deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Need Help with Tajic, Legion's Edge  (Read 2668 times)

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
[EDH / Commander] Need Help with Tajic, Legion's Edge
« on: November 19, 2019, 02:48:08 pm »
Need Help with Tajic, Legion's Edge

We are having another commander league. So the main stipulation is that I can't have a card cost more then $1.00 dollar. So I dug into my collection and threw a bunch of cards together. I know the Boros was the worst to pick from our choice of commanders but I love agro. So I put in some Battlecry, Bolster and some more Mentor creatures so they can continually buff each other. I do need to make cuts, improve my ramp and even card draw. The avg cmc is 2.75 with only 28 lands so again cuts are going to be made. We aren't starting till January anyway so I have plenty of time to work on the kinks. If you think a card can be used then suggest away, just suggest what you think could be cut for it. So any and all suggestions and help will definitely be appreciated.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Judaspriester

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Need Help with Tajic, Legion's Edge
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 03:20:05 pm »
Hey,

since I know nothing about the us prices, I'll mainly focus on the cuts.

Bygone Bishop seems to be in the wrong section. with clue tokens he helps with card draw, not with ramp. ;)

What might fit into the budget for the ramp section is Talisman of Conviction, Boros Signet, and Boros Locket. One of these could replace Pillar of Origins. Since you're not playing strict tribal, the Pillar isn't the best choice.

Sunset Pyramid seems like a kinda expensive card draw, especially since he draws you only 3 cards.  Loreseeker's Stone may be an alternative. It's more expensive to play, but more cost efficient for card draw, especially if you tend to run out of cards.

For the creatures, I would think again about the following:
Everdawn Champion - the effect is rendundant with your commander, besides that, I only really like him in commander if you want to abuse him with cards like Pariah.
Precinct Captain - he seems fine, but the problem is, that he needs to make combat damage, that'ts a big minus for me here.
Relentless Raptor - he's okay, but you'll need some more slots for mana, so I would reccomend to cut him
Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle - I haven't counted, but if you want to play this card, make sure, that you'll have enough stuff to proc it.

Btw, for the removal section, what about Revoke Existence or Disenchant? both are useful and should be within the budget range.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 03:34:41 pm »
Hey man,

A few ideas I think could work in an aggressive Boros deck and be within budget.

Sky Terror. Multiple highly evasive keywords means it's likely to get through a lot.
Ride Down. Great for keeping momentum in aggressive decks. Your opponent feels like they're stabilising with their blockers and this sets them right back.
Whitemane Lion. A great white card in any budget white deck. Excellent surprise protection for you key creatures or it can allow you to go incredibly wide with Oketra's monument. Just before your turn starts, you just pump all your white mana into tokens turn after turn after turn, and W for a 1/1 at instant speed isn't the worst.

As for what to remove, I'm inclined to agree with Judaspriester. All of his suggestions make sense within the context of this deck. They're good cards, but not necessarily the right fit in this deck.

Good luck with the deck. Hope it goes well for you man.

Strictly_Dueling

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 03:40:31 pm »
If you want to work with the +1/+1 counter idea, maybe consider dragonscale general instead of the other one you have, as he bolsters for a lot more.
"Yarok grieves within the waste
Of Bala Ged's corrupted land.

Yarok's waters rush and rage
Where armies bled into the sand.

Yarok's nightmares lurk and wait
Where dark despair is near at hand.

Grief and rage and nightmares fade
Where hope and comfort make their stand."
-Lament for Bala Ged

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 05:10:45 pm »
Is this the same as the last commander league you were in? The one where they change to rules every week?

Because even from my standpoint that was annoying.

vesstan

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 08:03:32 pm »
honestly I love running the boros token generators.
Outlaw's Merriment, and Assemble the legion
they can withstand a creature board wipe, and provides late game power. as well as pulling removal away from your more important permanents

Another Idea is adding the enchantment Indestructable and Pariah to combo and soft lock with the true fire captain.
its something that I don't believe many will expect from a boros deck.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 12:44:14 am »
With prices varying from site to site, which standard are you using to determine if you're under $1 for that card?  IE: Just clicking on the link in your list to Oketra's Monument is showing a price of $1.29 on one site but only 0.86 on another.  A little hard to make some suggestions when the price is close and I don't think a bunch of dime suggestions are going to do much to tune the deck.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 01:09:31 am »
Thanks Guys on some great ideas. I'll address Morgantor first :) Yes our previous wasn't exactly well thought out but hey it was the 1st time something like that was put together. So spending $5.00 on a league wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Now to address that it every card must cost $1.00 or less per US market price on TCG. So for starters that is what I have.

My Main idea is to keep an army while buffing the army. So in order I have the commander
Tajic, Legion's Edge
Then the army buffers
Signal Pest (will get buffed by Tajic while buffing Tajic)
Boros Challenger(does what tajic does with same buff)
Consul's Lieutenant(buffs entire team but has the drawback of getting the renown to do it)
Goblin Wardriver (same as Signal Pest)
Honored Crop-Captain (again buffing the entire team)
Sunhome Stalwart(does what tajic does what same buff)
Dromoka Captain(does almost what tajic does but bolsters instead)
Truefire Captain(does what tajic does but 2nd ability makes him hard to block)
Syr Alin, the Lion's Claw(again pumps up the team)
War Horn (just a simple buff)
Mace of the Valiant(instant buff to 1 single creature and with all the creatures entering the battlefield it is going to get pretty big)
Veteran's Armaments (since I am trying to constantly attack anyway and with the amount of soldiers coming onto the field helps buff any of them)
Gleam of Authority (with counters going here and there why not have another buff)
Street Riot(My creatures get +1 and Trample , sign me up)
Berserkers' Onslaught(with all the buffing going on why not have double strike as well)

Making a team or 1/1's as well
Oketra's Monument(cast a creature and get a 1/1)
Haazda Marshal(attacks with creatures and gains a 1/1 attacking)
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider(Granted Kari is a 1 power creature but gains the buffs and maybe the monkey as well. Granted not a 1/1 but a 2/1 also does the trick)
Loyal Apprentice(drops out a 1/1 long as I control tajic)
Precinct Captain(needs to do damage to gain a 1/1 so while he has 1st strike I am having to agree with judas because I am sure he just won't do enough)
Skyknight Vanguard (puts out a 1/1 with an attack, going to work very well with Haazda Marshal)
Tilonalli's Summoner(sure to hit ascend easily so paying into X 1/1 elementals shouldn't be an issue)
Hanweir Garrison (more 1/1's on an attack, easily work with Skynight and Haazda)
Leonin Warleader( more 1/1's on attack and also works with the others)
Captain's Claws(easy equip to get another 1/1)

So that is 15 ways to buff with 10 ways to get out 1/1's or a 2/1 in Zari's case. Not sure though if it balances it out correctly in either direction.

That is the main idea for starters but I will update some more later. However as another removal I plan on putting in is chain reaction(works with tajic's other ability and with the 1/1's I am making will make that boardwipe abusable.

MagicMarty

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 03:36:05 pm »
Hey Robort, Seems like you have alot going on with Tokens and + counters. Also id like to suggest the other half of Hanweir Garrison, Hanweir battlements since you are running it anyway for Hanweir The Writhing Township. Not only is this another creature, the landpart gives you access to early agro due the bestowing of haste to a single creature for 1 red.

If you are spashing alot of tokens and creatures maybe Cathars' Crusade might be a good investment.

If you realy want to center this arround the + counters id include some abzan counter deck white creatures like Abzan Battle Priest.

Lastly i see you have alot of 1-2 CMC creatures.
I love the card Return to the Ranks
perhaps this is something for you? Especialy good with a swarm of 1/1 counters
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 03:48:09 pm by MagicMarty »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 01:10:37 am »
Thanks again guys. It is slowly shaping up but it is kind of hard because of the budget restrictions. The hanweir battlements is $1.02 right now :( so I will have to keep an eye on it and take a photo of it when it drops to $1.00. Another card I am keeping an eye on because of the budget is animation module. It is currently sitting at $1.04. Going to also look at artifact/enchantment removal as well but 1 thing at a time. So far it looks like the low mana curve with creatures at 1-3 drops and with things like brian has suggested the extra combat steps. Just go crazy nuts attacking it looks like for now. We'll see where it goes, again I got till January to work out the kinks .. I do like hundred handed one to deal with someone else's army too.. so again thanks so far and Judas..Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle would work fine considering that artifacts would also make Teshar trigger

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 01:14:57 am »
Also if you are wondering why so many cards now. These are the ones I have placed in either the maybe board or trying to just put in the proper category. The deck isn't finished but I will slowly cut out cards as I go

brianmpenn

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 02:59:39 am »
The budget is definitely a bummer.  We tried something similar and called it the "Dollar General" League.  We found that watching the cards was more of a hassle than it was worth.  $1 limit is keeping you from some great Boros Staples, but thankfully there are alternatives that fit the budget, just not as effective.  Boros is best with combat hijinks.  Might I recommend Hellkite Charger, Lightning Runner and Relentless Assault.  This way, everyone with a "when attacks" buff gets bigger still on your 2nd attack.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:20:44 pm by brianmpenn »

Strictly_Dueling

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 09:20:09 pm »
replace your dromoka captain for dragonscale general, they're roughly the same price but dragonscale general just does so much more.

-Lament for Bala Ged

Strictly_Dueling

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 04:49:10 pm »
congrats, update later and let us know how it performs.

-Lament for Bala Ged

robort

• Patron
  • Decks