English-language Forums > Commander Discussion

cEDH and EDH: an analogy

<< < (2/3) > >>

Marshstepper78:
Maybe the solution is to have WotC take over the banned list and leave it out of the hands of a rules committee governed by nostalgia and emotion. There is no illusion that EDH is one of the most popular formats right now - look at all the new product coming in 2020 - and there is more and more of a Commander presence at sanctioned events (which will undoubtedly grow in the next year or two).

WotC handles the official banned list designed to encourage competitive play and let friends auto-regulate their own little metas at the kitchen table. I've never played at an LGS or a sanctioned event, only playing with my good friends of 20+ years, and we do a fine job managing our meta so we all have fun. The banned list is there for the health of the format at large; no one says we can't add or unban cards at home amongst friends. If you decide to play amongst strangers, the banned list is fundamentally there to ensure we all 'speak the same language'.

I can understand that the group of people that created this once-fringe format is upset that it has evolved into the entity it is today and is no longer exclusively the whimsical, fun format they played back then, but things have clearly changed. Not everyone is happy with change, but we all have to live with it; some tides are just too strong to resist.

Just a thought really.

Yeah, Flash needs a proper banning.

Slyvester12:
I'm with Marshstepper. I think WOTC taking control might actually be desirable. They're already monetizing EDH as hard as they can; if they started running tournaments or even just released an official banlist for side tournaments, we might see real consideration for cEDH.

Of course, with how things have been going, they might also just ban all non-standard cards, fiddle with the rules a bit, and call it something silly, like "brawl."

In all seriousness, though, I very much doubt the RC will ever consider cEDH when banning.

Soren841:
WotC will totally fuck up EDH if they control the banlist. I dislike Sheldon and some RC decisions but their banning philosophy is way better, and they HAVE added the advisory committee thing.

Red_Wyrm:
Is there any cEDH representation on the RC or advisory board? Or do cEDH players just have to hope these people take into account their mini format?

Soren841:
The advisory board has people that are somewhat connected to cEDH yes, but obviously the Paradox Engine banning shows that they either suck or are ignored

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version