deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Plethora of Commander products coming in 2020  (Read 867 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Plethora of Commander products coming in 2020
« on: February 10, 2020, 05:33:50 pm »
https://www.phdgames.com/new-magic-commander-product-lineup-2020/

This may have been discussed already but I couldn't find a topic dedicated to it...To play devil's advocate here:

Four different products plus you have to expect there will be cards printed in the regular sets to drive Commander players to buy them, so I ask the question...are they starting to give too much support to the format? You know, pushing it too much to where players will have to pick and choose more than they already do since most people only have a certain amount they can/wish to spend on the hobby?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 05:56:30 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Judaspriester

• Decks
Re: Plethora of Commander products coming in 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 05:44:43 pm »
I also feel like there was already a discussion about this.

anyway, I've got mixed feelings about this.
Pro:
- good chances for some (necessary) staple reprints (if you take a look at the price chart for Idyllic Tutor, you will understand what I mean)
- some new and interesting toys to play with

Con:
- some new and interesting toys to play with
- more money to spend because there will be (most likely) more cards I want to have in my collection
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 05:48:42 pm »
"Are they starting to give too much support to the format?"
A commander player's appetite...IS. NEVER. SATED. (just make sure the products are reasonably priced please)

Personally, Commander is the only format for me. Standard rotates, and Modern, Pioneer, etc. all are too expensive (and are inherently competitive).

Also, I'm a green player. I see the green collection :D *happy noises* so I'm satisfied.

I think they are spacing out the commander products well, and I feel like they might be trying to do something similar to Secret Lair. Players may not purchase every single commander deck, but with the extremely large amount, there will be at least one for everybody.

That's just my take on it, though.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 05:55:43 pm »
Personally I felt overwhelmed last spring. It is so long ago, but I think it went like this. War of the spark, Modern Horizions, Core 2020, Commander 2019 and then the fall set. I forget. Was that theros, and then theros beyond death is the winter set?

I believe there were also a bunch of other little products smushed in between there too. It was like right after a pre release event, we went right into the next preview season. It was too much too often. I think most of us pay attention to all or most MTG products, not just commander stuff, so they are overdoing it even more.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 06:01:17 pm »
I think ultimately consumers are in control of how much they consume of a given product.

If WotC (or anyone for that matter) is producing more than you are willing to buy, you are not obligated to do so.

I think more products and Commander viable cards is a good thing, and while I agree it can feel like a bit of a whirlwind with one thing coming straight after another, I don't think being provided with more options is a bad thing. We have the power to pick and choose what we follow, what we buy and what we care about.

As someone who mostly plays commander, I will likely pay less attention to the standard sets this year as I know there is more commander stuff to come than usual. I like to draft too, but I'm free to pick and choose what I want based on how I feel at the time and how much money I'm willing to spend on it at any given time.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 06:29:37 pm »
Now for my real opinion lol...

I'm excited about the amount of product coming out this year for commander. I usually don't buy booster boxes or commander decks anyway (unless one of the decks really grabs my attention). The only booster box I've bought in the past few years is when I split the price of one with my son for Guilds of Ravnica and that was because it was cool father-son time sitting at the kitchen table cracking packs with him. And the last Commander deck I bought was, I can't even remember. The newest two I have are Edgar and Aminatou and they were both gifts.

Usually I just wait until the prices drop after the releases (pre-order prices are usually ridiculous) to buy singles or trade for what I want. I don't see that changing with all of these new products.
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 07:18:25 pm »
Definitely ready for more products! I've been so bored and I'm sure you guys have been missing my constant decklist posts :P
Nils is the God I worship

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 08:45:48 pm »
I'm sure you guys have been missing my constant decklist posts :P

I have!
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 11:16:50 pm »
So what are we specifically hoping for in the product?

Me personally, I'm hoping for several new zombies. To include maybe a new legendary zombie. Perhaps in Grixis where I don't really like any of the current options to try to build my favorite tribe around.
This space for rent.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 11:44:30 pm »
So what are we specifically hoping for in the product?

Me personally, I'm hoping for several new zombies. To include maybe a new legendary zombie. Perhaps in Grixis where I don't really like any of the current options to try to build my favorite tribe around.

A way to interact with planeswalker emblems?

I'm hoping the Legends set has a good number of updated versions of some of the cool characters from past sets whose original version sucked, such as the already revealed Baron Sengir.  I'd like more playable versions of Sol'kanar the Swamp King and Dakkon Blackblade… though maybe I just liked those two because of RKF's art...

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 12:12:06 am »
I'm hoping for Davvol.

Carnival of Souls still has my favourite flavour text.

Poor Davvol.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 03:40:16 am »
More elves. Always more elves. And / or shard lands that come in untapped for rainbow decks.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 04:59:09 pm »
Thought of another last night...the enemy cycle of Battle lands. 
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 05:15:50 pm »
Commanders with original, breakable abilities
Nils is the God I worship

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 08:05:22 pm »
More elves. Always more elves.

Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well.

I too would like a lot of land reprints. the other Battlelands & Shadowlands, the older, more expensive fastlands, etc.
I want more card draw for white, maybe along the lines of Mentor of the Meek, Bygone Spirit. While green is my favorite color, so I'm happy that it is (imo) the strongest mono color in commander, I wish that it wasn't so hard to build boros or mono white decks. Including green just makes it soo much easier to ramp, etc. and I wish it was a little more balanced.

Commanders with original, breakable abilities
Yeah, I'm getting pretty bored and am running out of commanders I'm interested in building. More 3-4 CMC, high impact, build around commanders like Alesha, Who Smiles at Death; Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca; Ezuri, Renegade Leader; and Marwyn, the Nurturer.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 08:12:02 pm by GolgariFTW »