deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Tasigur Self-Mill  (Read 484 times)

Spinsane

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Tasigur Self-Mill
« on: February 11, 2020, 07:29:07 pm »
Tasigur Self-Mill

WIP - Initial draft of a Self-Mill / Hermit Druid / Necrotic Ooze deck.

Main victory routes:
- Hermit Druid
- Any infinite mana combo (Necrotic Ooze with a combo pair in the GY, or Deadeye Navigator and Peregrine Drake) can then let Tassigur get into play and use his ability until the whole deck is in hand...

The deck looks fragile, as I have little recursion avenues or protection/removal, so I have no idea how well it would perform, but this is just an initial quick draft. Mana base also needs a closer look.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Tasigur Self-Mill
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 08:34:00 pm »
Yeah so I built Tasigur a bit ago, tried a couple different builds but found he wasn't for me. I do want to point out, though, that Necrotic Ooze with Tasigur is not good at all. The few games I played, I would activate his ability and they would put Necrotic Ooze or one of the combo pieces with it into my hand. It made it very hard to assemble a combo with either: both pieces in the yard and necrotic ooze on the field or both pieces on the field. Otherwise, it looks solid. If you are interested in another win condition, replace all your cheap elf dorks with the 3 signets in your colors, the 3 talismans in your colors, and Arcane Signet. Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter is a combo that doesnt require much dedication outside the 2 slots those cards take up (only requires you to run nonland ramp). While the dorks still work with Dramatic Scepter, they are vulnerable to removal and have summoning sickness.

Reality Shift + Beast Within with infinite mana with Tasigur is a favorite of mine. Cast Beast Within on all your opponent's permanents, then Reality Shift the beasts (then morphs) until your opponents only have a board of morphs and empty library.

https://deckstats.net/decks/120669/1420212-tasigur-combo/en
Here's what I have built. Ignore the combo aspect of the deck, but I like to think all my other sections have a lot of the best options available for Tasigur. Especially look at the Recursion section if you want to make the deck more resistent to removal. Tasigur also plays well with removal/counterspells, as you can  employ politics and convince one opponent to give you a key Assassin's Trophy back or Negate to stop another player from comboing. Because of this, I think most Tasigur decks should have a larger interaction suite than 5 removal pieces and 6 counterspells.

Tell me what you think!

Spinsane

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 10:39:35 pm »
I originally wanted to build a Hermit Druid/Necrotic Ooze deck and thus went for Tasigur as a way to add another possible 1 mana body for Dread Return in case one of the others ended up in exile. I'm aware that Necrotic Ooze doesn't mesh well with Tasigur's ability, but that's not much of a concern, imo.

At the moment, since I don't own an Isochron Scepter I won't be adding it to the deck, but will definitely look into getting one eventually (alright, just realized they're not as expensive as I thought, so will be getting one sooner than I thought...)

I'll keep your recommendation in mind regarding the interaction pieces, as it's a compelling point I hadn't considered. I just need to find room for them all, which I think will require that I rethinkg the whole Hermit Druid/Necrotic Ooze idea...

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 06:32:36 pm »
I have a few suggestions for what to cut:
The Hermit Druid combo with Dread Return could be compacted a few cards.
You need 3 creatures for it. Narcomoeba is 1, Fatestitcher is 2, and after unearthing Fatestitcher, you can tap him to untap a black land and delve out Tasigur if necessary for 3. Therefore, I think that Dregscape Zombie and Gravecrawler.

Leyline of Anticipation doesn't seem super at home here, as a lot of the cards your opponents will be willing to give you will be instant speed removal, instant speed cantrips, etc.

Reclamation Sage, Icthyomorphis, and Frogify are all subpar here. They don't go to the gy unless an opponent actively seeks to destroy them, so its hard to use them repeatedly with Tasigur.

Right now, your win conditions seem overkill to me. Once you get your Hermit Druid activation, here's how I think you win: Pili-Pala + Palladium Myr gives you infinite mana (and infinite untaps as a result) and Prodigal Sorcerer can ping your opponents to death. Quillspike + Devoted Druid go neutral on mana, so they still need Pili-Pala + Palladium Myr to actually do anything. Basically, the way I'm seeing it right now (I may be just not seeing how they work as a backup plan) they aren't necessary and can go.

Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, Laboratory Maniac, and Thassa's Oracle: Considering they aren't necessary to win, that's wayy to much. I'd probably go for Thassa's Oracle, maybe Jace if you really want him, and drop Lab Man. At this point, Lab Man has been outclassed.

Taigam, Sidisi's Hand: While not a bad card, it just feels underwhelming. It only triggers once a turn (unlike Underrealm Lich) and its removal ability quickly eats up your graveyard. I dunno, this one really depends on how he's felt when playing.

The cantrips: I found that having a bunch of cantrips made Tasigur activations boring, as my opponents just kept giving them to me. Still depends on your experience, tho.

Leyline Prowler: Bleh. Ugh. Why? Run Arcane Signet instead (or Fellwar Stone because Sultai are the most common colors in commander). Not an essentially 3 mana CIPT rock. Ew.

Ok, with all that said, here are my top suggestions for what to include in any slots you do decide to cut:
1. Thornling: Gives Necrotic Ooze haste so you don't have to wait a turn after doing the whole Hermit Druid --> Dread Return thing. Very, very important!!

2. Reality Shift: A really good removal spell in general that provides yet another alt win condition in case you get infinite mana but Prodigal Sorcerer is removed. Even if it didn't provide that safety net of a win condition, I'd still run it.

3. Assassin's Trophy: If you have le money for it and your playgroup doesn't get a major advantage from the extra lands (basically, if there are ramp/landfall decks, it may not be the way to go), it's an auto include. Fantastic card.

4. Abrupt Decay: Depending on your play group, it can be fantastic. If it tends to be more competitive (oftentimes lots of counterspells and low cmc threats) then it definitely deserves a spot.

5. Muddle the Mixture: Good counterspell or it can find Hermit Druid. Epic.

6. Sultai Charm: 3 mana that can draw some cards (and get a card you want in your gy in your gy) or remove a mono colored creature or any artifact/enchantment. Extremely flexible.

A lot of my suggestions depend on what type of cards you are looking to include:
More removal: Return to Nature, Price of Fame
More Tutors: Traverse the Ulvenwald, Eldritch Evolution/Neoform + Rune-Scarred Demon,
More Recursion: Tamiyo, Collector of Tales; Seasons Past; Noxious Revival

Tell me what you think about my suggested cuts & give me some more specifications on what types of cards you're looking to include in their place!

Twicebakedato

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 07:07:31 pm »
Hey, I too have been brewing tasigur for awhile now, and have tried all but the ooze combo. I wont argue for whats most efficient, il drop my deck list here. seems to be a similar budget, might find useful includes. I also have many variations of tasigur decks save (but il post just my most recent). Happy gaming! https://deckstats.net/decks/107024/1550964-tasigur-scepter-fishhulk-budge/en

Spinsane

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 01:23:58 am »
Tell me what you think about my suggested cuts & give me some more specifications on what types of cards you're looking to include in their place!
Lots of great suggestions in there, many/most of which I ended up applying to the deck.

Since I didn't have Demonic Consultation or its ilk I figured you were right, redundancies weren't as necessary for the Hermit Druid combo to work... I also tried to add a few more infinite mana possibilities, since these pretty much turn Tasigur into an auto-win...