deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: I am building a set! Would you like to help?  (Read 1652 times)

firebrand549

• Decks
I am building a set! Would you like to help?
« on: January 31, 2020, 07:41:40 am »
Welcome!
Hi deckstats friends! I've recently started building a set, which is a fairly large undertaking (who knew?). In terms of card design, I'm not very deep (like 5 cards haha) but I'm very happy with the setting I've built for it. I'm going to dive into describing what's already been done and what my vision is in a second, but first I'd like to outline how you can be involved!

How You Can Help
1. Tell me what cards you'd like to see reprinted. I want the set to be very original, but every set needs reprints! What cards (within reason) do you think should make a grand reappearance?
2. Tell me what cards that don't yet exist you'd like to see. As I said, the cards themselves are in the very early stages, and this is a chance to make some cool things you think magic needs!
3. Tell me your impressions of the set. I will regularly update this post with new cards as they are created, or revised, and there will be A LOT of that, trust me. I know there are people out there with significantly more knowledge of the cards already out there, and I'd love to hear how you think these cards would interact with anything and everything, especially outside of Standard.
4. Playtesting. We're not there yet, but eventually, I hope to have a full set built, and I don't want to just stop there. The goal is to have a downloadable proxy set that can be easily printed so people can mess around with these cards and find the broken janky stuff I missed in V1. If trying out a bunch of new cards with your friends for free sounds like something that interests you, keep an eye on this thread!

Bounty of the North
And now, the moment you've been waiting for: What the hell is this set about? Without further ado, I present to you, Bounty of the North, set on the plane of Krisegard. The story of the set revolves around the awakening of mana on Krisegard. The story actually told by the set spans four acts, but I've also written a brief passage about the more ancient history of Krisegard, and about the aftermath of all the events that take place in Bounty of the North.

History of Krisegard
Magical beings have always existed on Krisegard, but they have not been especially powerful or numerous. Trolls, Giants, and other monsters are typically hunted down by large war parties as soon as they are discovered, while Elves and Human mages are tolerated as long as they prove themselves useful as court mages, soldiers, healers, etc... This means that while the existence of magic is a widely known fact, it has very little impact on the daily lives of most people. Krisegard is very much a plane on which the magical exists in spite of the commonplace, rather than the other way around. Society on Krisegard is not organized by race or color affiliation, but rather simply into Viking-like clans with longstanding warrior cultures. Magic occasionally finds its way into these disputes, but the weakness of the leylines under Krisegard combined with the lack of experienced mages makes those occurrences rare and not especially impactful outliers. All this is soon to change, and that is where Bounty of the North picks up.

Act 1: Calix Ignites Krisegard
Worlds away on Theros, Elspeth has just managed to planeswalk away after escaping the underworld and defeating Heliod. Calix, created with the sole purpose of hunting Elspeth down, has his spark ignited by the prospect of failing in his life's sole destiny and randomly planeswalks away as all new planeswalkers do... to Krisegard. The presence of Calix's ignited spark awakens the until-now dormant leylines under Krisegard, intense flares of mana rising up to meet a host at long last. You see, just like powerful mages need to draw mana from the land in order to cast spells, leylines need powerful mages to draw mana from them in order to contain them and help them grow sustainably. On most planes, this happens gradually, as creatures that are randomly born with magical abilities tap into the trace amounts of mana on their plane, prompting the emergence of more mana, which infuses more beings with magical abilities, and so on and so on. On Krisegard however, so few magical creatures and magic users were born and allowed to flourish that the leylines were left to slowly get bigger and bigger beneath the surface of the plane until a being powerful enough to draw it out appeared and the mana burst to the surface of the plane uncontrolled like a dam bursting.

Act Two: Plane in Chaos
Months after Calix's arrival, things have only gotten worse on Krisegard. All sorts of new, more powerful magical creatures start appearing and ravaging the land. Mages now find huge amounts of mana flowing all around them, and those once only capable of parlor tricks begin reshaping the plane as they see fit, in many cases replacing the warlords they once were forced to serve. The mana flares even affect the dead on Krisegard, as beings long-dead return to walk among the living, reanimated by pure magical energy coursing through them, only with a desperate need to consume all the mana they can in order to stay alive. Amidst all this, the nonmagical factions that once fought over land and ancient disputes have been forced into an uneasy alliance against the horrors that now walk their plane. They manage to hold a few strongholds, but it's all they can do to just survive, let alone try to reclaim their ancestral lands overrun by monsters or stolen by wizard-kings. Calix wanders Krisegard amidst all this, empowered by the mana flares, but still untrained in the use of his spark and unable to escape in order to fulfill his destiny.

Act Three: Walkers at War
As Calix roams the plane at war, all the activity on Krisegard draws the attention of some other planeswalkers. The first is Tamiyo, who is fascinated by such an enormous eruption of mana on a plane previously so devoid of it. She suspects Krisegard may hold clues as to the origins of mana itself, and cannot resist going to investigate. When she arrives, she is appalled by the chaos the plane has been thrown into and weighs getting involved to try to alleviate some of the pain and suffering rather than remaining a neutral observer. The second planeswalker who arrives forces her hand. Ob-Nixilis also senses the eruption of mana on Krisegard and sees an opportunity to reap the benefits of huge amounts of uncontrolled mana. On arriving, he leaps right into action, harvesting death, gorging on mana, and growing more powerful by the day. As he does this, he encounters Calix and Tamiyo. As an agent of Destiny, Calix understands respects Tamiyo's efforts to understand the world around her, and she is eager to glean what secrets she can from him. They form a friendship and ally in order to battle Ob-Nixilis. Unfortunately for the inhabitants of Krisegard, this battle of three titans upends the balance of power once more, and those who thought themselves the new master of the plane are forced to take sides. Most of the magical humans ally themselves with Calix and Tamiyo, hoping to drive out some of the chaos and monsters invading their lands. Most of the monsters and undead ally themselves with Ob-Nixilis, the more sentient among them hoping to become the uncontested rulers of Krisegard, the mindless simply drawn to his raw power. This presents an opportunity for those on the plane who still reject magic, and they send out numerous raiding parties to reclaim their lands while the forces of magic are busy in a plane-wide war.

Act Four: The Rise and Fall of Gudom Vaktare
As Calix and Tamiyo desperately try to hold off Ob-Nixilis and his forces, loose mana surges powerfully around them, catching anything that happens to be nearby in the crossfire. One person so caught is Gudom Vaktare, a member of a raiding party sent to recapture land that once belonged to his clan. An especially large mana eruption strikes Gudom and he appears to have been killed, not that the world around him has the leisure to take notice. However, just as Ob-Nixilis is about to strike down Tamiyo, Gudom rises glowing red and white, wielding spark-like abilities. He engages all three planeswalkers at once, channeling the power of his plane to get revenge on those he sees as the cause of the destruction of his home. Unfortunately, while he possesses great raw power, he is still too inexperienced to use it to fight effectively. Seeing that the fight is hopeless, he begins drawing as much mana as he can out of the heart of Krisegard and puts it all into one mighty blow, not aimed at any of his rival planeswalkers, but directly at the leylines beneath them. In a heroic act of self-sacrifice, Gudom gives his life to wipe magic from Krisegard. Thanks to his power of foresight, Calix is able to warn Tamiyo of what is about to happen and she manages to planeswalk away, allowing Calix to follow in her wake. Ob-Nixilis gets no such warning and is destroyed along with Gudom in the blast.

Aftermath
While all sources of magic on Krisegard seem to have been wiped away by Gudom’s sacrifice, as nothing like this has ever happened before it is unknown if the leylines have been truly destroyed or simply completely tapped out for the time being. Krisegard slowly begins its very gradual return to normalcy, but if the leylines ever reawaken, it may all be for naught.

Thanks for getting this far!
So, you made it through the story of the set, good job! I appreciate you taking the time to read it and I hope it was both a fun read and a good look into the world this set takes place in. I also know there's a chance you've just scrolled this far to get to the cards, and I won't leave you hanging. Keep in mind that this is the first draft and that in a few weeks (or even days) these first few cards may be totally different if they even still exist at all. BUT, that progress can only be made with YOUR help, so put your new card analysis cap on.

Raseri, Rage Queen

{1}{r}{g}

Legendary Creature - Human Warrior (Rare)

Berserker 4 (This creature enters the battlefield with 4 rage counters. If it would be dealt damage, you may remove a rage counter from it. If you do, prevent that damage.)
Whenever another creature you control would enter the battlefield with one or more counters of any type on it, you may have it enter with that many plus two counters of that type instead.

5 / 3

Haft, Master Reassembler

{2}{u}{b}{g}

Legendary Creature - Zombie Wizard (Mythic Rare)

Whenever another creature is put into your graveyard from anywhere, distribute up to X +1/+1 counters among creatures you control, where X is that creature's converted mana cost.
If it had any keyword abilities, distribute those too.

2 / 3

Olvudel, the Partially-Named

{w}{w}

Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (Rare)

Whenever a spell or ability you control exiles a permanent, gain 1 life and draw a card.
{3}{w},{t}: Exile target permanent. You may return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.

2 / 2

Gudom, the Savior

{2}{w}{r}

Legendary Planeswalker - Gudom (Mythic Rare)

+2: Return a card you own from exile to your hand.
-1: Exile up to two cards from your graveyard. For each card exiled this way, create a 2/2 White and Red Human Warrior creature token.
-8: Destroy all permanents with mana abilities.

Starting Loyalty: 4

How You Can Help (Again)!
You've made it all the way to the end; I think congratulations and thanks are once again in order. If you're interested in being a part of the development of Bounty of the North in any way, please don't hesitate to reply to this post or send me a private message with any and all thoughts on specific cards, mechanics, storylines, cool art, etc... I'm sure you noticed new wacky things going on in the new cards, and it's gonna take a lot to narrow it down to just the coolest, most balanced stuff. But it wouldn't be fun if it were easy! If you just want to stay updated on how it's going, make sure to like and follow this thread, where I will do my best to post somewhat regular updates. You can also check out my card gallery on mtgcardsmith (jonahwarner227) where I will be uploading and updating all the card designs as this project progresses. Thanks again for taking the time to read this whole thing, and I'm excited to work with you on Bounty of the North!

See you on Krisegard!
-firebrand549

TrueNeutralPaladin

• Decks
Re: I am building a set! Would you like to help?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 12:40:03 pm »
Interesting story. I like that it doesn't involve "the main cast" of heroes and instead features Calix and Tamiyo.

Raseri, Rage Queen

{1}{r}{g}

Legendary Creature - Human Warrior (Rare)

Berserker 4 (This creature enters the battlefield with 4 rage counters. If it would be dealt damage, you may remove a rage counter from it. If you do, prevent that damage.)
Whenever another creature you control would enter the battlefield with one or more counters of any type on it, you may have it enter with that many plus two counters of that type instead.

5 / 3

I like the Beserker keyword, but CMC 3 seems too low - for four turns she'll kill anything of comparable cost without dying to combat damage herself. That's strong. Maybe 2RG?

Haft, Master Reassembler
{2}{u}{b}{g}

Legendary Creature - Zombie Wizard (Mythic Rare)

Whenever another creature is put into your graveyard from anywhere, distribute up to X +1/+1 counters among creatures you control, where X is that creature's converted mana cost.
If it had any keyword abilities, distribute those too.

2 / 3

I like the concept, but my first thought was that keeping track of distributed keywords might be a problem.  I suppose you could have keyword token cards that you attach to the target creatures as reminders. I wonder if this concept is similar to the upcoming "build your own monster" mechanic for Ikoria.

The ability should probably exile the cannibalized creature, both for flavor and balance.

Olvudel, the Partially-Named

{w}{w}

Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (Rare)

Whenever a spell or ability you control exiles a permanent, gain 1 life and draw a card.
{3}{w},{t}: Exile target permanent. You may return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.

2 / 2

Card draw for white is good, but repeatable exile of any permanent for CMC 4 seems quite strong for casual EDH. Granted, it is attached to a fragile body.

At the very least, it should probably be target nonland permanent.

Gudom, the Savior
{2}{w}{r}

Legendary Planeswalker - Gudom (Mythic Rare)

+2: Return a card you own from exile to your hand.
-1: Exile up to two cards from your graveyard. For each card exiled this way, create a 2/2 White and Red Human Warrior creature token.
-8: Destroy all permanents with mana abilities.

Starting Loyalty: 4

This guy is great - no changes to suggest! I especially like how his last ability is both interesting (destroys both lands and mana dorks) and fitting to the story.

Rooker

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 05:06:08 pm »
The Rage Queen seems very OP to me. I see people using cards like Endless One, Walking Ballista for zero, etc, and I could also see a lot of cards that enter with one counter becoming very broken (Myojin of Life's Web and the other ones that use divinity counters). With cards like Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig, she is just ridiculously good. I'd reduce it to just giving one extra counter, and I'd make her a 4/1.

The Zombie Wizard would be too hard to keep track of. As well, I can see it making Flash even more hated in EDH. It could be ridiculously good with cards like Champion of Lambholt, Falkenrath Externinator, and Simic Manipulator. I think that just having an ability where "whenever a non token creature you control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control" would be good. Otherwise cards like Ghalta, Primal Hunger, Allosaurus Rider, and cards with Affinity would get pretty crazy.

The -1 on your planeswalker seems a little too good. 2 2/2's for 4 mana isn't too bad on it's own, not including the planeswalker it leaves behind.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 05:23:57 pm »
I'll think more on it, but for now...

Act 1 Reprints:
Mana Flare - story
Trollhide - not many good trolls as creatures. This allows that lore to show through
Bonebreaker Giant - common giant
Hill Giant - common giant
Zombie Goliath - common giant
Grizzly Bear - natural plane =  low magic
Short Sword - weak mages = more normal warriors

TolueneCat

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 05:52:50 pm »
I’d be interested to explore a little bit of the world of the trolls. Perhaps they are truly barbaric and monstrous, but perhaps they also have their own little bits of civilization and ritual. Maybe they detest outsiders but develop close civil bonds with one another. Maybe they, unlike traditional trolls and such, have magical abilities more akin to that of human sorcerers, where they can shape and form the wild magic that is part of their being. That also might not be the way you want to take it ;)
A couple ideas.

War-Chant Drummer
{1} {r} {r}
Creature - Troll (uncommon)
Whenever War-Chant Drummer enters the battlefield or attacks, another creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

2/1

The beat of his drum echoes the heartbeat of his world.

Also, for Calix:
Calix, Warrior of Nyx
{1} {w} {g}
Legendary Planeswalker- Calix (Mythic Rare)

0: Until end of turn, whenever you cast an enchantment, put a loyalty counter on Calix, Warrior of Nyx
-1: Return target enchantment or artifact to its owner’s hand.
-7: You get an emblem with “Whenever you cast an enchantment, you may exile it instead. Search your library and hand for an enchantment with equal or lower mana cost, then put it on the battlefield.”

Starting loyalty 3

That minus one is a lil busted but I wanted something that would reflect “correcting fate” like, preventing interference, and it’s nice for all the enchantresses out there

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 05:56:04 pm by TolueneCat »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 07:20:22 pm »
Distributing the keyword abilities would be a nightmare to keep up with. I'd go with making it a quasi zombie lord with something like "whenever another zombie you control dies, distribute X +1/+1 counters among zombies you control where X is that creatures power".
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:03:14 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

firebrand549

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 12:31:42 am »
Thank you all for the responses! When I posted I thought there was a decent chance I would end up being the only person posting on this thread, but it’s so cool that y’all have gotten involved. Here are my thoughts:

On Raseri: Yes, she’s a bit OP. I like her at cmc 3, so nerfs are needed. I think dropping her ability to one additional counter is totally reasonable, especially when I consider walking ballista or just all walkers entering with two extra counters. I also agree that in its current form berserker 4 is too good. Either I need to rethink how the ability works, or Raseri needs to only have Berserker 1 or 2 at most. One option I’ve considered is removing “may” from the ability and having to sacrifice the creature when the last is removed. I like her power and toughness about where it is, but I could see her at 4/3 or 5/2.

On Haft (and keywords): I’m very much counting on the keyword counters that will be in Ikoria on this one, otherwise keeping track would be awful like y’all have mentioned. His original ability was exiling cards from your graveyard in order to redistribute the counters and keywords, do we think that could be better?

On Olvudel: Yep, should totally be exile target nonland. That was an oversight on my part and being able to hit lands would be too much. I also think his ability should only trigger when you exile one of your own permanents.

On Gudom: Very much a card born from flavor, do you think that making his -1 into a -2 would be enough balance? The reason I had it at -1 is that I want him to be able to still gain loyalty while rotating between his + and his -, especially since his + isn’t gonna be especially useful until you’ve used the -.

On Calix: I like the abilities, but I think the card reveals some issues with my choosing to use calix in the set. His current identity is inextricably linked to enchantments, and right now I don’t envision this as an enchantment-heavy set. I wonder if we could explore the other side of Calix: he is an agent of destiny, and while scry, surveil, and similar abilities aren’t very white or green, I would like to find some way for his abilities to move away from enchantments slightly (doesn’t have to be entirely). Maybe suspend or a suspend-like ability could find its way into his design somehow.

Once again, I appreciate the feedback and ideas from all y’all, even those I didn’t specifically address in this post. I’m keeping all of it in mind as I build the set and everything goes into my ever-growing ideas doc which is gonna look like a mad scientist’s notebook before too long haha.

firebrand549

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 01:28:09 am »
Progress Report
Hi everyone! I've just hit a certain milestone so I thought it'd be a good time to update everyone on how it's been going. I'm now at 50 original cards designed for Bounty of the North, with plenty more on the drawing board. That puts me at about 20% of my goal, but I have a feeling the first 20% is the easiest. So, I can still use all the help I can get!

How you can help!
1. Like I said, the first 20% is the easiest, and I still need a couple of bomb mythics, a good amount of playable rares, a bunch of solid uncommons, and all those sweet, sweet commons! If you have any ideas for cool flavorful cards for the set, don't hesitate to post them! If you're interested in being a big part of the design of Bounty of the North, PM me and let's swap ideas!
2. Although I've been focusing on making new cards, I've also identified about half of the already existing cards I want in the set, so keep the reprint ideas coming!
3. Stay up to date on the progress of the set by turning on notifications for this thread and following me on mtgcardsmith (https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/jonahwarner227). That way, you can be the first to see new cards as I turn them out and give me valuable feedback. Without feedback, I'm just gonna end up with a bunch of disjointed, unbalanced cards. They could still be cool, but that wouldn't be a set.

New Cards
And now, some new goodies for you! All of these and more are already available on https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/jonahwarner227, but here's a selection of favorites:

Ondsvalt, the Endbringer {4}{g}{g}{g}

Legendary Creature - Elemental Wurm (Mythic Rare)

Trample, protection from monocolored
When Ondsvalt, the Endbringer enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of lands. If you do, it enters with that many +1/+1 counters and fights that many creatures.

6/6

Kelser, First Among Equals {w}{u}{b}

Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (Mythic Rare)

Wizard spells you cast cost {1} less to cast.

Whenever a wizard enters the battlefield under your control, exile target instant or sorcery from your graveyard under it. For as long as that wizard remains on the battlefield, you may cast that spell, then exile it normally.

2/3

Storm Twins {3}{r}{r}{u}{u}

Legendary Creature - Wurm (Mythic Rare)

Flying, Double Strike

Storm Twins doesn't untap during your untap step unless it was dealt damage since your last untap step.

Spells you control with a single target have Storm.

3/4

Vokter, Lively Exile {1}{w}{g}

Legendary Creature, Elf Scout (Uncommon)

When Vokter, Lively Exile enters the battlefield, create Kurre, Trusted Friend, a legendary 2/1 green and white creature token with flying, first strike and "When this creature deals combat damage to a player, create a food token."

3/3

Changes to Berserker
After doing some balancing regarding berserker cards, I decided there needed to be a way for them to have low enough mana cost to be effective in aggro without being totally overpowered comaprwd to existing aggro staples. Here is my current solution:

Berserker X
(This creature enters the battlefield with X rage counters. If it would be dealt damage, remove a rage counter from it and prevent that damage. Sacrifice this card if it has no rage counters on it.)

By making whatever amount of damage removes the last rage counter lethal, defenders against Berserker can be a bit more strategic in how they go about using their spells, and attackers may decide they don’t want to waste their rage attacking into a measly 1/1. It also opens up a lot of synergy with Rakdos sacrifice. Berserker is obviously still in development, but at the moment the only change I’m still mulling over is whether removing a rage counter should just prevent all damage for that turn, so that a board of 1/1s can’t totally ruin a Berserker’s day. Although maybe a board of 1/1s SHOULD ruin a berserker’s day. Let me know what you think.

Next Update
Tune in next time for a cycle of Sagas and more Planeswalkers! Remember, you can see everything ahead of time by following me at https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/jonahwarner227
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 05:28:59 pm by firebrand549 »

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 03:19:50 am »
First, I think this is a cool idea and I admire the work you're putting into it.

Next, a few balance thoughts:

Ondsvalt should probably say "fights up to that many creatures" just in case you want to sac a bunch of lands and not wipe yourself or be unable thanks to insufficient targets.

Kelser seems cool, but the normal wording is "you may cast that spell (for as long as the creature remains on the battlefield). If that spell would be put into your graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead."

Storm Twins is nonsense broken. I don't know what kind of single target spells you'll have in here, but that card is silly in something like EDH. Oh, Grapeshot? That's cute. How about Lightning Bolt with storm? It should probably be a vanilla 3/3 with {t}: target spell you control with a single target gains Storm. That would still be really good. (Yes, Thousand-Year Storm exists, but it doesn't have a body, especially a Flying, Double Strike body, and it can't be your commander in EDH.)

Vokter isn't necessarily broken, but a 3/3 AND a 2/1 Flying, First Strike is pretty crazy value for 1GW. Look at Tolsimir Wolfblood and Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves. While they both have a couple of rider effects, they also make vanilla creatures. A 2/1 Flying, First Strike would probably cost 3 by itself (EDIT: apparently the only example is Voiceless Spirit, which is, in fact, 3 cmc). A 3/3 for 2 is pretty good in limited. Both for 3 would be insane.

Again, I think this is a really cool idea and I'm just trying to provide some feedback. Also, I mostly play EDH, so take this with a grain of salt. Except the stuff about Storm Twins. They're definitely bonkers.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:36:30 am by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

firebrand549

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 04:23:38 am »
Again, I think this is a really cool idea and I'm just trying to provide some feedback. Also, I mostly play EDH, so take this with a grain of salt. Except the stuff about Storm Twins. They're definitely bonkers.

If all I got was good feedback, there really wouldn’t be any point, so thank you!

Let’s start with Storm Twins. Yep, they’re broken. Just absurd. They also don’t really fit the theme of the set as much as I’d like. To be honest, I struggled to come up with an Izzet flagship card that didn’t feel like a near-functional reprint of something that already existed, but maybe I should lean a little more into what already exists and just put my spin on it. Anyway I figured I’d put them out there in their current WTF form and see if they sparked any ideas.

Vokter I think is a product of me starting my designing with primarily rares and mythics haha. He’s way too mana efficient for uncommon. I’m thinking of changing his familiar to 1/1 flying without the food ability but giving Vokter a Soul Warden-esque ability instead.

Thanks for better wording on Kelser, struggled finding the concise version.

And Ondsvalt. I actually originally had him at 4/4 or 5/5 with the fight ability reading like you suggested, but I intentionally powered him up and changed the wording. First of all, flavorfully, he’s supposed to cleanse the whole world by devouring it so it can start anew, he feels like he shouldn’t be totally asymmetrical. And then balance-wise, I think it makes sense to have this as well. You’ll probably have him out at a time when you have mostly if not entirely green creatures out, so Ondsvalt won’t be in danger of dying from fighting your own creatures, but you WILL have to sacrifice a fair bit of your army if you want to drop a giant Ondsvalt when your opponent already has no board. Maybe I’m wrong and he would be better the way you suggest, but that’s where I’m coming from.

Anyway, thanks again for checking out the cards and for the feedback!

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 07:09:52 am »
You could make Storm Twins something like this:
UURR
3/3
When you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may pay UURR and exile it. If you do, copy the spell and flip a coin. If heads, the copy gains Cascade. If tails, the copy gains Storm.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

firebrand549

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 07:12:06 am »
Wow I freaking love that actually! I think at that point I would rebrand them from the storm twins to some unpredictable/uncontrollable but very powerful mage (which would tie in with stat drop), but they were pretty out of place already anyway.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 07:54:07 am »
This is probably the wrong place for it but there's a card that's actually missing from the entire game of Magic. We've got Transguild Courier and Sphinx of the Guildpact but not one that is a lower CMC and a legendary creature. Definitely not trying to push my EDH needs here.

Halvbjorn, Host to Everyone
{3}
Legendary Creature - Human (Rare)

Halvbjorn, Host to Everyone is all colors.

2/2

I'm actually happy here but you could tack an extra ability - perhaps with a 'colors matter' theme. "Whenever you cast a creature spell scry 1 for each of its colors." Would that be OP? Scrying X where X is the number of colours would probably be a little too powerful.

EDIT: Changed name from Halvbjorn, Host to All to Halvbjorn, Host to Everyone.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:05:28 pm by MustaKotka »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 05:11:05 pm »
I like the Berserker ability quite a bit. I personally would also like to see it as well offensively. Something like remove a rage counter and deal double damage or remove rage counter and deal damage as if the creature wasn't being blocked.

Question on Gudom, it is the +2 ability. I would prefer it be only play cards exiled only by Gudom instead

Forvan and Sknigar of the Way I kind of like but paying 7 mana to put only 5 cards into my hand without playing them would just slow me down for a turn. To costly to gain that many cards

I also like Unleashed Blood Mage because it could work well with the planeswalkers in any set
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 05:20:53 pm by robort »
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

firebrand549

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 05:21:30 pm »
I like the Berserker ability quite a bit. I personally would also like to see it as well offensively. Something like remove a rage counter and deal double damage or remove rage counter and deal damage as if the creature wasn't being blocked.

I like that idea! I am worried about it getting out of hand kind of quick, but on lower Berserker count creatures that could work! Here are some other Berserker creatures that I have drafts of:

Odol, Shielded by Madness {X}{r}{r}

Legendary Creature - Human Warrior (Mythic Rare)

Berserker X

Odol’s power and toughness are each equal to the number of Rage counters on him.

*/*

Valdborn Berserker {3}{r}

Creature - Giant Warrior (Rare)

Trample, Berserker 3

Whenever another creature you control with Berserker attacks, it gets menace and +X/+O until end of turn, where X is equal to the number of rage counters on it.

5/4

Edit
I originally forgot to mention the changes I’ve made to Berserker since the first post, I’ve edited my big update post to reflect it but to summarize: Berserkers now are automatically sacrificed when they lose their last rage counter.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 05:30:20 pm by firebrand549 »