deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Mazirek, Golgaristocrat  (Read 465 times)

Spinsane

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Mazirek, Golgaristocrat
« on: November 21, 2019, 12:51:16 am »
Mazirek, Golgaristocrat

While I love the Squandered Resources + World Shaper + Memorial to Folly infinite combo, I feel none of these really fits in the deck outside the combo, so chose to cut it out.

Still have 8 more cards to remove anyway, so am still short on room anyway. Anyone care to give me some suggestions? Anything I should have included but forgot (hopefully not too many, lol)?

Spinsane

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Mazirek, Golgaristocrat
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 02:23:14 pm »
Trimmed the deck down to 100 so I could give it a try. Removed the graveyard hate as well as the recursion cards I had that required a target (which is why Blood for Bones remains).

Revision 2

Added/removed cards:
-1 Deathrite Shaman
-1 Eternal Witness
-1 Ogre Slumlord
-1 Regrowth
-1 Scavenging Ooze
-1 Victimize
-1 Woodland Champion

Changed amounts:
-1 Forest

Spinsane

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 02:36:18 pm »
I’m still debating the following combo avenues; anyone think they should or could be included (if so, what do I take out to make some room?) or should they just be ignored altogether?

World Shaper + Squandered Resources + Memorial to Folly : infinite mana and infinite Mazirek sacrifice trigger.

The individual cards don’t fit the deck much individually, it seems, so I chose to shy away. Should I reconsider?

Pawn of Ulamog / Sifter of Skulls / Ogre Slumlord + Woodfall Primus / Puppeteer Clique / other persist creature : infinite Mazirek sacrifice trigger.

I’m trying to cut the average CMCs down (the 3 walkers are already expensive) so figured this combo wasn’t really accessible.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 04:04:29 pm »
While that Memorial to Folly combo is interesting, none of the combo cards involved do much outside of the combo. A three card dead combo is something you want to stay away from.

You might not need a combo for this deck. You can use cards like Merciless Executioner and Grave Pact to get incremental advantage, so you can win with combat damage. If you are trying to do a combo build, Mazirek might not be the best option.

Spinsane

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 04:24:18 pm »
That’s what I figured.

I’m not dead set on using combos, far from it, I was just wondering if any might improve on the deck. Persist is an ability I’ve been giving a lot of thought to, since Mazirek makes it a significantly better tool, but I’m not sure it makes any of the available creatures worthwhile outside of a combo... Would Cauldron of Souls be a good fit, or just an expensive dud? How about Puppeteer Clique or Woodfall Primus?

Spinsane

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 05:08:10 pm »
Sigh, had just prepared an update comment and clicked the wrong button...

Revision 4

After two initial test games I made a few adjustments to the deck:
Removed It That Betrays, it's just too expensive without any way to cheat it into play. Also removed Nath of the Gilt-Leaf, who didn't do much because of lack of synergy; I feel like unless Sadistic Hypnotist comes up, he'd never end up doing much.

Added Devoted Druid, since Mazirek turns it into a goldmine, and Grave Pact (thanks @Morganator) which I somehow managed to forget the first time around...

Added/removed cards:
+1 Devoted Druid
+1 Grave Pact

-1 Nath of the Gilt-Leaf
-1 It that Betrays
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 05:10:55 pm by Spinsane »

Spinsane

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 04:24:46 pm »
Made a few more adjustments following last night's game.

Replaced Bloodghast with Cauldron of Souls. While more expensive, once out it makes pretty much every non-token creature immune to removal (except exile).

Also replaced From Beyond with Slimefoot, the Stowaway. Without any Eldrazi to fetch, the first was a bit lackluster, and since Slimefoot can act as both a sac payoff and a mana dump, he felt ideal as a replacement.

Revision 5

Added/removed cards:
-1 Bloodghast
-1 From Beyond
+1 Cauldron of Souls
+1 Slimefoot, the Stowaway

Spinsane

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 07:45:09 pm »
Added Natural Order, and since it didn't result in any sacrifices, removed Finale of Eternity to make room for it...

Revision 6

Added/removed cards:
-1 Finale of Eternity
+1 Natural Order