deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Best Value: One Mana Spells in Theros Beyond Death  (Read 558 times)

DelverMage

• Decks
Best Value: One Mana Spells in Theros Beyond Death
« on: January 21, 2020, 02:51:21 pm »
Theros Beyond Death is here.  I found it interesting at the prerelease that there were very few new players, but there were a number of players who have not played in a while, that came back to play Theros. 

There are 25 spells with a CMC of one, that do not also have an X beside them.  Two of them are reprints and neither Infuriate or Traveler's Amulet are exciting reprints.  I can see their usefulness in limited, but nothing really interesting.  I am glad to see that only one of these cards is Rare, and most of the rest are uncommon or common.  That means better playables for your budget decks and drafts.

I also noticed that the overall value of the one mana spells has gone down significantly.  I do have 6 7 cards to talk about, and 4 of them bring MORE than three times their cost in value.  Throne of Eldraine had 5 in that category.  Having said that, there are no honorable mentions here.

Alseid of Life's Bounty - 1/1 and Lifelink for W is a fairly standard card in sets these days, and very playable.  Alseid of Life's Bounty also allows you to save a critical creature or enchantment card later on in the game, when being a 1/1 Lifelink creature is no longer that useful.  There is no surprise combat trick here, and you have to hold up a mana to do so, but it makes your opponent think twice about pulling off a combat trick.

Chainweb Aracnir - A very nice anti-flyer card for one G.  It can take out any early 1/1 flyers your opponents have, when it comes into play.  This is a strong spider for the early game.  Chainweb Aracnir also has escape, and when it comes back later in the game, it is sized to take out midgame sized flyers.  As a 4/5 it is capable of taking out most flyers in Standard, and the cost to do so is very fair.

Cling to Dust - Cling to Dust is the latest Black card that seems to do a number of tiny effects for B.  Vicious Rumors was the last one.  This time, the key effect is the instant ability to exile a card from a graveyard.  Excellent for removing cards with Escape, of which there are some very pesky ones out there.  If it is a creature you get a three life bonus, and if not you get a card!  So there is no real cost for having this card in your deck, as it can just replace itself if your opponent is not pulling juicy stuff from their graveyard.  It also allows you to target any graveyard, so it can be used on yourself in case of an emergency or to cycle it out of your hand.  In those situations where this effect is in high demand, Cling to Dust also comes with Escape!  It is quite expensive, but it can be a game saver. ((((Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger))))

Karametra's Blessing - Just can't get away from the elk….  Karametra's Blessing is a fairly standard combat trick, but in the case that its target is enchanted or is an enchantment creature, hexproof and indestructible is an incredible boost.  Obviously this set has many targets that get the full Monty version here.  Very strong combat trick in limited, and in Standard you can easily have a deck that can take advantage of this card consistently. 

Mogis's Favor - This is a card that can be extra tricky.  As a power booster for one of your creatures that can handle the -1 toughness, but it can be used to remove opponents 1 toughness creatures, of which there are a bunch of in Standard, and THB in particular.  Add on top of that an Escape clause…. And it pulls double duty.

Shadowspear - One mana to bring into play, and two to equip it.  It is not really an early game play, as your mana base will rarely support summoning a creature and getting the Shadowspear on to the battlefield and then equipped by turn 3.  Once it is equipped, your creature gets quite powerful, very quickly.  The extra ability to remove Hexproof and Indestructible from all of your opponents permanents (including land) makes this a God Killer.  Extremely powerful card in any format.

Soul-Guide Lantern - Yet another card that helps you remove Escape cards from your opponents graveyard when it comes into play.   It has two options for use;  Exile your opponent's graveyard, or the ability to sack the Soul-Guide Lantern and draw a card.  Nice defense against any graveyard heavy decks, removing Escape cards and slowing down any future escapees. The second ability keeps this card from being a dead card in your deck, making it quite playable.  ((((Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger))))

Edited to add in Mogis's Favor, as suggested. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:55:49 pm by DelverMage »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Best Value: One Mana Spells in Theros Beyond Death
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 04:14:01 pm »
I always look forward to these!
This space for rent.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 04:20:53 pm »
I think Mogis's Favor could also be on this list. It is like a Darkblast variant that can be used offensively. Kills every X/1 your opponent can play.

DelverMage

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 04:57:30 pm »
I think Mogis's Favor could also be on this list. It is like a Darkblast variant that can be used offensively. Kills every X/1 your opponent can play.

I concur.  I reviewed my scoring on Mogis's Favor and updated accordingly.  It now qualifies for the list and has been added.  Thanks MonteTribal!!

terminalgeek

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 05:14:25 pm »
I'd suggest Mystic Repeal. Takes care of indestructible gods and gets around graveyard shenanigans.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 10:28:29 pm »
I'd suggest Mystic Repeal. Takes care of indestructible gods and gets around graveyard shenanigans.

The card solely hits enchantments. While definitely a good card when the newest set is enchantment based, all the other cards on the list are a lot more versatile.

With that being said, I do think 1 mana to tuck any of the gods or other powerful enchantments at instant speed is pretty amazing.

Itll shine in limited because it is essentially 1 mana creature/enchantment removal,  but I dont know how prevalent enchantments are in standard. At worst, its probably a sideboard card.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red