deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Show me your pauper brews!  (Read 822 times)

MonteTribal

• Decks
Show me your pauper brews!
« on: January 15, 2020, 04:34:12 am »
I know we've got some clever people here with some spicy tech. Show me some pauper brews that are your pet projects! Or some fun build around commons. I'm looking some neat decks to bring to my play group.

My latest one is a mono black "High Tide'. It doesn't combo off so much as stall and then ramp into some big damage with Crypt Rats and Consume Spirit. Some artifact synergies thrown in for good measure. (C&C welcome of course)

https://deckstats.net/decks/99624/1412637-muck-tide

Show me what you got :)

dexflux

• Decks
Re: Show me your pauper brews!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 04:38:46 pm »
Don't have a full list currently, but it includes Exhume, Faithless Looting and Ulamog's Crusher. It's essentially Reanimator. I'm not sure whether I should go Mardu, Grixis or just stay BR.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 05:37:33 pm »
Don't have a full list currently, but it includes Exhume, Faithless Looting and Ulamog's Crusher. It's essentially Reanimator. I'm not sure whether I should go Mardu, Grixis or just stay BR.

Sounds fun! I'm sure each has its own benefits.

Grixis has Striped Riverwinder and Careful Study and Thoughtscour
Mardu has the other reanimation spells like Breath of Life and Resurrection
Sticking BR makes your mana much much better.

Either way - Insolent Neonate also sounds like a good fit

dexflux

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 07:40:38 pm »
I will also include Greater Sandwurm as a threat. Doesn't get much bigger in Pauper. It's quite synergistic in that deck.

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 11:03:27 pm »
BR reanimator and/or Mardu reanimator have been a thing in pauper for a while and not some spicey new brew, sorry.

Tolarian Community College did a video on Mardu reanimator when Breath of Life became pauper legal. It also has a copy of Greater Sandwurm.

Insolent Neonate is an all-star in that deck, as is Dragon Breath.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 11:22:55 pm »
Not me, but a friend of mine built a wall tribal deck that used Glyph of Destruction and Fling as a win-con.

hotrodscott

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:49:27 am »
I used to play pauper a ton and the two home brews I had the most fun with were mono red prowess (my pauper rendition of the Blistering Rage modern deck from MTG Goldfish)  https://deckstats.net/decks/56090/469186-burness-mono-red-prowess-/en and my temur battle infect deck (your usual infect suspects there, but splashing red for a bunch of double strike effects) https://deckstats.net/decks/56090/503360-temur-battle-infect/en

Clearly, these need to be revisited as I haven't updated them since the Gitaxian Probe ban and there might be some nice, new additions that have come out in the last 3-4 years since I was playing with these.  (Either Rite of Flame over the probes, or maybe something to deal with anything annoying in the meta these days.)

Neither will probably win you any tournaments, but on MTGO they would frequently catch people.   "nice glass cannon a-hole, see you next game..." then rage quits on the game 2 when they see the T1 kiln fiend :p)  Both struggled with MBC, but could usually race tron or delver or any of the other big meta decks back then. 

Other infect builds (Mono G) will be more consistent with the pauper mana base, but folks don't generally expect the trample Temur Battle Rage gives you, so if you wait until you can one shot them, they don't see it coming and can't do much to stop it if you keep up protection.

hotrodscott

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 06:29:08 pm »
Deck looks pretty awesome!  Do you have enough to clog up the board v. aggro (stompy, elves, gobos, etc.) or life-gain to offset dmg to get you to your win-con?   I see you have tendrils in the sideboard for that, maybe that or a main board Gray Merchant of Asphodel? I guess it's really dependent upon your meta.  Should be easy enough to tune with playtesting. The bones are there! 

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 06:35:59 pm »
Deck looks pretty awesome!  Do you have enough to clog up the board v. aggro (stompy, elves, gobos, etc.) or life-gain to offset dmg to get you to your win-con?   I see you have tendrils in the sideboard for that, maybe that or a main board Gray Merchant of Asphodel? I guess it's really dependent upon your meta.  Should be easy enough to tune with playtesting. The bones are there!

I had Gray Merchant in there in v1 I think. But it looks kind of bad here. There are a lot of colorless cards and few of the other creatures have double black in their cmc. I just didn't think it would do enough, maybe drain for 3 on average.
I am also still thinking if Fen Hauler is worth it, when I could just as easily use Gurmag Angler. Same mana, probably easier to cast too, because Muck also adds 1 to delve. T1 Map, T2 use removal/Sign in Blood and sac map, t3 Muck into Angler seems like the fastest way to get it out. Hauler seems like its a t4 at best, and probably not great either way lol.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 03:49:36 pm »
My favorite Pauper deck I currently have that I built almost two years ago...

https://deckstats.net/decks/6217/927224-jund-cascade-exhume/en

This is probably my next favorite...

https://deckstats.net/decks/6217/943914-rakdos-aggro/en
This space for rent.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 06:41:48 pm »
That Jund Cascade deck look sick! Looks like it could use a little updating: gain lands > guild gates and Ob Nixilis's Cruelty might be better than Murder for the easier mana cost, but that is a very spicy brew. But man, that looks so fun to play. Rakdos aggro also looks pretty nasty when it gets a good starting hand.

Thank you for sharing!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 08:08:19 pm »
Thanks!

The Jund Cascade Exhume is a lot of fun to play. I've been meaning to change the Gates out for gain lands but just haven't gotten around to it. Hadn't thought about Ob Nixilis's Cruelty.
This space for rent.