deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Meren EDH (Kinda budget) - I'm not sure if it's fluid enough, help please  (Read 491 times)

Garzjla129

• Decks
https://deckstats.net/decks/141990/1521697-meren-sac-queen

I have been playing Meren for quite a while now and one of the most difficult things for me is to find a good win-con. Meren does a lot of things, it keeps the board clear, ramps, blinks the creatures...it's cool but once I'm in late game I am often destroyed by a powerful sorcery or something like that.

I've always used Exsanguinate and Kokusho, the evening star and Gray merchant of asphodel, but it's a slow grinding mechanic and it doesn't always work.

Someone suggested to me the combo Jarad, golgari lich lord + Lord of extinction and I've found similar stuff that works alike, such as Rite of consumption and Xathrid demon and Boneyard wurm. The problem is that I'm not sure what to take out of the deck to insert boneyard wurm, and idk if xathrid demon is worth it since it's so expensive in terms of mana.

I also am not sure about my card draw mechanics cause I find it weak? I'm using smothering abomination, indulgent tormentor, greater good and moldervine reclamation. They are good cards but they are slow too. I was thinking about adding stuff like altar's reap, momentous fall or life's legacy. I'm pretty confused because it feels cranky and slow like this, I had to take out morgue theft too and it feels like a pretty solid card in Meren. I reduced my ramp too.

I'm also not sure whether to include Flashbag marauder cause I already run his two bros.

I really need advice, please help <3

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:05:25 pm by Garzjla129 »
Ain't it a gentle sound the rolling in the graves...

🌳💀

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Meren EDH - I'm not sure if it's fluid enough, help please
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 05:45:56 pm »
You are lamenting the speed of your deck.  I submit that it is the quality of your ramp rather than the quality of your draws.  I only counted 5 actual pieces of ramp.  That is far too few.  Rites of Spring, Yavimaya Elder, and Satyr Wayfinder are not ramp.  These effectively read "draw a land".  Helpful to hit land drops, but it doesn't put you ahead on mana. 

I would definitely replace these with the Rampant Growth from your sideboard and some mana dorks - Llanowar Elves, Birds of Paradise, Elves of Deep Shadow, etc.  Anything that are one drops and make mana.  Then I'd probably make room for 2 or 3 more mana dorks. 

Increasing the quality of your ramp will let you cast more things, which will increase the quality of your existing draw spells.  I would start there and then reevaluate the card draw package.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Garzjla129

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 12:12:58 am »

Revision 14

Added/removed cards:
-1 Grisly Salvage
-1 Rites of Spring
-1 Satyr Wayfinder
+1 Deathreap Ritual
+1 Deathsprout
+1 Rampant Growth
-1 (SB) Morgue Theft
-1 (SB) Sylvan Ranger
+1 (SB) Bankrupt in Blood
+1 (SB) Innocent Blood

Changed amounts:
+1 (Main) -1 (SB) Altar's Reap
-1 (Main) +1 (SB) Woe Strider
+1 (Main) -1 (SB) Wood Elves
-1 (Main) +1 (SB) Woodfall Primus

🌳💀

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 02:02:34 am »
Isn't this the deck you keep trying to make more budget? Usually, getting clunkier is a consequence of that.

Either way, I agree about your ramp. You should have more slots dedicated to things like Black Market, Burnished Hart, and other ramp effects. I'm not really sure of what budget versions of those would be.

Your card draw could also use work. Phyrexian Arena, Greed, Night's Whisper, etc... Bloodgift Demon is much better than Indulgent Tormentor.

For a wincon, I think the normal way would be a soft lock with Grave Pact effects or just grinding with ETB value and beaters. Again, not really familiar with budget options. Butcher of Malakir looks cheap, and going all in with Plaguecrafter type creatures could get there.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Garzjla129

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 04:55:03 pm »

Revision 15

Added/removed cards:
-1 Evolving Wilds
-1 Finale of Eternity
-1 Terramorphic Expanse
+1 Hag Hedge-Mage
+1 Loyal Subordinate
+1 Road of Return
+1 Spawning Pit
-1 (SB) Bankrupt in Blood
-1 (SB) Woe Strider
+1 (SB) Fleshbag Marauder

Changed amounts:
-1 (Main) +1 (SB) Altar's Reap
-1 (Main) +1 (SB) Diabolic Tutor
+1 Forest

I think I'm getting closer and closer to something solid, what do you think?

The last time I played something really weird happened, I either only got lands or only expensive stuff  :-\ Trying to fix it lol

Also, I have 8 ramp cards in here (including deathsprout), sounds good or should I add something else? I'm not a fun of things like llanowar elves cause my point in this deck is to sacrifice so it would be pretty useless.

I prefer indulgent tormentor to bloodgift demon because I already own the card and every time I play it in my group I always draw, no one decides to sacrifice or lose 3 life. So it's fine.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:02:53 pm by Garzjla129 »

🌳💀

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 05:21:22 pm »
I'm not a fun of things like llanowar elves cause my point in this deck is to sacrifice so it would be pretty useless.
Just a side note: Llanowar Elves is a good pieces of ramp and more so in your deck because you can sacrifice it at the end once you have enough mana and don't need it anymore. Even though it's excellent ramp Rampant Growth for example doesn't work for that purpose.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Garzjla129

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 03:16:10 pm »
I'm not a fun of things like llanowar elves cause my point in this deck is to sacrifice so it would be pretty useless.
Just a side note: Llanowar Elves is a good pieces of ramp and more so in your deck because you can sacrifice it at the end once you have enough mana and don't need it anymore. Even though it's excellent ramp Rampant Growth for example doesn't work for that purpose.

Well, you have a point, I'll think about it

🌳💀