deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Ways to deal with Najeela, the Blade-Blossom  (Read 873 times)

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
Ways to deal with Najeela, the Blade-Blossom
« on: December 01, 2019, 06:09:21 am »
Hello.

My friend wanted something on a similar power level to my Urza, Lord High Artificer deck so that he could combat it. He has a fairly powerful Yawgmoth, Thran Physician deck, but I can usually stomp Yawggy's face into the ground (as it should be, Urza is a practically a demi-god), thus Baral, Chief of Compliance was born. Got very annoyed with the whole permission deck so I included cards like mana maze and mana web, and the games take longer, but I can usually pull off the win. So here we are at Najeela, the Blade-Blossom. This is a lot rougher because she is 5 colors. She doesn't suffer from the lack of artifact/enchantment revoval that black and blue do, which I capaitalized on. She can potentially hold an answer for ANYTHING due to the 5 colors. Crawl Space seems like it would be good, but that just causes him to attack someone else first, but if you're familar with her style of deck, it doesn't particularly matter as long as someone is open to swing out with something like sword of feast and famine in play. So I need ways, particularly in mono blue, that I can shut down this deck, or delay it long enough to allow me to win.

What I have so far to stifle attacking, is Silent Arbiter, which I think would be a lot better than Crawlspace. I have yet to throw it in, but I might need to, and take out crawlspace.

The mana base is very expensive, so I was thinking of ways to punish that and all I have is back to basics. 1 out of 99 cards that I can't easily tutor for in blue, so any other ideas would be great

Thanks 
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Ways to deal with Najeela, the Blade-Blossom
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 06:23:44 am »
Are the suggestions for Baral or Urza? Because it makes a difference.

If you're using Baral, you can safely use Cursed Totem. If you're using Urza, then you can get a little more value out of Pithing Needle and Phyrexian Revoker. You should also already be using Winter Orb and Static Orb. in Urza. Best part of all, these cards are all artifacts, and blue has plenty of ways to search for those.

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 06:27:40 am »
Oh sorry for the confusion. I am playing Urza.

My friend went from Yawgmoth, to Baral, to Najeela, trying to defeat Urza.

I run Pithing Needle, Winter orb, Static Orb and back to basics. Phyrexian Revoker is an idea. I own the card, so I'll definitely throw it in and see how it goes.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 11:47:35 pm »
What about  Trickbind in addition to Stifle? You have to pay 1 mana more, but in exchange, you also shut najeela down, if there is enough mana for a second try.

If he likes to use equipments on her, Tower of the Magistrate could be interesting.

If it fits into your deck, you could use the Dross Scorpion + Liquimetal Coating + March of the Machines combo, in order to destroy all his lands (and the other lands on the table). Just keep in mind that the March also makes you more vulnerable against creature boardwipes (if someone is able to pay for them after you're done ;))

Imprisoned in the Moon would also shut her downand he has to use his enchantment removal in order to get his commander back, in stead of hurting you.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 01:38:16 am »
I wouldn't recommend the Liquimetal Coating combo, it uses too many dead cards (March of the Machines is also self-detrimental). The end result of the combo is more-or-less just "win the game". I'm sure you already have win the game combos.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 09:22:18 am »
I wouldn't recommend the Liquimetal Coating combo, it uses too many dead cards (March of the Machines is also self-detrimental). The end result of the combo is more-or-less just "win the game". I'm sure you already have win the game combos.

That's why I said "If it fits into your deck". For playing those cards just for that combo, the powerlevel should be way to high.

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 11:25:39 am »
Are you already playing Propaganda?
Also, I quote Pithing Needle. It's cheap, it can be fetched with Trinket Mage and it shuts down many decks.
A less obvious answer could be Echoing Truth. The idea is you bounce the first wave of tokens, so that he won't have enough mana to actually go infinite. Besides, it's an overall decent removal for blue.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:36:02 am by crimsonking »

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 06:02:34 pm »
Hmm I really really like echoing truth, and it can be fetched with spellseeker, so I will probabaly through that in there. I might also do imprisoned in the moon. My problem with imprisoned in the moon is that it is a permanent that only lasts until a removal spell is found. It isn't like he's playing mono black where my enchantments are pretty much safe from his removal, but I guess it's totally worth a try.

Thanks peoples!
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 09:54:12 pm »
you're welcome. My idea with imprisoned in the moon was, that people rarely play pure enchantment removal. they are usually paired with artifact removal (at least the most white/green ones). So if he has to use it in order to get his commander back, he can't destroy an important artifact you control.
Besides that, he usually really has to wait until he has found removal, since it's kinda difficult to get rid of your own lands otherwise (unless you're aiming for this).

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 11:58:38 pm »
If you like Echoing Truth, I saw a video about a cEDH Teshar (i.e. mono-white) deck where the guy played Engineered Explosives, claiming he can manage to charge it up to 3 counters thanks to his moxen.
I don't play cEDH (i.e. I'm not taking any responsibility on this claim   ;D), but again it's an artifact that you can fetch with Trinket Mage etc. So maybe it's worth a try.
Anyway, it's still a "pay 2: blast all tokens" that gets your deed done.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:01:58 am by crimsonking »