deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Mogis Group Slug  (Read 245 times)

Samwax

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Mogis Group Slug
« on: January 07, 2020, 05:32:52 am »
Mogis Group Slug

This deck is designed to speed things up by punishing all players and starting a race for the bottom. Tired of getting stuck in games that last hours on end? Solve your problem now, with Mogis!

Would love some feedback on the build and any suggestions are welcome. The deck is more about having fun than winning, so anything crazy people know of would always be appreciated!

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Mogis Group Slug
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 09:33:01 am »
Hmm. Did you consider wound reflection? Great card, but I think it is pricey now. There is also Vial Smasher the Fierce, similar to Kaervek the Merciless.

Also maybe some mana ramp like Crypt Ghast/Cabal Coffers. Also, since it seems like you hate lands as much as I do, with cards like price of progress and blood moon, maybe consider Price of Glory and Ruination? I like those cards. Teach you to mess with me. I am like very sleep deprived, so I don't want to go too in depth. Well I can't I'll fall asleep. I just wanted to give you my quick two cents. :D

If you'd like, when I have more sleep, I can give more feedback. Let me know.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Samwax

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 10:10:51 pm »
Good suggestions! Definitely interested in hearing more once you've gotten some sleep!

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 06:48:53 am »
Hello, again!

So I'll just go over the cards that I think are noteworthy, either because  they suck, are questionable or are amazing.

So let's get right into it!

Ob Nixilis, Unshackled- This card sounds great, but if you want to speed the game up, as it seems based on your quick description, this won't do that. It really just prevents people from tutoring, so no fetch lands or demonic tutors or anything, which stifles the game. Now combine it with Maralen of the Mornsong and that is nasty. And there are a million and one tutors in black you could run to make sure you can reliably get the combo. Up to you. I think it would be fun.

Master of Cruelties- Okay this card is great. I would love to play it, but you  have a really high mana curve, so I think some cuts need to be made for Crypt Ghast, Treasonous Ogre, etc. I think this is a good card to cut.

Torbran, Thane of Red Fell- Alright, here I will admit I am not too sure. Personally I wouldn't run it, but it seems like a card that looks bad, but actually can kick ass. You have a lot of red effects that do damage. The question is, "Is the damage you get out of it worth it, or would you be better of with another card?" Think how often the card is useless. How often do you draw it and say, "Ugh. This is of no use to me." Although it does synergize directly with the commander.

Seizan, Perverter of Truth- I'll get to underworld dreams later, but you are running that card alongside this, and I think there was another one that works with these two in the deck, but I forget. I'll see it again later. Well cards like Sangromancer would probably be nice since if you are filling their hands up, they'll have to discard. Also works great with Sire of Insanity and decently with Plaguecrafter. Also consider Dark Deal maybe? If you decide to lean more into the discard theme?

Cryptolith Fragment- This sucks balls. I understand the idea, and the flip side of the card is actually decent, but how often do you have games where EVERYONE is below 10 life? Usually there is at least one person in the teens at the end of the game. Also, first and foremost, this is a mana rock. We need mana ramp in this deck to play all those big flashy spells. Three mana for a rock that enters tapped? Yeah no. Never, ever, ever good. Arcane Signet is infinitely better.

Hammer of Purphoros - Your creatures have haste, okay? You don't seem to utilize haste that much. You'd be just fine running lightning greaves.

Hedron Archive- Oh lord oh god no. Four mana for a Mana rock? Thran Dynamo is the only acceptable four mana mana rock. You should have plenty of card draw on your own that you don't need that. You're in black. Run necropotence. Also Wheel of Fortune. How poor are you? Is that off the table?

Mindcrank- I wouldn't run it, but hey, I can see it being fun. I dunno why I even mentioned it, it's fine.

Rakdos Signet- Talisman of Indulgence? It seems worse, but think of it like this. Turn 1 Sol Ring into Rakdos Signet, pass turn. Turn 1 Sol Ring into Talisman of Indulgence into Bloodchief Ascension. I prefer not needing mana to activate my mana. Life doesn't mean anything as long as its a positive number, right? You could always run both. More mana ramp in a deck like this wouldn't hurt.

Reverberate- Fine spell, but I would like to point out, because so many people forget this, that it can be used as a counterspell. Someone casts counterspell to counter something you cast, you copy and counter their counterspell.

Star Storm- Why Star Storm when you can Comet Storm?

Blasphemous Act- Oh, run Stuffy Doll. So much fun.

Cut // Ribbons- The card just doesn't do enough in my opinion. Like two mana, I want to have the option to do 4 to someone's face or just kill the creature directly, although, late in the game it can be used for a great mana sink, just don't forget that it's there. So maybe it can be good.

Fraying Omnipotence- You're a special kind of evil. I like you. You might be particularly interested in this list: https://deckstats.net/decks/82803/979808--list-chaos-cards-for-edh/en

Small Pox- See Fraying Omnipotence above.

Manabarbs- If you are running this, you want as much out of your lands for as few taps as possible. Cards like Crypt Ghast, which I've mentioned a lot, sorry, great card, Nirkana Revenant, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Cabal Coffers, all great in this situation, and Lotus Vale too. Wow there is a deck where that card can go.

Pyrohemia- What's better than one Pyrohemia? Two! Pestilence. Actually I think Pestilence was the original. There is also Pestilence Demon, which is most definitely worse.

You know, Sheoldred would be great here, Sheoldred, Whispering One.

Hey, you know what would be funny with Heartless Hidetsugu? Tainted Pact, or is it Tainted Strike. Not sure, whichever one shows up as a card in the post is the one I mean. If you have less than 20 life, and your opponents have more than 20 life, then you can do 10 damage to them and if he has infect, that is 10 poison counters everyone gets. Also, if you want more infect, might I suggest Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon?

The deck looks fun, but the mana curve is so very high. Can't really fix that without changing the deck and taking all the fun big high casting cards out. If your meta allows for nothing to happen until turn 4 or 5, then you'll be fine. If I brought this deck to my table, the game would be over before I got to do anything. It is simply the power level of the decks in the meta. We used to play decks like this, and gradually made our decks quicker and quicker and stronger and stronger and now something like this doesn't compete, which is a shame because I would love to play a group slug deck.

Anyway, any more questions ask away!

HEY THIS IS IN PURPLE LOOK HERE I EDITED THE POST!!!!! Also K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth would be good for ramp, but you do have to remember that in a group slug deck you will be hurting everyone, including yourself, so it isn't as amazing as it could be, but always great. Phyrexian mana is broken.
[\color]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 06:19:55 am by Red_Wyrm »
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red