deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Are Oathbreaker or Brawl still being played?  (Read 627 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Are Oathbreaker or Brawl still being played?
« on: February 19, 2020, 05:37:16 pm »
I know initially there was a good amount of players at my LGS playing it but it seems I'm not seeing anyone play it now. Is this just a local thing or is it the case overall?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:54:08 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Are Oathbreak or Brawl still being played?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 05:55:20 pm »
My playgroup still plays a bit of Oathbreaker.

Usually it's when it's getting on a bit and we don't have time to play another game of EDH. We'll crack out a game or two of Oathbreaker.

That said, we don't build or maintain our Oathbreaker decks with nearly the same level of care or attention we have for our EDH decks.

We've never even thought about playing Brawl. Rotating formats are not for us.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Are Oathbreaker or Brawl still being played?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 07:14:04 pm »
I think I'm the last person in my city with a Brawl deck. It did not last long.

I know there was a group of players near me that we're playing Oathbreaker on a regular basis, but I don't know if they are still going.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 07:50:50 pm »
I don't think anybody except for WOTC cronies ever played Brawl eugh. Commander + rotating is not a good combination.

I used to play Oathbreaker, but meh. I like that commander is a slower format and love that that fact combined with the fact that decks are 100 vs. 60 cards, I can play a bunch of fun cards that wouldn't fit into an Oathbreaker deck with a similar theme.

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 08:47:45 pm »
I personally kept one Oathbreaker deck just in case, but my friends and I rarely play. I don't plan on dismantling it though as I do enjoy the format.

Brawl is a dumb idea on paper, but I think it's a good idea for Arena. Commander is so popular that it would be insane to not have something similar on Arena, the online platform they want to push. WotC is just going about this whole Brawl business in the dumbest way possible. I get the impression that they don't think anything through that much. All that being said, I am not interesting in Brawl at all.

terminalgeek

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 08:52:51 pm »
I played Oathbreaker once and haven't run across anyone else looking to place since. Brawl I've never ran across someone looking to play in paper, but I play it a lot on Arena just to get my EDH fix. I'd be interested in playing multi-player brawl but even the recent Brawl precons didn't seem to kick up any interest at my local LGS.

Yhippa

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 06:24:20 am »
Brawl is a dumb idea on paper, but I think it's a good idea for Arena. Commander is so popular that it would be insane to not have something similar on Arena, the online platform they want to push. WotC is just going about this whole Brawl business in the dumbest way possible. I get the impression that they don't think anything through that much.

I really like Brawl for Arena also. Paper, not so much.  Commander is perfectly fine. I wouldn't be opposed to playing more Brawl IRL though.  Or if they had a Commander-type format that went back to the same starting point as Pioneer or Modern.

I think that free Brawl probably became too popular on Arena which is why they had to put up barriers to entry. They probably did the math and figured out that it doesn't drive purchasing as much as Standard does.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 01:21:34 am »
Actually, I never have played both formats. At Bulgaria, there's COVID-19 pandemic, actually it's everywhere, I think, clubs are closed and heretofore, I have been only on FNMs, playing Modern, that as Tribal player is my favourite format and which is more popular than Brawl. Again: EDH is way more played than Oathbreaker, but I've been only to several matches, as I've only 2 EDH decks and Adaptive Enchantment is just my second one. About the digital version of the game? Sorry, but I never bothered to get info it. I find it vastly inferior due to the social interaction and perceived (by me at least) lack of integration of the physical medium in the digital counterpart. I haven't even ever registered in it and I highly doubt I'll ever will.
Kind regards,
Painbearer