deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Looking for a New Commander  (Read 899 times)

MajordomoTom

• Decks
Re: Looking for a New Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2020, 09:51:07 pm »
I've been playing around with Krenko, Mob Boss (yes, Goblins, mono-red, but it's fun and it's "creaturey").  Variation would be to have Squee, the Immortal - you can let him "die" and cast him from your graveyard, no commander +2 cost to cast him from the command zone.

and with Arcades, The Strategist, for a very strange defender-based build/strategy.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 01:04:58 am »
With Shirei, maybe Thoughtpicker Witch and Martyr of Bones would be interesting ways to use your Commander's ability.  They would at least be good sideboard options.  Rustspore Ram is an option.  Lux Cannon takes to long to be useful without ways to speed it up.  Spine of Ish Sah has a high cost, but most of your spells are cheap, and it is reusable.  And then there is Worldslayer...

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 01:35:29 am »
A friend of mine runs a budget Arcades the Strategist deck with tons of low cmc inexpensive walls and his deck generates tons of draw and hits hard out of nowhere. Another good commander option, but includes green.

TropicalBoi

• Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 01:37:19 am »
If you like mono red, I would go with a commander like Zada, Hedron Grinder. He has a lot of potential and insane amounts of card draw, which is uncommon in red.

One of my favorite commanders that I've never got around to building is Toshiro Umezawa. It is a sort of mono black "instants matter" spellslinger with crazy control aspects.

I also really like my Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage deck, which allows me to make my choices in the game at instant speed. The deck is pretty much just a Vedalken Orrery in the command zone, with only 2 spells I can't cast on other people's turns.

Anyways, Brewing up new decks is always fun and if you really want to get crazy go to EDHREC.com and use their randomizer button to find a commander you've never even heard of. Ciao.

illi

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 06:37:43 am »
Chainer, Nightmare Adept is really cool and definitely is strong. Powerful budget cards with him are (but not limited to) lightning skelemental, plaguecrafter, and Greel, Mind Raker.

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 07:00:08 am »
How about Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale?  Can either play knight tribal or voltron, or a mix of the two.  Either way, it's pretty good.  IDK if it's been suggested yet.
A single victory is all I need.

Laodike

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 07:52:02 am »
SO you search for a Commander with the following conditions:
1. Non green.
2. Creature based.
3. Non Tribal.
4. Budget with a cheap Commander.
5. Can deal with enchantment based decks.
6. You want to play a strong deck (i assume that, because you expressed several times the fear, that certain commanders would be too weak for 
    your group)

Those conditions partially contradict each other. There are only two colors, which can deal with enchantment decks: green and white. Thus you need white in the colors of your commander you search (because of 1.).

In general there are two strong colors, which heavily outweigh the other three: green and blue. Moreover, green is the strongest color for creature based decks (because you also get your ramp in form of creatures and lots of win cons conceirning creatures (e.g. various Overruns). If you neither play green and blue, but want to have a strong deck, you need to play combo.

Assuming you dont want to play Combo (you didnt put the combo in your Grenzo list [Kiki-Jiki + Zealous Conscript]) i would recommand playing Esper colors. Since you dont want tribal, Alela, Artful Provocateur would be the closest to all those points. You can just build her around flying creatures, which exists enough in blue, white and black. Aim for 32 lands and 15 ramp artifacts, Skullclamp, tutors for Skullclamp and play your removal on enchantments (e.g. Aura of Silence), this way you can focus on building your main strategy around flying creatures, while still using her trigger ability.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 06:47:28 pm »
Krenko, Mob Boss: I very much agree that it is fun and creaturey, but someone else in my playgroup has built him. :l

Arcades, the Strategist: I am interested by him, but not only is he already in green, he's also in blue, which means even more shared cards.

Zada, Hedron Grinder: Basically feels like Feather, the Redeemed (which I've already built) but in mono red.

Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage: I'll look into it. I like playing reactively.

Chainer, Nightmare Adept: I've already built him.

Toshiro Umezawa: Props for finding that cool commander. I've never seen him(?) before, despite him seeming actually really good. Unfortunately, control really isn't my thing and neither is spellslinger. Cool commander, though.

Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale: When she was spoiled, I immediately built her (as I've had a mild interest in voltron decks), but found her abilities create tension with each other. Considering her big body and good evergreen keywords, I built her as a voltron commander, but then her 2nd ability wasn't being used much. When I include more knights, I have less equipment, and her 3rd ability starts becoming weaker. Additionally, she's a 6 mana Mardu commander (so no counterspells, Heroic Intervention, etc.) that is very threatening, leading to her constantly dying and me not playing the game.

@Laodike: You have discovered why I am having problems finding commanders. Thanks for breaking down my limitations a little more and analyzing what I need to fulfill my conditions. About combos, I don't mind them as long as they make sense in that deck in particular. For example, cards like Umbral Mantle in Ezuri, Renegade Leader makes perfect sense, since infinite mana is easy to obtain and game-winning. Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal in Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca makes perfect sense because it synergizes with Kumena and leads to easy wins. Combos like Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Zealous Conscripts feel uninspired, as they can go in any red deck. I might have built Alela, but I'll build her again with your ideas in mind.

@Firegriff: Thoughtpicker Witch seems solid, and especially good against top of deck tutors. I'll look to see if I can fit it in. Martyr of Bones is definitely more of a sideboard card, and I already have Heap Doll for some grave hate. All the other removal options beside Worldslayer are just bad cards (imo) and definitely not worth it to me.