deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Xenagod almost all creatures - more ramp, more draw, or more fatties?  (Read 358 times)

chillwolf

• Decks
Looking for some advice on my last 3 cuts for Xenagos: https://deckstats.net/decks/121552/1504688-xenagos-creature-spam

I have tried to make this deck mostly creatures, for some flavor and also to take advantage of things like Ruric Thar, Genesis Wave, etc.

I think I Need to keep at least 10 sources of draw to make sure I can draw past extra mana dorks in the end game, but I should probably keep my ramp creatures around 15 to make sure I get the two I need to get Xenagos out on turn 3.

Any thoughts on what can go? I appreciate your time!

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: Xenagod almost all creatures - more ramp, more draw, or more fatties?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 11:33:49 pm »
You are absolutely right there on those numbers, no need to change them. However... looking at your mana curve you've got an enormous amount of 6-drops. Your average mana cost is over 4! That's some battlecruiser magic - very vulnerable to board wipes, mind you. You'll have a bad time if someone starts removing your creatures.

I think you need to do your cuts higher on the curve because you should have a clear board presence by the time you cast Xenagod. Six drops aren't going to cut that. I would personally cut the entire "one shot fatties" category except for a few creatures: Primordial Hydra, Savageborn Hydra, Embercleave and maybe Hydra Omnivore. Instead, you need smaller things like Predator Ooze, Managorger Hydra. You could toy around scaling threats like Mistcutter Hydra or other X-costed creatures. I'm also not sure if you're going for Dragons, Hydras or +1/+1 counters.

You've got the right idea but I think you're aiming for too late game and you'll suffer some casualties on the way there.

EDIT: If you want you can take a look at my Hydra-themed deck here: https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/811329-rosheen-meanderer-x-fatties-50/en
It has a distinct X-costed theme and the finishers like Overwhelming Stampede or Triumph of the Hordes are at the very top of the curve between CMC 5 and 7. I have the advantage of being able to pump an additional four mana into my spells but the basic idea is pretty much the same as yours: lots of fat creatures, threaten the entire board with them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:36:20 pm by MustaKotka »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 05:52:31 am »
The deck is actually pretty balanced in terms of the number of each thing in each category.

One card that sticks out is Ruric Thar, the Unbowed. This card is entirely meta dependent. Are you going up against other stompy or aggro, well really just any creature based decks? Do your games usually end in combat damage? If so, then probably, yes. So I would run something else instead. This slot would be almost like a silver bullet slot for whatever is prominent in your meta. If zombies are a problem, Grafdigger's Cage, if Yarok is a problem, Torpor Orb. Whatever you need. Heck maybe just pithing needle if you are going against some decks like Krenko or something.

Godo, Bandit Warlord does absolutely nothing. You are running no equipment and no Samurai. This leads me to my next point. A lot of your fatties aren't too fat. You want big boys like Worldspine Wurm or guys that become big like Protean Hydra. I would suggest looking into cards like Managorger Hydra and Forgotten ancient as they come down early and are a threat late game. What budget are we on? If you are running fatties, Selvala, Heat of the Wild would be a great include. Oh, you're running Sylvan Library, so no budget, got it.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

chillwolf

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 03:30:12 pm »
The deck is actually pretty balanced in terms of the number of each thing in each category.

One card that sticks out is Ruric Thar, the Unbowed. This card is entirely meta dependent. Are you going up against other stompy or aggro, well really just any creature based decks? Do your games usually end in combat damage? If so, then probably, yes. So I would run something else instead. This slot would be almost like a silver bullet slot for whatever is prominent in your meta. If zombies are a problem, Grafdigger's Cage, if Yarok is a problem, Torpor Orb. Whatever you need. Heck maybe just pithing needle if you are going against some decks like Krenko or something.

Godo, Bandit Warlord does absolutely nothing. You are running no equipment and no Samurai. This leads me to my next point. A lot of your fatties aren't too fat. You want big boys like Worldspine Wurm or guys that become big like Protean Hydra. I would suggest looking into cards like Managorger Hydra and Forgotten ancient as they come down early and are a threat late game. What budget are we on? If you are running fatties, Selvala, Heat of the Wild would be a great include. Oh, you're running Sylvan Library, so no budget, got it.

Red, thanks for the comments!

There are a lot of spellslinger decks in my meta, so I thought Ruric could be a good way to get some chip damage in, making it easier for my fatties to finish them off?

Godo is in there for the Embercleave combo I have going on, but Godo + Embercleave takes up two slots, so maybe I should switch those out for Worldspine Wurm and Forgotten Ancient (I already own a copy of Forgotten Ancient)? Thoughts on Godo vs some of the other fatties?

My budget here is about $150, but that's a little deceiving because I already own some of the expensive stuff including Sylvan Library, Primordial Hydra, Ghalta, and a lot of the lands.

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 09:19:40 am »
Hello!

I completely forgot embercleave was in there. Idk why. Had the deck list open in the other tab. Now I think putting embercleave on Godo is pointless because godo is just so small. I think the intention is to out it on something bigger than him, yes? Just using him for the tutor of the equipment. If that's the case, I'd recommend a card like rage reflection or berserkers' onslaught. I am pretty sure there is a 4 mana enchantment that has you give a target creature double strike every combat for that turn. Cant think of the name. Sure you cant flash this out, but they're still pretty decent. No reequip costs. I mean embercleave is fine, so you could really ignore those suggestions, but I still dont think it is worth playing Godo. Play another big fatty. Do you own any eldrazi titans? They would be great includes, along with Darksteel Colossus and Blightsteel Colossus. I am not sure if you're running rancor or triumph of the hordes. I'm on my phone and it's so tedious trying to open your deck on here, but if you arent, I'd reccomend both of those cards.

I do think you need more cards that scale as the game goes on. Primordial hydra is good. Really any x creature cards and cards like managorger hydra.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

chillwolf

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 05:47:21 pm »
Hello!

I completely forgot embercleave was in there. Idk why. Had the deck list open in the other tab. Now I think putting embercleave on Godo is pointless because godo is just so small. I think the intention is to out it on something bigger than him, yes? Just using him for the tutor of the equipment. If that's the case, I'd recommend a card like rage reflection or berserkers' onslaught. I am pretty sure there is a 4 mana enchantment that has you give a target creature double strike every combat for that turn. Cant think of the name. Sure you cant flash this out, but they're still pretty decent. No reequip costs. I mean embercleave is fine, so you could really ignore those suggestions, but I still dont think it is worth playing Godo. Play another big fatty. Do you own any eldrazi titans? They would be great includes, along with Darksteel Colossus and Blightsteel Colossus. I am not sure if you're running rancor or triumph of the hordes. I'm on my phone and it's so tedious trying to open your deck on here, but if you arent, I'd reccomend both of those cards.

I do think you need more cards that scale as the game goes on. Primordial hydra is good. Really any x creature cards and cards like managorger hydra.

Godo actually has a cool interaction with Embercleave! You can find and put Embercleave on the field with his trigger, it equips for free thanks to the Embercleave trigger, then you haste and double him with Xenagos. This makes him a 8/8 double strike and trample in the first combat stage for 16 damage, then the Godo extra combat trigger goes off and you double him again with Xenagos making him a 16/16 double strike and trample for 32 damage in the second combat phase. 48 trample damage for 6 mana aint too bad!

I'm wary of too many X cards because they just die if you put them on the battlefield with Genesis Wave or Lurking Predators or some of the other cost-cheating cards in the deck. But it is certainly good to have some flexible threats, so I will definitely include a few!

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 08:23:36 pm »
Oh I totally forgot to factor in xenagos. Totally worth including godo then.

My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red