Null Rod to shut off artifacts.

Optionally, do#2 above with Windgrace in play, because he is unaffected by Death Cloud or Wildfire.

It aims to create an asymetrical board state with your lands, then have everyone sac lands to take advantage of that board state. In parallel, you kill several creatures, which mitigates (somewhat) creature mana and gaea's cradle mana. With Death Cloud, we can USUALLY sac less creatures than everyone else, since we probably won't have as many. For example, if you hit 7 lands, you can deathcloud for 4 which sacs 4 creatures and 4 lands and most people would discard their hands, which gives Genesis a time to shine - EX, slowly getting back Wood Elves or land fetch creatures becomes pretty relevant.

I think, due to the highish curve, I should probably play trinisphere.

It's still in the formative stages. So, for instance, I am considering Wayward Swordtooth and Mina and Denn - whether their additional land drops is even worth the fact that they are a creature which would be sac'd to Death Cloud.

Hilarious hard lock with Burgeoning + Crucible of Worlds + Strip Mine + Null Rod + Trinisphere after people are on low lands. Soft locks with burgeoning + strip + crucible.

I'm also considering Cursed Totem (to turn off creature mana abilities) and Night of Souls Betrayal (to kill all x/1s and not allow any more to be played)

Tries to be a little more proactive than stax decks that have no win conditions. Wants to win with landfall... field of the dead.. omnath, titiana, ob nixis, ect with scapeshift and/or splendid reclamation.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:05:41 pm by Renesktun »

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 05:48:11 pm »
The point for me is, that there is a little less amount of stax pieces, in order to call this a stax themed deck. some additional cards, like Trinisphere or Cursed Totem would help.

btw, By Force could also replaced with vandalblast.

Speaking about stax cards.. cards like Pestilence could also help, all important creatures in your deck have at least power 3. And depending on the board state, you could go even higher without getting forced to sacrifice Pestilence.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Renesktun

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 04:23:06 pm »

Renesktun

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 04:32:01 pm »
The point for me is, that there is a little less amount of stax pieces, in order to call this a stax themed deck. some additional cards, like Trinisphere or Cursed Totem would help.

btw, By Force could also replaced with vandalblast.

Speaking about stax cards.. cards like Pestilence could also help, all important creatures in your deck have at least power 3. And depending on the board state, you could go even higher without getting forced to sacrifice Pestilence.

Valid points - I had an existing deck and I was modifying it from a more casually oriented build (not to say that this deck is yet competitive) and I made the deck public to get suggestions from EDHRec (deck is still in progress). Was trying to tweak it little by little. I like the pestilence idea. I don't hate cursed totem. I am trying to figure out what the right mix of stax vs other cards is.

Ultimately, I want the deck to be focused around the plan I outlined before - sacing lands and forcing the opponents to be sad and not have lands. But I do see that I need to worry about dorks and artifacts as well. In the most recent revision, I took out By Force and I am experimenting with Subterranean Tremors because in the best case I could wipe dorks and artifacts. It could also just wipe dorks. Put in the aforementioned Trinisphere because it really never hurts me with the CMC of my deck being so high. Stranglehold to turn off tutors and fetches for my opponents. Will be checking in on that one because it might be at an awkward spot with my ramp the way that it is. My ramp was put in with the thought that I need to ramp to turn 5, so I can play 3CMC ramp. Skipping turn 3 and going to turn 4 by using Farseek/Rampant Growth is less effective in this deck because I'm trying to get to that magic 5 slot to recur lands with Lord Windgrace

Renesktun

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 07:37:30 pm »

Renesktun

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 07:38:52 pm »

Revision 12

Added/removed cards:
-1 Ruination
+1 Lotus Cobra